***DIY: 68-72 Wiper door vacuum to electric conversion***

Old 01-12-2017, 06:36 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by vetteguy22
Very nice write up. Thanks for the time involved to share with us.
No problem!

As usual, if you or anyone else has any questions about this conversion, I will do my best to help out.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:30 PM
71bbc
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=7t2vette;1593853672]No problem!

As usual, if you or anyone else has any questions about this conversion, I will do my best to help out.

[/QUOTE

Regarding the motor wiring, This is what I figured, Please Correct me:
Black+White/Black......(-)
White/Red.................(+)
Yellow......................(up trigger)
Red.........................(Down trigger)
Green......................???????
What does that green do? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:57 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by 71bbc

The Probe motors don't have a green wire.

The Miata ones do- and its trigger for the dash light indicator that warns of a light not up.

Miata-
Brown ------------ +12v
Black -------------- Ground
Red w/ Blue stripe ---- up trigger
Red w/ yellow stripe-----down trigger
Green------------indicator light

Probe before and after plug-

Old 03-24-2017, 05:36 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 71bbc
Hi Bruce
I've been reading your very helpful post. I want to do what you did ( or at least get some ideas). Thank you for your time and patience. Questions:

1. Miata motor is on the way. isolated ground as you said. According to your diagram, Motor receives power and G from speed controller and 2 trigger for open/close. Now, are these triggers have to be "timed"? If you energize them, motor will cycle once only, or it'll spin as it long as receives power?Like when power switched to 87 and door opens, what happens to motor next? Also I don't know which wire is what on the motor.

2. I was checking 90's miata wiring, and it does have some type of time relay thing. Like I asked, I don't know how motor operates "once" and still receiving power.

3. "wiper override switch"... I have somewhere around my tach and it has vacuum fittings and 2 wire terminal. I have no clue what does it do (I bought this car as a project car) and essentially why I should use that wires to command the relay.

Okay, I combined your PM and question here in the thread. Here is some info:

1) There is no timing involved, the motors turn 180 degrees with the first trigger input, and then they move the next 180 degrees with the second trigger input; in other words, the motor turns a total of 360 degrees in one direction from the 2 trigger inputs. The motors have built-in contacts that make this happen; this makes it very simple: first trigger to open, second trigger to close.

I have 3 Miata motors on my car, and 6 Miata motors in stock, and the wiring for all of them is:

Black+White/Black : -12v
White/Red : +12v
Yellow : +12v trigger
Red : +12v trigger
Green : optional dash warning light

I did not use the green wire in my installation.

2) As stated above, the motor has built-in contacts that open and automatically stop the motor once it turns 180 degrees. On a related note, since the output shaft of the motor is splined, the arm can be removed and repositioned in any position necessary, and either trigger wire can be used to move the arm. Basically, you position the arm where you need it to be, and then figure out which wire moves the it first 180 degrees from your starting point.

3) The "wiper override switch" is for interrupting power to the actual wiper arm motor, it is not part of the wiper door control circuit. You use this switch to stop the wiper arms in the up position to change the wiper blades. It is a round **** switch that is installed in the bracket below the steering column that also holds the 2 vacuum override pull-down switches. It is a 2 wire switch, and both wires are red.

This is the switch in the middle:

And this is the wiring on the back of the switch:

What you are describing with the vacuum ports and 2 wire terminal is the "wiper door solenoid" and it is responsible for controlling the wiper door operation. With my conversion, this device is no longer used, but the wiring that turned it on and off is the wiring that you use to turn the relay coil on and off in my conversion.

This is the wiper door solenoid that is mounted to the back of the tach:

I don't have a pic of the wiring connector that attaches to it, but it has yellow and blue wires in it.
Hope this helps!

Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 PM
71bbc
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, looks like everything solved. Thank you so much.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Rayhay69
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seeking some help please. I've got everything installed and wired. However when the limit switch has the wipers arm parked on it and it is closed. The motor turns constantly. Any idea why this is happening? Faulty relay?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 06-25-2017, 09:55 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rayhay69
Seeking some help please. I've got everything installed and wired. However when the limit switch has the wipers arm parked on it and it is closed. The motor turns constantly. Any idea why this is happening? Faulty relay?

Thanks,
Ray
Hi Ray, not trying to sound like Captain Obvious, but are you absolutely sure all your wiring is correct? You have double-checked it all?

The first thing I would check is the motor. With the motor disconnected from the control circuit, does it respond normally to +12v input on each of the trigger wires? The motor should turn 180 degrees and stop with the first trigger input, and then turn the second 180 degrees and stop with the second trigger input.

You can test the relay by checking for continuity between it's contacts; remove the wires on terminals 30, 87a, and 87. Leave the coil wires attached to terminals 85 and 86:

- when the coil is de-energized, contacts 30 and 87a will have continuity, but 30 and 87 will not
- when the coil is energized, contacts 30 and 87 will have continuity, but 30 and 87a will not

Old 06-26-2017, 04:27 AM
Rayhay69
6th Gear

Thanks for your reply. After a frustrating day in the garage getting attacking by mosquitoes. I stumbled on the problem while probing the relay with the meter. I pulled the relay half out of the socket to allow some probing. When I did this everything started working as designed. When I pushed the relay snugly into the socket it would go bonkers again. The insides of this Chinese relay must be floating around when its pushed tightly into the socket. I'll be replacing it with a quality one today. I'd sure not want to be the first astronaut on a Chinese space shuttle. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:38 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rayhay69
Thanks for your reply. After a frustrating day in the garage getting attacking by mosquitoes. I stumbled on the problem while probing the relay with the meter. I pulled the relay half out of the socket to allow some probing. When I did this everything started working as designed. When I pushed the relay snugly into the socket it would go bonkers again. The insides of this Chinese relay must be floating around when its pushed tightly into the socket. I'll be replacing it with a quality one today. I'd sure not want to be the first astronaut on a Chinese space shuttle. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Glad you got it sorted out fairly easily!

I never use cheap relays for this exact reason, I only use ones made by Tyco, Bosch, or Hella.

Post some pics and/or vids of your finished project!

Old 06-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Rayhay69
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Glad you got it sorted out fairly easily!

I never use cheap relays for this exact reason, I only use ones made by Tyco, Bosch, or Hella.

Post some pics and/or vids of your finished project!

Thanks for posting you wiper mod. Works like a charm and easy on the budget. I'll post a pic and video after I touch up the paint and do some wire management.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:29 AM
BRIANGOAD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job. Now I just need a complete kit to install so I dont have to think and work hard = Lazy. I have no door opening nor functioning wiper motor on my 68 right now, just clicks. Want to get door opening fixed then work on motor replacement. Wiper party in Cali! Whos in?
Old 08-15-2017, 01:03 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BRIANGOAD
Great job. Now I just need a complete kit to install so I dont have to think and work hard = Lazy. I have no door opening nor functioning wiper motor on my 68 right now, just clicks. Want to get door opening fixed then work on motor replacement. Wiper party in Cali! Whos in?
As far as I know, there a 2 commercially available wiper door conversion kits available, and they both cost about $1000.

The first is made by a company called ECPB, and it is hideously huge and ugly!!!

The ECPB kit also used to operate very slow, but they have since changed to a faster linear actuator. Most of the Corvette parts supplies sell this kit, there is a video of it in operation on Zip's site:

http://www.zip-corvette.com/68-72-el...rsion-kit.html

The second kit is made by Detroit Speed and Engineering, and it is a VERY well engineered kit. The wiper door motor is hidden under the wiper door, with nothing showing in the engine compartment. This kit is a much better deal than the first kit because for the same $1000 you also get a modern windshield wiper motor with delay control.

The DSE kit was used in the recent build of their C3 test car, as well as this '68 Corvette:

A video of the DSE kit:

The DSE kit: https://www.detroitspeed.com/1963-19...wiper-kit.html

By comparison, my conversion costs about ~$200, mostly depending on the cost of the Miata headlight motor.

That being said, if the DSE kit was available when I was first thinking about this, I may have just used their kit instead......just not sure if delay control for my wipers is worth the extra ~$800 or so!!

I will come from Canada to Cali to install one on your car, but the trip/food/beer/lodgings will be on you!!!! Might be cheaper to buy the DSE kit!!!

Thanks for reminding me that I need to update this thread with my pics hosted somewhere else since PhotoFuckit single handedly wiped out years of the internet pictorial database !! Dirty rotten *******!!!!
Old 08-16-2017, 11:37 PM
BRIANGOAD
Advanced

Thanks Ill follow your lead and instructions and gather up the parts. I think the wiper motor is dead too. Is there any issue using the 69 wiper motor other than using an external washer pump?
Old 09-03-2017, 02:06 AM
BRIANGOAD
Advanced

Ok I ordered a few pieces :

PWM:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-60V-Max-20...kAAOSw0fhXiKJa

and your Limit Switch that you showed- delay from China...

Would anyone have an extra LH Miata motor they want to sell with the isolated ground? two wire from motor? Id be interested in purchase.

I also need to replace the wiper motor and dont need the built in pump as I will run a separate electric pump for them. So what is the better motor to use?

Thanks Brian

Last edited by BRIANGOAD; 09-03-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey Shoot me an email- richard454 at comcast dot net

I have a few motors.

The wipers???

Depending how far you want to modify the existing system-

You can use a C4 wiper motor or might can find one without the Corvette tax as the Oldsmobile Cutlass mid 80's used the same one!

It 's a positive switched - uses a smaller motor and has intermittent functions. Has a park function and two of the three holes line up- drill a hole for a third leg and you are there. The arm is the same as well.

Richard

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
BRIANGOAD (09-03-2017), carriljc (12-02-2018)
Old 09-03-2017, 01:53 PM
BRIANGOAD
Advanced

Thanks sent you and email about the motor. Brian
Old 09-03-2017, 03:44 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Ill follow your lead and instructions and gather up the parts. I think the wiper motor is dead too. Is there any issue using the 69 wiper motor other than using an external washer pump?
Hi Brian, the wiper motor isn't really a part of the wiper door control circuit, so any 69-72 Corvette wiper motor will work.

Ok I ordered a few pieces :

PWM:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-60V-Max-20...kAAOSw0fhXiKJa

and your Limit Switch that you showed- delay from China...

Would anyone have an extra LH Miata motor they want to sell with the isolated ground? two wire from motor? Id be interested in purchase.

I also need to replace the wiper motor and dont need the built in pump as I will run a separate electric pump for them. So what is the better motor to use?

Thanks Brian
Ahhhh, the joys of waiting for the slow boat from China to arrive!!!

The used Miata headlight motor market has dwindled quite a bit, I believe due to several individuals selling headlight conversion kits using these motors as well as so many doing the DIY headlight and/or wiper door conversions. This place still sells the motors for $45 ea:

http://www.planet-miata.com/index.php?section=31630995

As for the wiper motor, any 69-72 motor will bolt in and wire up the same. Rock Auto sells them for a reasonable price, to avoid the dreaded "Corvette Tax" Richard mentioned!!! I removed the built-in pump and used a universal separate pump, and then used a 75-82 plastic cover to clean up the appearance of it:

Zip sells the covers:
http://www.zip-corvette.com/75-82-wi...tor-cover.html

The following users liked this post:
BRIANGOAD (09-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To ***DIY: 68-72 Wiper door vacuum to electric conversion***

Old 09-03-2017, 04:13 PM
BRIANGOAD
Advanced

Thanks guys. Want to get this fixed up as the mornings on the coast get a bit dewy. Soon as I get a motor Ill work on fabing up the mount and connection and wiring.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:50 PM
BRIANGOAD
Advanced

Richard check you junk folder....Sent you a few emails. Thanks Brian
Old 09-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Rayhay69
6th Gear

Here is a pic of my recent wiper conversion. I'll upload a video as soon as I can.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rayhay69:
7t2vette (09-05-2017), BRIANGOAD (09-05-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ***DIY: 68-72 Wiper door vacuum to electric conversion***