Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 05:20 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone
Since I am already here, I will add a few more pics on some of the fender repairs.

Finishing up the underside of the passenger fender patch. More work needed on the fender above the patched area. We'll get that fixed up later.

Passenger side near the cowl where most of the fiberglass was missing.

Last pic, driver side where the hood seals to the fender. The SMC was brown from heat damage. I ground about half off, and put 2 layers of fiberglass on top. I will flip it over and grind out the rest of the bad material and add more fiberglass.

Very nice repair to the fender. I have also used the 3M resin and found it to work very well. Keep up the great work!
RVZIO
Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

looks good , you are really moving along with it
Old 08-29-2017, 11:06 AM
shaun8484
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

One of my fav threads
Old 08-30-2017, 02:25 AM
Pizoni
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet project! looking forward to seeing the completed car
Old 08-30-2017, 09:16 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Just went through the whole thread, very impressive!

Old 09-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
looks good , you are really moving along with it
Thanks bazza77. I took several days off work this past month so we got more done than normal. The pace is going to slow down a little now, but we will still keep a steady pace.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by shaun8484

One of my fav threads
Thanks shaun8484, we will try to keep posting as much as we can, including pics of the progress.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by Pizoni
Sweet project! looking forward to seeing the completed car
I can see the finished car already, just got to catch up the work on the car to match my imagination. Slow and steady is the pace! Thanks for following along.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by USMC 0802
Just went through the whole thread, very impressive!

Thanks USMC 0802. I'm glad you can join us and follow along!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Updates

Back in July I made it a goal to work hard this summer and see if I could get it painted by fall. I even took 8 extra vacation days off in July and August to help meet that goal. But the reality is we aren't going to make it, way to much work to do to get to that point and we're not going to cut any corners just to meet the goal. I know I have at least 150 hours in the body repairs and probably 300 more to make it perfect for paint. Not to worry, I'm not discouraged in any way, this will get done when it's done, and it will be done to the best of my ability. So moving forward here are some more updates with pics.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Rear bumper update 4

Did a little more work on the rear bumper and actually have it bolted on to the car now. Work on this may stop for now so I can concentrate on the front end. Here are few pics of the progress.

Had a few small gaps when mating the bumper to the rear, so I spread on a thin layer of Vette Panel Adhesive to take up those gaps. Now the fit is almost perfect.

I clamped the bumper to the car and then marked out where the holes needed to be drilled. I did the top row first, bolted it back on then worked on the sides. The sides needed to be pulled in a little at the bottom to fit up nice. I clamped the sides in place, marked out where to drill and drilled the holes.

Finished up the day by putting on a thin layer of Rage Gold on the bumper and back of the car, then bolted it back on. Just waiting now to sand it down smooth.

Last edited by Johnnycyclone; 09-03-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Front fender update 4

Still working on the front fenders, probably another two or three weeks before they will be ready to go back on. Here are the pics of the progress so far.

This is the last major repair that needs fiberglass. It's just heat damage that dried out he smc and turned it into brown dust. I actually attempted to repair this area back in 2014, but as you guessed it didn't turn out to well. So now that I have a little more experience it's looking much better. There is still more work to be done, but so far so good.

I have all of the sanding on the fiberglass repairs to the topside of the passenger fender. I put a thin layer of VPA on and also have most of that sanded down. It's down to just working out the small imperfections at this point, so we are getting close on this area.

Couple of pics of my specialty tools. Sandpaper mounted on paint sticks. Haha. It takes a lot of time hand sanding, but they do a great job.

Last edited by Johnnycyclone; 09-03-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Inner fenders

Before we can mount the fenders I have to finish up these inner fenders. I decided to fill in the holes that I don't expect to use on the drivers side. The passenger side is a new one so it doesn't have any holes.

This pic shows the repairs already made. I ground out the holes and filled them with fiberglass, sorry forgot to take a pic. I then ground down the fiberglass, added some Rage Gold to fill any imperfections and then hand sanded them smooth. Ready for primer.

Gave the wheel side a similar treatment. Ground out the holes, and filled them with fiberglass.

Instead to the Rage Gold for the wheel side I filled any of the small imperfections with VPA. It's still wet, but will get sanded smooth when it dries.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

That's all for now, going to take tomorrow off. Trying to ward off getting burned out on the project. I certainly won't miss the itching from fiberglass once we get to that point. For September I am going to continue to work on the body and get it as close as I can to be ready for paint. More to come.........
The following users liked this post:
USMC 0802 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 05:42 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default vette

Really nice work on all the areas you have shown. Must be very rewarding when you can step back and see your progress.

RVZIO
Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by rvzio
Really nice work on all the areas you have shown. Must be very rewarding when you can step back and see your progress.

RVZIO
Yes, you get a small reward with each piece that is brought back to like new condition. Of course when you start putting it all back together there are certain milestones that you hit that are very rewarding. It probably helps when you go through a few of the lows too. Like when you are standing there looking at a pile of parts and wondering how will this ever be a drivable car again!
Old 09-05-2017, 11:02 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone
Yes, you get a small reward with each piece that is brought back to like new condition. Of course when you start putting it all back together there are certain milestones that you hit that are very rewarding. It probably helps when you go through a few of the lows too. Like when you are standing there looking at a pile of parts and wondering how will this ever be a drivable car again!
My thoughts exactly, especially looking at the piles of stuff left.

rvzio

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Old 09-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Inner fender update

Finished up the inner fenders this weekend. I did 3 coats of slick sand and then a guide coat. Block sanded them with 220 grit sandpaper. Added 3 coats of 2K primer and then another guide coat. Sanded that with 400 grit sandpaper. Painted 3 coats of yellow and then 3 coats of clear. Here are a few more pics.

This is after the 2K primer has been sprayed.

Painted the inside of the inner fenders also before spraying any yellow.

Finished product.

Will be working on the front fenders for the next few weeks. Have some more work to do on them before mounting.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:30 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

that looks great , definitely easier to paint them as they are , (I did the same for my 69 but I put the holes for the rubber apron in first ) but we will have to be careful with the glue
Old 09-18-2017, 06:14 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default vette

Moving right along! Great to see how many different products you are using and getting good results for sure!
RVZIO

Quick Reply: Yellow 81 C3 Project Build