C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stainless steel or steel lines? what is the consensus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:57 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

I installed SS brake lines last year, mainly for cosmetic reasons. A bit over twenty years ago I had installed steel lines while the body was off. The steel lines had started to rust quite a bit in front of the rear wheel and in a few other places. They weren't rusted enough to be concerned with failure, just looked bad. My motivation for going with SS was to keep them looking good. I don't like doing work over again.

No problems with leaks. I think at least part of the trick was to make sure the lines were aligned correctly with the brass blocks before tightening the fittings. I made sure they were as square with the brass block as possible before tightening. Replaced the two brass blocks in the rear to further encourage a good seating.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:40 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
I installed SS brake lines last year, mainly for cosmetic reasons. A bit over twenty years ago I had installed steel lines while the body was off. The steel lines had started to rust quite a bit in front of the rear wheel and in a few other places. They weren't rusted enough to be concerned with failure, just looked bad. My motivation for going with SS was to keep them looking good. I don't like doing work over again.

No problems with leaks. I think at least part of the trick was to make sure the lines were aligned correctly with the brass blocks before tightening the fittings. I made sure they were as square with the brass block as possible before tightening. Replaced the two brass blocks in the rear to further encourage a good seating.
Alignment was not an issue with my stainless lines . I always start the threads a few turns before even putting a wrench on them. The seats were all of the way down to the point of breaking with any more pressure but still refused to seal. It's hit and miss with stainless . Most of my joints sealed the first time but I was unlucky enough to have one and it was in a tight place to get at too. This is never a problem with regular lines.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Alignment was not an issue with my stainless lines . I always start the threads a few turns before even putting a wrench on them. The seats were all of the way down to the point of breaking with any more pressure but still refused to seal. It's hit and miss with stainless . Most of my joints sealed the first time but I was unlucky enough to have one and it was in a tight place to get at too. This is never a problem with regular lines.
Was it the brass block at the end of the long line to the rear? I installed a new block, tightened the connections while it was floating. Installed the clip afterward. When I mentioned alignment, I made sure the line was square to the brass block, threaded the fitting down with no resistance. Did you replace your brass blocks or reuse the originals?

Mine all sealed up fine. The SS fuel line from pump to carb I tried earlier did not, no amount of tightening would seal it. That was my first experience with SS lines. I didn't take the time to tweak the line so it was perfectly straight going into the fitting. Probably damaged the flare.

Seems not everybody has the same experience with these lines. Could it have been the manufacturer?

Quick Reply: stainless steel or steel lines? what is the consensus?