Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

How do you decide whether to use the Evercoat Rage Gold or the Vette Panel Adhesive/filler?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:25 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Just read through the entire build. Tons of information and inspiration.

Keep up the good work!
Old 09-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
How do you decide whether to use the Evercoat Rage Gold or the Vette Panel Adhesive/filler?
I have been using the VPA mainly as a follow up to the fiberglass repairs. Once I get the fiberglass work done I fill any imperfections with the VPA. I think the VPA is a little harder, a little stronger, and is less susceptible to chipping. Any place I feel I need something more durable like the inner part of the inner fender well, or the mating surfaces of the bumper to the body I use it. It seems to be less susceptible to chipping also. Of course I don't use it for any thing structural, that would be for fiberglass.

The Rage Gold is only used to smooth out the panels after the fiberglass repair and VPA. So I put on a thin coat on the entire panel and then block it down smooth. It seems to be softer and easier to sand. I don't use much, not trying to fill major imperfections, just enough to get a nice straight panel.

When I started the project this wasn't always the case, since I didn't know much about repairing SMC. But after spending more time in the paint/body section of the form I have modified my approach to repairs. Some of my first repairs were ground back down and redone because they weren't that good. Still learning as I go, but this seems to work pretty well.

Last edited by Johnnycyclone; 09-29-2017 at 01:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Priya (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 01:02 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Be careful with getting a fiberglass front. They almost never match up exactly. I did and had all kinds of alignment issues. I will be going back to a urathane bumper next chance I get. Everything just looks nicer. I got one at a parts swap the other day. Can't wait to get it on.

I also see a lot of harbor freight brand tools in the pics. Haha, I shop there all the time.

Last edited by ~Stingray; 09-29-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
Just read through the entire build. Tons of information and inspiration.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks PainfullySlow, I'm glad you found the thread. Maybe by this time next year we will be showing a completed car.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Be careful with getting a fiberglass front. They almost never match up exactly. I did and had all kinds of alignment issues. I will be going back to a urathane bumper next chance I get. Everything just looks nicer. I got one at a parts swap the other day. Can't wait to get it on.

I also see a lot of harbor freight brand tools in the pics. Haha, I shop there all the time.
I agree, the fiberglass bumpers require a lot more work to get the fit right. You can see that by the way the back one fit. I think the front is going to be worse than the back, so it will be quite the challenge.

Yep, can't beat Harbor Freight on price, so I have purchased some tools that certainly save time and make the job much easier.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Not much has happened as of late, been doing some jobs around the house before the really cold weather gets here. Even so progress is being made. I made a parts run today to pick up a few needed parts. I decided to go with the fiberglass T-tops, so I picked up a pair of those along with rear window trim, gas pedal assembly and a windshield. Not sure if I am going to use the windshield or not, due to some issues along the bottom edge with the black coating.

Here are the new tops.

I'm still working on the front fenders and should be ready to test fit on Monday. The inner fender and radiator support are pretty much installed. Still need to do some measurements and get them where they need to be but we are making some progress.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:08 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

looking great , really like the front on pic with those inner guards on .

I pulled the trim off my t tops for paint , ended up just cleaning up and reinforcing the edges and left the trim off ,I think they look great .

your coming along nicely , great work.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:31 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by bazza77
looking great , really like the front on pic with those inner guards on .

I pulled the trim off my t tops for paint , ended up just cleaning up and reinforcing the edges and left the trim off ,I think they look great .

your coming along nicely , great work.
You read my mind, no trim pieces needed on the T-tops. I like the look a lot better than the glass, plus I can put a stripe down the center if I want.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone
You read my mind, no trim pieces needed on the T-tops. I like the look a lot better than the glass, plus I can put a stripe down the center if I want.
Very interesting. To me T-tops were meant to be glass. As far as I know the C3 is the only car with T-tops that aren't glass.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:08 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Yeah I smoothed off that front ridge and added glass under the edge on front and side to build it up and rounded off the edge in a bigger round so it was less prone to paint chips .
Old 10-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Default Anniversery

Missed it by 3 days but it's been 3 years and 3 days since the purchase. Here is a pic from the start to the present. We're getting there!

Old 10-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

As you already know the front fenders are back on the car. Not bonded just yet as we still have some more work to do to get them to fit just right. I hope to have it bonded by the end of this weekend, but most likely it will be the next one. Nothing ever goes as planned. Here are a few pics to enjoy.

The following users liked this post:
USMC 0802 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Spectacular!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

looks so nice now , love the hood mods

I know and can definitely appreciate how much work you have done to get this far.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:03 AM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by bazza77
looks so nice now , love the hood mods

I know and can definitely appreciate how much work you have done to get this far.
I agree. Anyone who has already done this or is currently working on a project can understand. When I first started I had no clue what this would entail. I thought I knew, but I certainly didn't understand the magnitude of the time and effort needed. I figured I would be driving it by now. Haha! Even though it's a ton of work and time, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm having too much fun!
Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

I agree. Anyone who has already done this or is currently working on a project can understand. When I first started I had no clue what this would entail. I thought I knew, but I certainly didn't understand the magnitude of the time and effort needed. I figured I would be driving it by now. Haha! Even though it's a ton of work and time, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm having too much fun!
Yeah , so many little things to be done so you can get one big step accomplished .etc. etc. I agree it's good when your on a roll and things are happening . Always look forward to your updates .

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow 81 C3 Project Build

Old 10-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I see you have the anti-brockman unit on the carburetor. My husband says when he worked in body shops it was amazing how many body-men left the carburetor open to have dust and what-have-you fall into it.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Originally Posted by Priya
I see you have the anti-brockman unit on the carburetor. My husband says when he worked in body shops it was amazing how many body-men left the carburetor open to have dust and what-have-you fall into it.
I'm guessing the "anti-brockman" is named after someone named Brockman in the body shop?

I try to keep everything covered that I'm not working on. So the engine has it's own cover also that only comes off for pics. It's much easier to keep things clean when they are not being worked on. As you know body work can generate an enormous amount of dust.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:56 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I'm guessing the "anti-brockman" is named after someone named Brockman in the body shop?
Its named after a rich kid bully my husband and I went to high school with. Daddy bought him several nice sports cars during high school he didn't have to work for. He was fixing up a 57 chevy and had a new engine in it when he started it up one night and it blew up. He was all like "someone sabotaged it! We're going to find out who it was and F-them up!" and so on. Turned out he dropped a nut in the uncovered carburetor while working on it. Ever since then a number of us have referred to a carburetor cover for working on a car as an anti-brockman unit.

Last edited by Priya; 10-18-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Yellow 81 C3 Project Build