Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:37 PM
LRB
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My journey so far with my 75 convertible..long post

Where we started and where we are now.

Date line 10/2014:
I bought my first Corvette after giving up riding Harley’s for 30+ years. I really just wanted to try something new and I was not riding the bike and it needed to go to someone that would enjoy it.

I wanted a driver, but I also wanted a car that I could work on and slowly restore. My wife and I both agreed it had to be a convertible and I had to have a 4-speed. After searching for a while we found it, a 1975 red convertible L48 with mild engine work, 4-speed and side pipes.

The PO’s had been working on it for years but had lost interest and decided to let it go. They gave it a new paint job, (not perfect but looks good from 5 ft.) laid new carpet in it and a few other things. She started up great and the body, frame and birdcage where all in good shape. It needs a new convertible top, seats recovered and tires but all that will come in good time.

I felt the price was fair and I had a good idea of what it was going to cost me to fix it up like we wanted.

I had to trailer it home due to it needing new brakes and a leaking fuel pump, but we were the proud owners of a 1975 red convertible.

Now the journey:
As soon as I got it home I put the new fuel pump on and started the brake work. Put all new rotors, calibers, master cylinder and flexible brake lines. Went through the pain of trying to bleed the brakes, but after reading all the great information on the forum, I made a trip to Summit and got the pressure bleeder and bam…next day solid petal.

Made a few trips around the block, but tires are in to bad of shape to go far. Dry rotted from sitting.

Next problem, where to park the car so I can work on it?

We have a 2 car garage, but my wife was not happy about the brake work being done in the garage, nor was she happy about having to back her car out in the AM to go to work and having to dodge my truck in the drive way. To solve that problem my son-in-law and I enlarged the door on my two-story shop I have in the woods and added a larger ramp. The car is a tight fit, but it works and I have enough room to work on it.

Here is the journey so far.

Dateline 11/14:
The car was moved into the shop and I started making my list of what I wanted to do and what needed to be done. First thing I did was to pick up the AIM, Service Manual several electrical diagrams. I have found that it would be very difficult to try to do anything without the manuals and without the Corvette Forum.

Well let’s see what I have done so far:
a) First I had to make a pair of new rear deck striker plates, my fiberglass had to wide of a gap so the onesI ordered did not work, but I them made and painted and the rear deck closes now.
b) Removed carpet and seats
c) Remove door panels to make repairs and install new locks
d) Removed upper dash pad, RH lower and LH lower dash, center console, gauges, e-brake console and shifter console. The lower consoles are in OK shape, needed some bonding repair on the back, good old JB weld has worked for that. The upper dash and all three windshield moldings need to be replaced, they can’t be saved.
e) I removed all the venting and while I was in that area I went ahead and put a new heater core in. Found some antifreeze under the car, so I did not want to take a chance. Good thing I did, when I got the old one out it leaked under pressure. Thought about leaving the heater core out, but then thought “what the hell", the wife might want some heat one day due to not having the convertible top fixed yet.
f) Found that I was missing two under dash braces on the driver side, found them on eBay for an arm and a leg.Some people have told me that I most likely did not need them, but they were in the AIM so I put them on.
g) Tested all the dash lights and replaced bad sockets. In addition I replaced all the bulbs that illuminate the gauges (grey wire) with leds. I am keeping the turn signal bulbs and all other bulbs original style.

Date line: 12/14 to present:

h) Cleaned interior and painted flooring with black undercoating type paint
i) Went to big box store and bought insulation for covering the floor. Used a spray adhesive and roller to put insulation down.
j) Order a set of Camaro seat belts for $50.00 on eBay. My seatbelts were shot and I wanted shoulder belts. They looked new and will work great after following the directions I got on the Corvette Forum on how to retrofit them.
k) Cleaned and painted all the venting as well as tested all the vacuum components in the vent system. Everything worked well.
l) Cleaned and painted the AC/Heater control, gauge bezel and all other metal dash parts.
m) Repaired and tested and calibrated Tac, had to put new control board in it.
n) Repaired clock
o) Replaced high-speed fan replay and low-speed resistor. Fan works like new now.
p) Took passenger seat apart and sanded and repainted frame.
q) Repaired the odometer reset cable
r) Bought new radio, even though the original radio worked, I just want a newer system. Selling the original.

What’s next?
a) Need to get horn to work.
b) Put 3 compartment storage lids on frame.
c) Clean up wiper compartment, paint and add cover.
d) Repair windshield washer, not working.
e) Remove bumper and clean up area, touch up paint around area where bumper joins to body and install bumper with correct retainers.
f) Mount antenna
g) Re-install everything I took out.
h) Install door weather stripping
i) Install hood weather stripping

Other things on the list to get done before Spring:
1. Address headlights not opening
2. Clean aluminum rims
3. Change transmission and rear end fluid
4. Evaluate front end condition
5. Reupholster seats
6. Rework convertible top frame and get new top installed.

Stay tuned for updates to my progress and additional pictures.
Attached Images       

Last edited by LRB; 01-19-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:51 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, you don't mess around

Great looking car!

Old 01-18-2015, 12:17 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

You've done a ton of great work. It'll all be worth it ome spring time when you're out driving it
Old 01-18-2015, 12:19 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Great job on the car!

(My Harley is for sale also/V.A. meds make me dizzy)

Keep us posted on the progress and photos!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:31 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

My head is spinning. You've certainly done a lot of work to it. Goes to show why a project car should be able to be bought relatively cheap- though they rarely are.
Curious on the deck lid, though. Couldn't the lid or latches be adjusted enough to make things work? But the gaps on mine I consider fairly tight.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:14 AM
LRB
Instructor

MidShark,
The issue with my deck lid was the fiberglass area where the striker plates mount had been broken and was too wide for the original size. I took some sheet metal I had and cut and formed it to fit. I will try to take pictures to show. It is not perfect, but the deck lid closes now and you can only see the striker plates when the lid is open.

As for getting the car relatively cheap, I would say no. I feel I paid a fair price and I did start with some equity. Time will only tell, as for now I am having fun.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:48 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LRB
MidShark,
The issue with my deck lid was the fiberglass area where the striker plates mount had been broken and was too wide for the original size. I took some sheet metal I had and cut and formed it to fit. I will try to take pictures to show. It is not perfect, but the deck lid closes now and you can only see the striker plates when the lid is open.

As for getting the car relatively cheap, I would say no. I feel I paid a fair price and I did start with some equity. Time will only tell, as for now I am having fun.

Thanks for the interest.
Thanks for the explanation. As far as the "relatively cheap" comment, I just meant that for the countless hours of work involved, project cars should be priced less than what we usually pay, but they're never priced that low. Just a reality of the hobby. And of course there will always be surprises and more work than you thought.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:00 PM
LRB
Instructor

Originally Posted by MidShark
Thanks for the explanation. As far as the "relatively cheap" comment, I just meant that for the countless hours of work involved, project cars should be priced less than what we usually pay, but they're never priced that low. Just a reality of the hobby. And of course there will always be surprises and more work than you thought.
Hey I understand where you were coming from and I agree. I guess I look at each little surprise as a challenge, sometimes from the "how the hell do I fix this, to the how the hell do I pay for it" perspective.

Like you said Midshark, it's the hobby we choose.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:30 PM
LRB
Instructor

A few more pictures of my 75, that I call Niki. (after the red head from the tv show Las Vegas)

Like I said, it is a tight fit in the shop, but room to do what I need to do.
Would love to find a kwiklift or maybe try myliftstands for a descent price.

I included a few pictures of the braces. I know I have seen some inquires about them.

Some of the dash parts ready to go back in.
Attached Images     
Old 01-18-2015, 05:43 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Congratulation. Very pretty car . You chose wisely. I nice car you can actually drive. Convertible and four speed is fun combo. The top down is the only way to travel

Four speed ...the way they all should have been .

You'll be rewarded this Spring and Summer for all the effort . It's looking very nice.

It's just amazing how little effort was put into most of these cars to maintain them at all. The worst is the rear suspension and rear end neglect ., brakes ,and cooling.

It seems people didn't want to fix anything that was actually important

Seems after the original owners were done , the next group if owners were slack and cheep. Do nothing for the car ....just run the dog **** out it .

The corvettes were decent cars if kept up properly.

I'm always adding a new part here or there to my 74 .
Old 01-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

That is certainly a big job(s) you have taken on but obviously with gusto. Bonne chance!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:51 PM
LRB
Instructor

Pulled the steering column out today. Not too bad or a job. Not the easiest job by yourself, but can be done. Going to work on horn and maybe key buzzer. Decided to let dead alarm stay dead. (for now)

Last edited by LRB; 08-17-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LRB
Pulled the steering column out today. Not too bad or a job. Not the easier job by yourself, but can be done. Going to work on horn and maybe key buzzer. Decided to let dead alarm stay dead. (for now)
While you can get to it .....I would install a new clutch safety switch ......you don't know how old it is ......they cause intermittent problems when they get a number of years age. It's just a PITA to get too

It maybe bypassed already .
Old 01-20-2015, 06:11 PM
LRB
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
While you can get to it .....I would install a new clutch safety switch ......you don't know how old it is ......they cause intermittent problems when they get a number of years age. It's just a PITA to get too

It maybe bypassed already .

Good thought Pilot, mine was bypassed from the PO's.

I will think about it.

The list goes on and on.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:20 PM
LRB
Instructor

Default Dash work

I am going to try to re-upholster my dash while I have it out. I pulled the old vinyl off today with the use of a heat gun and the old foam is in pretty good shape and the fiberglass frame is in great shape. I pick up some marine vinyl today so now I am researching on finding a good adhesive.

I have read and heard all the horror stories as well as seen some success stories, so my conscience will not let me not try it. If if does not work, well I am out $40 and have learned another lesson at an old age.

I know one thing for certain, this dash fits perfect.

Wish me luck..and don't think I am
Old 01-29-2015, 08:23 PM
LRB
Instructor

Default Got the dash recovered

I completed the upper dash today.

I just did not want to spend the $300+ for a new dash, so I enlisted the help of a friend that does some upholstery and got it done.

It may not be perfect, but it looks better than the 40 year old cracked dash and it fits perfect.

I used the DAP Landau Top & Trim High Heat Resistant Contact Cement and sewed the corners so I think it will hold up.

I will post more pictures when I get it installed.
Attached Images   
Old 01-30-2015, 03:40 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Damn that's nice, upper dash pad with speakers.

If you notice my avatar, does something look familiar? Yes, also red 4-speed.

I guess you probably already know the '75 4-speed verts are rather rare. One of the reasons was that GM didn't want to bother with smog certification in California - funny, that's where you would want to sell convertibles.

Get notified of new replies

To My journey so far with my 75 convertible..long post

Old 01-30-2015, 04:31 PM
LRB
Instructor

Originally Posted by dochorsepower
Damn that's nice, upper dash pad with speakers.

If you notice my avatar, does something look familiar? Yes, also red 4-speed.

I guess you probably already know the '75 4-speed verts are rather rare. One of the reasons was that GM didn't want to bother with smog certification in California - funny, that's where you would want to sell convertibles.

Nice looking car doc. Yea that why I searched for a while before buying. I wanted a 4-speed and got lucky finding one that was a 75 convertible. I know it is not the most horsepower, but that can be fixed. She runs out pretty good with headers and side-pipes along with a Holley and Elderbrock manifold.

As for the dash, I am happy with the way it came out. It will be a little different that others with the speaker covers in the dash, but that is cool with me. I hooked up the radio today and was very happy with the sound. I put 4x6 Kickers in the dash and in the kick-panels.

I hooked up my iphone and kicked in a little Four Tops (BabyI need your Lovin) and some Lynyrd Skynyrd (Simple Man). I can not wait to get it one the road with some good 60's and 70's tunes cranking out.

Again, you have a good loving car and great minds think alike.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:59 PM
LRB
Instructor

Default Update on my journey with my "75"

Dateline: 2/2/15

Started putting the carpet back in and the door panels back on. The PO had purchased new carpet and somewhat started to install it. Trying to figure out what they were thinking with some of their cuts was a challenge. Used a little spray adhesive and a hair dryer to get it to lay down like I wanted (well maybe almost, somewhat close).

The door panels took as long, if not longer than the rear carpet. They are old CA panels and I thought I saw a sticker on one that said 1991.They are on and don't look to bad. I am not real happy with the way they did not lock well at the top, the panels want to bow and not lock into the little lip near the window as well as they should have. I have them on for now, but I may look at replacing them later.

Waiting on my pillar trim and header trim to come in so I can start the dash area.

Got the generic quarter panels cut out for the Camaro seatbelts. It looks like they are going to work great. Going to trim out the rough edges with some black u-shaped door molding. My wife will like having shoulder harnesses.

New speakers installed in kick panels and dash pad. Hooked them up to test and it sounded pretty good, good volume. May add amp and sub later, but for now the system sounded pretty good. I added some insulation behind the 4x6 speakers in the kick panel and I think that helped a lot.

Stay tune, the journey continues.
Attached Images    

Last edited by LRB; 02-02-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LRB
The door panels took as long, if not longer than the rear carpet. They are old CA panels and I thought I saw a sticker on one that said 1991.They are on and don't look to bad. I am not real happy with the way they did not lock well at the top, the panels want to bow and not lock into the little lip near the window as well as they should have. I have them on for now, but I may look at replacing them later.
If you use the advanced search function, and type in "door panels", select titles only, you will find several threads with some tricks to help with door panel issues. Here is one of them. Pay particular attention to post #9, that may be of help with your panels.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...owed-help.html

Quick Reply: My journey so far with my 75 convertible..long post