Sponsored by:

Air vent Cables hook up..Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:12 AM
kingsalami69
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air vent Cables hook up..Need help

Hello gang, i have a 73 with no A/C...i working on a project to re-do the interior console and forgot how the vent cables work and were they attach. I'm thinking that they attach to the top of the shifter shroud but not sure. If they are in the top of the shroud how do they attach to the shroud? Also how do the cables run into the brackets...inside of the lever of outside of the lever? Are these cables adjustable and where?

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

King!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:27 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I don't know if my '68 is the same as your car. Take a cable and pull/push on the wire-end to see what the cable operates...then label the cable with a piece of masking tape. Do all the cables that way....then take one cable at a time and attach it to it's correct lever...try for the best fit when attaching the cable bracket to the housing so that the end of the cable is not in a bind where it connects to the operating lever or wheel slider.

My cables are (left to right):

Driver's kick panel vent door to **** on console control

Drivers thumbwheel to left side of air-box under dash

Passengers thumbwheel to right side of air-box

Passengers kick panel vent door to **** on console control

Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi King,
Each cable has a nylon 'flag' near each end.
The one at the console end is screwed to the underside of the top of the shifter console.
The loop at the end of the cable is fastened to the pin on the vent control lever with a slide nut.
The flag at the vent door end of the cable fastens to the a-pillar bracket with a screw and the loop at the cable end is held onto the vent door with another slide nut.
There's an adjustment point on each cable
If you don't have an AIM for your car you should really consider buying one.
Regards,
Alan

The flag and cable loop at the vent door end of the cable.

The adjuster for the cable.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-26-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:38 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you have the assembly instruction manual (AIM)? The sheathing on the cable mounts to the underside of the console with screws. Inside or outside of the lever depends on which side the pin is on. Cable ends slip over the pins. AIM shows how the cables route over to the vent doors behind the kick panels.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:42 PM
wrencher60
Instructor

Default vent cables and astro vent ducting

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Do you have the assembly instruction manual (AIM)? The sheathing on the cable mounts to the underside of the console with screws. Inside or outside of the lever depends on which side the pin is on. Cable ends slip over the pins. AIM shows how the cables route over to the vent doors behind the kick panels.

I am in the process of running my cables also, so good info on that, but is there a trick to getting the duct to the dash vent, or does it have to be in place before the drivers side instrument panel is installed. Royal pita to get everything in there to line up right, fighting getting the instrument panel in was pretty tough by itself. I put it in before running the steering column in, got that in and then realized I can't wiggle that ducting in with it in place. No wonder everything was broken when I was removing it all. Was thinking about getting some flexible ducting, since the drivers side duct is in pretty sad shape anyway. Non A/C car, so need some air circulation every once in awhile. Hate to think about pulling that instrument panel back out to put the ducting together, but might have to.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi W,
There is a bracket on each side of the cowl that the elbows slip over and a wing-nut is used to secure the elbow in place.
These brackets/wing-nuts hold the duct steady enough so the dash pads can be moved into place.
You may be able to get the left side elbow in place with the dash pad already there by starting the elbow on the astro-vent body and then rotating the elbow onto the cowl air outlet. (I can't believe I just wrote that!)
Regards,
Alan

This is the right side but the left side is done the same. There are left and right elbows and they need to be on the correct side.

Left side.

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-26-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:05 AM
wrencher60
Instructor

Thanks Alan, I was afraid that was how it has to be installed, probably explains why the end that slips over vent ball housing was pretty messed up. Good picture of yours. Is the kick panel vent cable on your car running over the column or under the column, and if it does go over the column, does it do so in front of the bracket that holds the column or behind it.

Get notified of new replies

To Air vent Cables hook up..Need help

Quick Reply: Air vent Cables hook up..Need help