Sponsored by:

Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:17 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Front bumper

My original assessment of the front bumper fit was pretty optimistic. Now that I have the front fenders in place and secured, the fit doesn't look to good. Both sides stuck out about 2 inches. You can push them in but I really don't like trying to make them fit by having to push them in so far. Sorry, I had pics but can't find them and now it's too late.

Here is the solution to the problem. I ended up cutting the bumper into 3 sections and will piece it together from there.

The ends now fit the way the should.

But fixing that problem creates a new one. Check out the center gap.

Last edited by Johnnycyclone; 04-17-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Other bumper issues

Here's another issue with the fit of the bumper. Not a major issue just a minor adjustment needed.

You may not be able to see it but the bottom center of the bumper sticks out about an inch or so to far forward, which does two things. Number one it is pushing the top of the nose upward as seen in this pic.

The second issue is the bottom of the flare on the side is being pulled in.

By pushing in on the bottom of the nose it pulls down on the top of the nose and pushes the bottom of the flare back out.

Once the warm weather gets here then I can get some fiberglass work going and fix all of the issues. Thanks for checking in and hopefully we can continue with the updates until this is finished. Hoping again for paint by the end of summer.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:57 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

As one of the members always says.....Anyone can cut a car apart, but it takes a craftsman to put it back together.

I think you have the situation worked out.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:16 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by doorgunner
As one of the members always says.....Anyone can cut a car apart, but it takes a craftsman to put it back together.

I think you have the situation worked out.
Thanks, I had all winter to come up with the plan! Haha!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:44 PM
M Pete
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Am I allowed to ask where this bumper cover is from?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:59 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by M Pete
Am I allowed to ask where this bumper cover is from?
I don't see why not. I went with ACI Corvette in Sylvania Ohio. Two reasons I went with them.

1. Close to home so I could check out the quality before purchasing. Plus I didn't have to pay extra to have the parts shipped.

2. They have a car show and open house in late spring and offer a nice discount on their fiberglass, so I purchased everything last spring.

Sure they aren't bolt on, but I don't think anyone sells a fiberglass bumper the will simply bolt on and fit perfect, so I expected to have to rework them.

Here is their website. The prices are not in the catalog but in a separate price list, under Retail Prices. Let me know if you have any more questions.

http://www.acivette.com/
Old 04-19-2018, 10:09 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Looking great Johnny!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:17 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by chazde3
Looking great Johnny!
Thanks chaz. Your progress during the cold Michigan winter inspired me to get back on the project. It helps that I have a clean garage again so I have some space to work in. Looking forward to seeing your progress this summer. Carry on!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:24 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone
Thanks chaz. Your progress during the cold Michigan winter inspired me to get back on the project. It helps that I have a clean garage again so I have some space to work in. Looking forward to seeing your progress this summer. Carry on!
I made progress this winter? Man, it sure feels like I didn't do anything. Definitely didn't get as much as I would like to have done, but that garage was just too darn cold for too long. Hopefully dropping the engine in this weekend though!!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

I made progress this winter? Man, it sure feels like I didn't do anything. Definitely didn't get as much as I would like to have done, but that garage was just too darn cold for too long. Hopefully dropping the engine in this weekend though!!
I know how you feel. It always seems like the work the needs to be done is mountainous in comparison to what has already been done. I like to go back to the beginning of the thread and read through it. That helps to bring into perspective just how much work has actually been done. I am hoping after this summer the work the needs to be done will look much smaller in comparison to the work that has been done.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 AM
jdolomount
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great there Johnny!! Your workmanship is top notch!!

I did a chassis off restoration on my '74 so can definitely feel your pain and pleasure. I started my project in the spring of 2006 with what, I though, was a simple engine swap (lost original engine in 2003) and rear suspension upgrade. After crawling under the car for the first time in many years, I found holes in the chassis... Lots of holes. Thus started the 6 year project.

This picture was take exactly a week before i lost the original engine.

Just a sample of the rust damage.....There was much more!

This is July 2012 when she rolled out for the first time.

Forge on... you'll get there and that first ride will make it all worth it!!!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:57 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by jdolomount
Looking great there Johnny!! Your workmanship is top notch!!

Forge on... you'll get there and that first ride will make it all worth it!!!
jdolomount - That's a beautiful looking ride you have there, great job on the restoration, and thanks for sharing the pics. I always love looking at other projects. Also thanks for the compliment and the words of encouragement. It's been a little slow this spring but we had some projects around the house that needed to get done first. I just finished up the big one and will be spending more time on the project this summer.

Since I'm here let's post one pic, not much different than any of the one's before, but the difference is the fenders are now permanently bonded back on the car. I also dropped off a couple of totes full of parts to the sandblaster to have cleaned up. I'm planning on some late night activity working on the body and will post some pics when we can see some progress. Thanks again for checking in on the thread.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Well it's been a slow summer as far as the project goes. My goal was to spend at least some time on it each week, which I did, but it doesn't seem like much progress was made. That's always the way it seems, until you actually look back you see how far you have come. It would have been nice to get the body work done and at least in primer but it's not to be for this year. We're going to be close but I can feel we are running out of warm weather, so it is what it is.

So here is where we are at on the body.

The rear bumper is about 90% done, still have some tweaking here and there to get it perfect.
Door gaps are about 80% there, they look pretty good, but I'm not yet satisfied with them just yet.
Fenders are bonded back on to the car.
Hood needs a lot of work, probably 50% there and still needs the fit and gaps done.
Front bumper. I have the two halves fitted and starting to glass them back into one piece. Lots of work to do so probably 25% there.
T-tops need fitted and so those are at 0%.

Here are a couple of pics, not really showing to much, but we all like pics.

Last edited by Johnnycyclone; 09-08-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

The parts that I sent out for sand blasting returned and have been painted. Those parts included everything for the windshield wipers, the front stabilizer bar, headlight parts and all of the hardware for the hood, latches, hinges and prop bar.

I'm sure I am forgetting some of what has been done, but those are the main parts for the summer. I will try to do a better job of updating more often in the future. I will continue to work on the body as the weather allows. Once it gets to cold I'm going to switch over to the mechanical side and see if we can get it back together and running by next spring. That will give me the summer to finish up the body work and get some paint on it. Stay tuned for more updates more often. Sorry for the lack of posting this summer.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:57 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Johnny, how is the project coming along?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:17 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Johnny, how is the project coming along?
Hi Chuck! Thanks for checking in on me, I appreciate it. The project is still moving forward just at a much slower pace right now. To many home projects and not enough garage time. Add in the cold winter which doesn't want to leave and you got diminished motivation. I still spent some time on the project and made some progress, just didn't seem like enough to post any pics. Since I am here let me see if I can give a short update.

First project was the cold air door. Disassembled it, sanded down the rust and put in a new seal. Turned out pretty nice.

Before

After

Old 05-21-2019, 11:22 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Did a rebuild on the carb and have it back on the car and the gas line run. Also installed the throttle cable, return spring wiper motor, and side pipe headers. The engine needs a good cleaning, but that will have to wait until we are closer to finishing the project. It's been so long I will probably have to go back and redo or freshen up some of the work that has already been done.

Last edited by Johnnycyclone; 05-21-2019 at 11:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Old 05-21-2019, 11:24 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

I have been working a lot on sorting out the wiring in the engine bay. Trying to eliminate what I don't need and adding in what I do need. Part of the addition is wiring in the MSD box and Blaster coil. I still have a long ways to go sorting out the wiring.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:28 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

A/C evaporator box along with the blower motor is in.

On the inside the heater box with a new heater core is in along with the wiring harness. Was working on getting the dash and steering in but ran out of time and have now switched back over to body work.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Back to the body. The T tops have been stripped and a new set of gaskets are here. I need to finish fitting them up and get them smoothed out. The hood is back on and I am working on the gaps and the fit. I also purchased a cowl induction box and need to get it mounted to the underside of the hood. Lots of work here also. The bumper is going back together but needs a lot of work fitting it back on to the front. I also started ordering parts to finish up the headlights. Going to go electric, just waiting on parts to arrive.

That pretty much catches everyone up. I will post more pics this summer of the progress. Hopefully I can spend more time this summer on the car and less on home projects.

Quick Reply: Yellow 81 C3 Project Build