Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

North Carolina assigned vin number....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Default North Carolina assigned vin number....?

According to the seller this 72 has NC vin numbers.....No number on the block or vin plate on the windshield post....It now has a SC title in his name, he says it's a clear title not issued as rebuilt or salvage....Something just doesn't seem right to me about it....I'm waiting on better pics of the car and vin number...I'll call NC motor vehicle dept to see what I can find out before even looking at it in person.

Anybody have any experience with assigned vin's....?

Brian
Old 04-13-2015, 08:55 PM
mtnance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Wee
According to the seller this 72 has NC vin numbers.....No number on the block or vin plate on the windshield post....It now has a SC title in his name, he says it's a clear title not issued as rebuilt or salvage....Something just doesn't seem right to me about it....I'm waiting on better pics of the car and vin number...I'll call NC motor vehicle dept to see what I can find out before even looking at it in person.

Anybody have any experience with assigned vin's....?

Brian
Hmmm, very suspect. You'll need to call the License and Theft section of DMV. They have very limited hours and may not return calls for a few days. Usually the DMV will issue VIN's for projects like a hot rod, home built trailer, etc. Personally I would steer clear unless using for parts. Plus, not sure where the car (or current owner) lives, but I would question why it all of a sudden it has a SC title.

Last edited by mtnance; 04-13-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: word added
Old 04-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Wee
Drifting

Seller bought car out of NC but lives in SC and had it titled there. Thank you for the info.

Brian
Old 04-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 868 Likes on 372 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Stolen? Removing a VIN is a felony in most states.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 PM
mtnance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Wee
Seller bought car out of NC but lives in SC and had it titled there. Thank you for the info.

Brian
I had a somewhat similar experience but it was the other way around. Bought in SC and retitled in NC. What screwed up was the SC title had 2 digits incorrect to the VIN on the car. A "Z" listed as a "2", etc. But, I didn't have any vin's missing from the car as in this(your) case. However, I had to have the car inspected by the Theft folks and they did a complete search to check if stolen, etc. Along with the previous owner history of the car. Their hours were 8AM - 10AM M-W-F,...very limited. Once the verified the simple issue of two digits recorded wrong, I got my title.

The bonus in all of this was I got some history of the car. They allowed me to have a copy of all their paperwork too. Just in case something comes up in the future.

I think I'll change my original post and say I'd even stay away from the parts. If stolen, you're going to lose them and your money.

Good luck. Very frustrating to find "the car". Either overpriced, too much wrong, misrepresented, not the options you want,..but a clean vin and title would be at the top of my checklist.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

There would have to be a really good reason the pillar VIN that came from the factory is void,

In Florida dmv would likely give you a big rash if they would allow it titled here at all...
Old 04-14-2015, 06:39 AM
Jasonb86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say pass due to the vin issue. It's a red flag that will hurt future saleability even if you could get over it.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Jasonb86
...I would say pass due to the vin issue...

Pass on this one.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:42 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Ditto, I ran into a car with a CA issued VIN.

While it is perfectly legal it just raises too many red flags.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:37 AM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a NY State issued VIN on my 68 Mustang. Bought the car in 1985 dirt cheap to restore. During the dis-assembly process I found the VIN plate held on by screws and it didn't match the one stamped in the car. Had both VIN's checked by Suffolk & Nassau auto theft squads through some friends and both came back clean.

Had to apply to DMV for a new VIN, bring them the car to inspect, verify everything and only then did they assign a NY State issued VIN. By the time I was done it felt like a trip to the proctologist

Something screwy in the cars history, but never found out the details

Jim
Old 04-14-2015, 08:57 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

I have a little experience with reissued vettes, and I can honestly say it was very positive.

If the car is local and has a clear title, I would at least go and look at it. BUT FIRST, the asking price would have to be in line with the reissued VIN. Clear title or not, it wont ever bring the $$$ a similar car with its factory vin will at resale.

Also depends on the car. Big block? small block? 4 speed, auto? AC? Coupe or convertible? Other options?

Who knows, you just might get into a chrome bumper vette for the bargain of a lifetime because of it. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:21 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by John 65
I have a little experience with reissued vettes, and I can honestly say it was very positive.

If the car is local and has a clear title, I would at least go and look at it. BUT FIRST, the asking price would have to be in line with the reissued VIN. Clear title or not, it wont ever bring the $$$ a similar car with its factory vin will at resale.

Also depends on the car. Big block? small block? 4 speed, auto? AC? Coupe or convertible? Other options?

Who knows, you just might get into a chrome bumper vette for the bargain of a lifetime because of it. Good luck.
I had a Corvette with a NJ VIN number once. Never had a problem with the car, sold later on without a problem. Agree, the price needs to be in line with what the car is. Quite possible it may be a recovered theft, could be a great driver. Maybe a bit of investigation into how it received the state issued VIN would be wise?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Wee
Drifting

It's listed for 11,500 -- small block-- 4 speed-- no AC--No power brakes or steering--no vacuum systems work. Car look OK in pics that are posted in the ad....I'm waiting on additional pics including the vin plates. I also told the guy I would need a copy of the title to fax my tag office to make sure I could get it titled in my name....I'll just wait and see if I get the info I need to move forward or not....It's about a 3 to 4 hour drive to look at it.

Brian
Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Griff2002
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

If you go look at it I would suggest checking the frame stampings to see if they match with the last digits on the VIN.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:22 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

What part of South Carolina is it in?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have dealt with this DIRECTLY at my shop when the NCDMV came into my shop due to the factory VIN plate was rusted away and only being held on barely by one rosette rivet. So the DMV took the VIN tag and assigned it with a new NC VIN and it was riveted to the left hinge post....and NOTHING was wrong with the car at all....other than a badly rusted VIN tag. And this was all done due to a windshield frame and pillar posts that needed to be replaced....and there was NO way to save the VIN tag. And it is not that big of a deal due to the paper trail is being conducted by a state....unless you are person who is 'hung-up' on the number's game....and not enjoying the car for what it is. If it has a CLEAN title...that is all that matters.....unless you are looking for a numbers car.....which is fine also.

DUB
Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I have dealt with this DIRECTLY at my shop when the NCDMV came into my shop due to the factory VIN plate was rusted away and only being held on barely by one rosette rivet. So the DMV took the VIN tag and assigned it with a new NC VIN and it was riveted to the left hinge post....and NOTHING was wrong with the car at all....other than a badly rusted VIN tag. And this was all done due to a windshield frame and pillar posts that needed to be replaced....and there was NO way to save the VIN tag. And it is not that big of a deal due to the paper trail is being conducted by a state....unless you are person who is 'hung-up' on the number's game....and not enjoying the car for what it is. If it has a CLEAN title...that is all that matters.....unless you are looking for a numbers car.....which is fine also.

DUB

People get really upset with vin issues, but someone shines light on it,
This same thing would happen in florida but still fl is weird if they didnt do the re issue, and in other threads on this I see purists say that this re-issue decal makes the car worthless...which I do not agree with.

Get notified of new replies

To North Carolina assigned vin number....?

Old 04-14-2015, 09:13 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
...unless you actually think about selling the car eventually.

Someone concerned about this doesnt necessarily have to be a numbers geek or doesnt enjoy their cars. The fact remains that the majority of potential buyers will have serious misgivings about buying a car with a re-tagged VIN, regardless of the reason. And the one guy who buys it will want it for a drastic discount.

Like it or not, you will sell the car someday.

Unless you can buy it for next to nothing, and will drive the wheels off of it and consider it disposable at that point, I'd simply look at one of the zillion other cars for sale that doesnt require explanations and excuses about the VIN.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:28 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
...unless you actually think about selling the car eventually.

Someone concerned about this doesnt necessarily have to be a numbers geek or doesnt enjoy their cars. The fact remains that the majority of potential buyers will have serious misgivings about buying a car with a re-tagged VIN, regardless of the reason. And the one guy who buys it will want it for a drastic discount.

Like it or not, you will sell the car someday.

Unless you can buy it for next to nothing, and will drive the wheels off of it and consider it disposable at that point, I'd simply look at one of the zillion other cars for sale that doesnt require explanations and excuses about the VIN.
I have to respectfully disagree having owned one myself. Bought it for a modest price, sold it without a problem. The fellow I sold it to drove it for another year, then sold it. This as back in the 80's, a 73. At the time I never heard of a state issued VIN, didn't matter that much to me or the buyers who followed. If one were to come up now I may be a bit more skeptical mainly because of the predictions of doom I read on this forum, concern this may influence potential buyers. The car will certainly never be collectable but could be a great driver.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
If it has a CLEAN title...that is all that matters.....unless you are looking for a numbers car.....which is fine also.
^^^THIS^^^

I've also been down this road before. If the car has a state issued vin that means any problems/issues in it's past have been resolved. Considering the background checks/information required to obtain a state issued vin the car has less chance of being stolen than most the cars in this forum.

I notice most those offering the gloom and doom have never actually dealt with this issue before.

On a personal level my main concern would be knowing the history and reason for the reissued vin.

Quick Reply: North Carolina assigned vin number....?