Sponsored by:

hood release broke on my c3 1978

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:44 PM
dewittcorley78,80
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood release broke on my c3 1978

My cable to open my hood broke off right at the end of the pull handle. I started looking for a way to open my hood and everyone said you have to go behind the windshield wipers and go through a hole and with a screwdriver and release the latch. Or you can jack it up and get a clothes hanger and somehow open it. But i have a new way . Your cable goes through a sleeve and goes up through the firewall .i was thinking there has to be another way. So. I removed the bolt holding my hood release bracket and sleeve and it came out from under the dash then i pulled it off my cable that was broke then there was just the wire showing i grabbed the hood release cable with a pair of pliers and released my hood. Way better way to open your hood. Not to mention everyone that showed their way about opening the hood through the windshield wiper area their hood was already opened . I hope this helps everyone who has a broken hood release. I know it was much easier than the alternative. When you go back with the new cable you will have to remove the fuse box it has 2 screws.

Last edited by dewittcorley78,80; 01-12-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: mispelled words
Old 01-12-2015, 03:14 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dewittcorley78,80
My cable to open my hood broke off right at the end of the pull handle. I started looking for a way to open my hood and everyone said you have to go behind the windshield wipers and go through a hole and with a screwdriver and release the latch. Or you can jack it up and get a clothes hanger and somehow open it. But i have a new way . Your cable goes through a sleeve and goes up through the firewall .i was thinking there has to be another way. So. I removed the bolt holding my hood release bracket and sleeve and it came out from under the dash then i pulled it off my cable that was broke then there was just the wire showing i grabbed the hood release cable with a pair of pliers and released my hood. Way better way to open your hood. Not to mention everyone that showed their way about opening the hood through the windshield wiper area their hood was already opened . I hope this helps everyone who has a broken hood release. I know it was much easier than the alternative. When you go back with the new cable you will have to remove the fuse box it has 2 screws.
Glad you got your hood open. But if the cable breaks under the hood your way will not work.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:14 PM
dewittcorley78,80
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very true. But it didn't on mine and it worked great. My holes behind my windshield washer were covered up. And coukdnt get to them.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:34 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

Most break under the hood so you were lucky!! Better go by some lottery tickets!

Get notified of new replies

To hood release broke on my c3 1978

Quick Reply: hood release broke on my c3 1978