Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:34 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

coming along nicely , but you have got some tricky stuff ahead now , I will be watching the rebuild of that front clip
Old 07-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 81vettski
Hello J C
Curious where you got your steering coupler.
J C, picked that up on Ebay.
The following users liked this post:
81vettski (07-05-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
I would like to add your doing nice work, have WAY more patience than I, and I would like you to paint my car.
Thanks for the compliment Big2Bird. Although patience isn't my strong point, I know if I rush it, the quality of the build will suffer. So I have to keep reminding myself to slow down.

I also agree with you on the clean look when you glass in the seams, but I know my luck and I would probably have to cut one back off and that wouldn't be any fun. Haha!

Thanks for following along.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by bazza77
coming along nicely , but you have got some tricky stuff ahead now , I will be watching the rebuild of that front clip
Thanks bazza77. I agree the fun is just beginning. I have been thinking about this ever since starting the project. I sat and stared at it for about an hour this evening trying to come up with a plan of attack. Still thinking but I think I have a plan now. We'll try to show more detail when I get started.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Door

Took longer than I had hoped, but we finally got the door skin back on. Here are a few pics on the progress.

The door skin had a missing corner, which I made worse when I removed the skin. Here is a picture of the repair after the second layer of glass, so it really doesn't show the extent of the damage. Forgot to take a pic of the before repair. Not much different than the other fiberglass repairs.

Cleaned up the old adhesive and sanded the door skin mounting area back down to bare metal, then sprayed it with a few coats of self etching primer. Looks much better now.

While I was sanding I went ahead and sanded down the jamb area. Sprayed the bare metal areas with self etching primer and then applied 3 coats of slick sand to it.

I'm using Lord Fuzor 127EZ to mount the skin. Here is the door with the Lord Fuzor already on and ready for the skin.

Skin back on and clamped in place.

Next is the rear bumper. I will be working on getting that fitted and mounted. Still doing research on mounting the front end. I don't want to mess that up so we need to make sure I understand the process. More to come later.

Last edited by Johnnycyclone; 07-12-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Quick update

Just wanted to let everyone know we are still working on the project. I am starting to ramp up the time spent in the garage to get this ready to paint by fall. The passenger door is back on and I am working on the latch side door gaps. I need to build the door up a little near the handle and also discovered a crack in the skin that has been repaired. All fiberglass repairs are done from the doors back and I applied a skim coat of Evercoat Rage gold. I spent 16 hours this past weekend block sanding the back of the body. We will be practically living in the garage the next couple of months, but it's time to make a big push on the project. Here is a pic to keep the thread alive. Still saving the fun job for last, mounting the front fenders back on.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

well done ! carry on
Old 07-25-2017, 11:19 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Very well done so far! Good to see another one of these being saved fairly locally to me.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:50 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone

I plan on having this pig made out of aluminum some day. Any idea what it weighs?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by bazza77
well done ! carry on
Thanks bazza77, will do!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by chazde3
Very well done so far! Good to see another one of these being saved fairly locally to me.
Thanks chazde3! I have been following your thread also, so keep up the good work and maybe we can do a day trip some day!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

I plan on having this pig made out of aluminum some day. Any idea what it weighs?
Not sure, but when I start working on the front I will get a weight and let you know if you want. It's just a couple of bolts holding it on so it's a 5 minute job to get weight.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:09 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Not sure, but when I start working on the front I will get a weight and let you know if you want. It's just a couple of bolts holding it on so it's a 5 minute job to get weight.
I hate to have you unbolt it, but I would like to know.

Are you buying new wiring harnesses? I can make you a deal on a front I don't need.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

I hate to have you unbolt it, but I would like to know.

Are you buying new wiring harnesses? I can make you a deal on a front I don't need.
Pulled the bumper, it only took about 10 minutes, off and back on. It weighs 30lbs.

All set on the wiring harnesses, bought a complete used set from an 81, but thanks for the offer.
The following users liked this post:
Big2Bird (07-28-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 11:48 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Pulled the bumper, it only took about 10 minutes, off and back on. It weighs 30lbs.

All set on the wiring harnesses, bought a complete used set from an 81, but thanks for the offer.
I really appreciate that. Been under the dash all day.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:51 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks chazde3! I have been following your thread also, so keep up the good work and maybe we can do a day trip some day!
Yeah maybe. I really need to get on it, Detroit Vintage Wheels wants me at Autorama this year...
Old 08-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by chazde3
Yeah maybe. I really need to get on it, Detroit Vintage Wheels wants me at Autorama this year...
Yep, that's a pretty tough deadline to met. I'm pushing to be done sometime in 2018, most likely late 2018. Still a ton of work to get done, and I can't seem to work as late as I used to. Just getting a little to old to do that anymore. Will keep an eye on your progress.

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Old 08-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Hood

Time for a quick update, more to come soon. I have been working mainly on the rear bumper, almost there, and I will post some pics when I get done, hopefully later this week. When I am not working on the bumper I have been test fitting the hood for clearance. With the different intake and the carb spacer the stock hood doesn't quite close without hitting the air cleaner. I am solving the problem by raising the center of the hood about 1 1/2". Here is a pic of the progress so far. I have a couple of other mods planned and will post more pics when I am done.
August is my "git r done" month as I am taking every Friday off for the month just to work on the car. I already told my wife no honey do's!

Raising the cowl area 1 1/2" to clearance the air cleaner.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Hood update

I was reading all of the updates on the projects going on right now and figured I should update mine also. But first I wanted to say everyone is doing a great job and it helps to motivate me to work harder on mine when I see others progress.
With that said here is my updates. Right now I am working on all areas at the moment, hood, rear bumper and the front fenders, mainly sanding and laying down fiberglass. We'll start with the easy one, the hood. Besides raising the center section of the hood, I decided to add cowl induction. So here is a photo of the progress. I have the opening made to the cowl along with a little extension piece. I still have to make the plenum for the air cleaner but it is looking pretty good so far. We'll take more pics when we get more done. I also have one more mod to do, but more on that later.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Rear bumper update

The rear bumper has 3 main issues.

First one is the top gap. It's about 1/16" to 1/8" wide, and just in the center of the car. Both ends were tight on top.

Easy fix by sanding both ends of the car, and the ends of the bumper until the gap was gone.

Still has some fine tuning, but it's close enough to move onto the next issue.

Quick Reply: Yellow 81 C3 Project Build