Sponsored by:

Buyer Beware of this ad

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:02 PM
410racing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer Beware of this ad

I am looking for one of these beauties but this definitely isn't it. I went and looked at this car and it is a mess. Missing trim tag, filthy and huge puddle of oil under the car. Frame is quite rusty as well.

I typically wouldn't get involved but the way they have misrepresented this car on Ebay is just flat out wrong.

If you are interested in this car I would strongly suggest you go look at it first. Well worth the trip to CA before you spend this type of money.

Seller is also questionable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Red-Red-Convertible-1968-427-400-tripower-red-on-red-convertible-new-paint-top-/291377194725?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43d76f26e5&item=291377194725&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

I know it is frustrating to travel a long way to see a car only to find that it is grossly misrepresented. However, this is a great example why you always need to see a car in person before buying. You were wise to make the trip to check over the car.

Last edited by AkrHack; 02-11-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I think I may have seen this car here just in the past couple of weeks being mentioned by someone who was thinking about making an offer on it. Some kind of widow selling her late husbands car type of deal.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:05 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by persuader
I think I may have seen this car here just in the past couple of weeks being mentioned by someone who was thinking about making an offer on it. Some kind of widow selling her late husbands car type of deal.
I think I saw it as a poor lady trying to raise funds to get her kids back,
I guess this will not be a 40 K plus lost jewel that someone steals, ahem, buys for 5K
Old 02-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Too bad it didn't work out for you, but doesn't the red on red look great, and a 427 to boot.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:16 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick71
Too bad it didn't work out for you, but doesn't the red on red look great, and a 427 to boot.
My '68 was born a 427 red on red. I can honestly say that as long as I own it, it will never go back to red on red. But to each their own.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:00 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Pictures look good though.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 PM
410racing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tonak
Pictures look good though.
If it looked half as good as the pictures I would have bought it.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:17 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by 410racing
In most cases the pictures just don't tell the complete story.
That's why there's no substitute for an actual in person inspection.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:29 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Did the car have Canadian registration when you looked at it? That fifth eBay picture shows British Columbia plates.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Brian79
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
Did the car have Canadian registration when you looked at it? That fifth eBay picture shows British Columbia plates.
From the sellers description -- "It has been lightly driven over the last 20 years and has been stored in a heated garage and has not seen snow or rain. The car is currently registered in B British Columbia but is located in Newport Beach, Orange County for viewing" ????

Maybe it spent the last 20 yrs. in Canada, the white pick up in the background appears to have the same type plates.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 410,
Thanks for the update!
It's surprising how GOOD cars can look in pictures and how DIFFERENT they can be from their seller's description.
I said surprising but it's really quite consistent.
As an example, in pictures I'm often mistaken for Brad Pitt, but in person, not so much!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-12-2015, 09:03 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default An ebay auction that's been misrepresented??? TELL ME IT ISN'T SO!!!

Buyer beware in any used car transaction, that should be understood, but you didn't even know what to offer the seller when you saw the car yourself AND you mentioned you could work with the flaws it had.
"It is somewhat rough but definitely something to work with."

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...some-love.html

I think anyone willing to shell out the kind of money to beat the present bid (currently $27K) would be foolish to not see the car first, no matter what the seller says about it.

Somehow, I suspect an ulterior motive here, but it would be as unfair to make that accusation as it is to accuse the seller of misrepresenting this car.

For a condition 3 to 3- car, the present bids aren't far off the price guides (here's Hagerty's):

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...port?vbe=20248
Old 02-13-2015, 12:01 AM
410racing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LemansBlue68
Buyer beware in any used car transaction, that should be understood, but you didn't even know what to offer the seller when you saw the car yourself AND you mentioned you could work with the flaws it had.
"It is somewhat rough but definitely something to work with."

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...some-love.html

I think anyone willing to shell out the kind of money to beat the present bid (currently $27K) would be foolish to not see the car first, no matter what the seller says about it.

Somehow, I suspect an ulterior motive here, but it would be as unfair to make that accusation as it is to accuse the seller of misrepresenting this car.

For a condition 3 to 3- car, the present bids aren't far off the price guides (here's Hagerty's):

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...port?vbe=20248
No ulterior motives here. I was misled before I even viewed the car. Then I subsequently saw an ad on Ebay that misrepresented the car in my opinion. No trim tag and in horrible condition. Do some research on the seller before you buy it. I did and learned a great deal.

Just trying to watch out for others that may bite this hook like I almost did. I obviously am not as wise as you but learning more about these cars every day. I wouldn't buy it for $20K after looking at it. I would almost bet the high bidder hasn't seen the car. It was a mess and the pictures don't represent it.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:27 PM
RubyD
3rd Gear

Default Appalled at the underhanded tactics of 410racing

I am truly shocked by the tactics used by this individual. He is a liar and the truth of the matter is that he saw my car listed on eBay, claimed he lived in Newport Coast, his wife likes to shop at Neiman's (who the hell even cares), came to view my car, underestimated the fact that I'm a female, made a complete low-ball offer, then DEMANDED I take the car off EBAY and sell it to him!

I honestly could not believe what a total jackass this guy was... For your info creep, I may be a girl but I have a master's and doctorate degree.. The lengths people go to never cease to amaze me.

Also exactly how is the seller "questionable?"

I have no problem posting the hateful email he sent rn when I refused to return his calls and text messages. What a bully!

I am looking for one of these beauties but this definitely isn't it. I went and looked at this car and it is a mess. Missing trim tag, filthy and huge puddle of oil under the car. Frame is quite rusty as well.

I typically wouldn't get involved but the way they have misrepresented this car on Ebay is just flat out wrong.

If you are interested in this car I would strongly suggest you go look at it first. Well worth the trip to CA before you spend this type of money.

Chevrolet Corvette Red Red Convertible | eBay
Old 02-13-2015, 03:31 PM
RubyD
3rd Gear

Default Liar

You only know about the car because you contacted me off of eBay then demanded I sell to you outside of EBAY for $15K!

My next step is to forward your email to Ebay for violating their policies and then put your email with your phone number here for everyone to see. What kind of "man" does something like this... I'd really like to see you try this on another man not a 120 pound girl!

No ulterior motives here. I was misled before I even viewed the car. Then I subsequently saw an ad on Ebay that misrepresented the car in my opinion. No trim tag and in horrible condition. Do some research on the seller before you buy it. I did and learned a great deal.

Just trying to watch out for others that may bite this hook like I almost did. I obviously am not as wise as you but learning more about these cars every day. I wouldn't buy it for $20K after looking at it. I would almost bet the high bidder hasn't seen the car. It was a mess and the pictures don't represent it.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:59 PM
RubyD
3rd Gear

Default I will sue you for libel

I suggest you remove this post before I sue you... Maybe you should find a different hobby than posting at 1:02 am. I have your text messages in which you tell me the "ad looks good". Starting to think you're a little bipolar also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Red-Red-Convertible-1968-427-400-tripower-red-on-red-convertible-new-paint-top-/291377194725?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43d76f26e5&item=291377194725&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Get notified of new replies

To Buyer Beware of this ad

Old 02-13-2015, 04:25 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

LOL Wow.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:44 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Oh snap
Old 02-13-2015, 05:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

I think we have established that there are 2 clearly different sides to this story.

That said, I'm pretty sure this thread has run its course.

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware of this ad