Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 08:34 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

That looks a lot better on the front view .

Last edited by bazza77; 05-06-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:55 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Well after 6 weeks of working on the front bumper I finally gave up. Either I am short on skills or short on patience, but the more I work on it the worse if fits. So I decided to go with plan B, which is to bolt it, bond it and glass in the seam. Only took 3 days to do what I have been trying to do for the last month and a half. It's great to finally see some progress! I also did the rear so both are now seamless. Not the best pic, but this is how it looks today.

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnnycyclone:
Andy Tuttle (06-30-2020), Priya (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:22 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

A minor setback last week. I didn't get enough crown on the hood scoop near the back and it started to sag. So I had to cut out the section that was sagging and glass in the hole. Here are a few pics.

Marked out the section that was sagging.

Cut out the section.

New fiberglass. Only a single layer at first. I wanted it to set up before adding anymore weight and having the same issue.

One difference this time. I made sure to add lots of bracing to hold it up.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:21 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

that looks really nice , I like the curve in it .
Old 07-01-2020, 09:06 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by bazza77
that looks really nice , I like the curve in it .
Thanks, I like the way the hood is turning out, but it's been a lot of work.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:56 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Been working on the front air dam and getting close on finishing it up. Luckily I have been able to work pretty steady on the car so far this summer.

The first pic is of the air dam cut into 3 pieces. The goal is to mold it into the front bumper.

Next step was to bond the main piece of the air dam to the bumper. The sides of the bumper were cut and this shows the mock up of how the pieces will fit.

One side just about done. Just a little more sanding and it's ready for a skim coat of Rage Gold. The other side needs more work but is pretty close.

Side view

Once this is done only one more part that needs any fiberglass work and that's glassing in the cowl induction. Can't wait until that is done, because I have grown pretty tired of working with fiberglass. Don't want to see any of that for awhile once this is done. Haha!
Old 07-21-2020, 03:15 PM
trans am kev
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

i have just been through your build its amazing . i have to alter my hood as well as the intake and efi stops me from closing the hood so will raise mine as you have done . could you tell my the height of your air cleaner please also is it a drop base cleaner . also is that a daytona front bumper ( where did you buy it from ) look forwards to the rest of your build . cheers kev
Old 07-22-2020, 02:57 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by trans am kev
i have just been through your build its amazing . i have to alter my hood as well as the intake and efi stops me from closing the hood so will raise mine as you have done . could you tell my the height of your air cleaner please also is it a drop base cleaner . also is that a daytona front bumper ( where did you buy it from ) look forwards to the rest of your build . cheers kev
The air cleaner is a drop base 1 1/4" drop. The height is 2 3/4'.

The front end is just a spoiler add on. I purchased both the fiberglass bumper, and the spoiler locally at ACI Corvette. The Daytona bumper is all one piece and sticks out a little more than I like so this is a nice compromise. My hope is for the car to appear stock but with some little modifications. You can pm me if you want more info.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:16 PM
trans am kev
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone
The air cleaner is a drop base 1 1/4" drop. The height is 2 3/4'.

The front end is just a spoiler add on. I purchased both the fiberglass bumper, and the spoiler locally at ACI Corvette. The Daytona bumper is all one piece and sticks out a little more than I like so this is a nice compromise. My hope is for the car to appear stock but with some little modifications. You can pm me if you want more info.
thank for the reply johnny . i have just ordered the aci fibreglass bumper and spoiler like yours was looking at the daytona but looks like its very low . my vet is an 82 with earlier 350 and fitech efi the hood will not close with the air cleaner so will have to do what you have done . was thinking of fitting a trans am shaker but decided to cut the hood instead
Old 08-08-2020, 06:30 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Not a lot of pictures this week, just the one. I finished getting the hood fitted and also the front bumper/spoiler. So other than the cowl induction plenum the major bodywork is done. I am just finishing up with a skim coat of Rage Gold on the front end. Not the best job of spreading it on, but it will work just fine. Now on to lot's of sanding, should be fun. Haha!

The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (08-09-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 08:12 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

That's looking great ! I can appreciate the many hours of work you have done to get this far

Quick Reply: Yellow 81 C3 Project Build