L88 hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 PM
bbcngineer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L88 hood scoop

Guys,
My car came with 3 hoods. All of them are stock type eckler hoods. I am thinking of putting a L88 scoop on one and have it painted with the car. Can I just buy the scoop and mount it to one of the existing hoods?
Kevin
Old 04-22-2015, 09:18 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

I was looking at hood scoops a few hours ago.......about $260 for a high rise scoop that can be molded onto a regular hood.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:06 AM
bbcngineer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I was looking at hood scoops a few hours ago.......about $260 for a high rise scoop that can be molded onto a regular hood.
Yes I was also on the ecklers web site looking. 219 for the low one 260 for the high one. I think I'm going to pull the trigger as I have 3 hoods. I'll keep 2 and sell one to finance the scoop.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a long style L88 scoop ill sale if anyone is interested in it. Not sure what it's worth. I tried to sale in the past but shipping across the country was pretty high.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:40 PM
73C34me
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by bluegtp
I have a long style L88 scoop ill sale if anyone is interested in it. Not sure what it's worth. I tried to sale in the past but shipping across the country was pretty high.

This was a stock 73 hood w/ an aftermarket scoop molded in. It took a fair amount of glass work to make it fit.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You have to be careful when you buy a hood scoop and bond it to a hood. The type of fiberglass that the hood is made out of and the type of fiberglass that the scoop is made out of may be different...because you did not let us know what year or type of fiberglass these hoods you have are made out of if you know this.

I do fiberglass work....and it is POSSIBLE...but I also takes time...especially if you are looking for perfection when competed.....and in the future....you can not tell that the scoop was molded in.

DUB
Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
You have to be careful when you buy a hood scoop and bond it to a hood. The type of fiberglass that the hood is made out of and the type of fiberglass that the scoop is made out of may be different...because you did not let us know what year or type of fiberglass these hoods you have are made out of if you know this.

I do fiberglass work....and it is POSSIBLE...but I also takes time...especially if you are looking for perfection when competed.....and in the future....you can not tell that the scoop was molded in.

DUB
I bonded an L88 scoop on my stock hood over ten years ago and I just love the look, especially from behind the steering wheel. One big bonus is that the opening in the rear serves to evacuate all that hot air in the engine bay. You can actually feel it with your hand over the opening. Any overheating issues will go away.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:02 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default If you are just getting it for cosmetics (Looks!)

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
I bonded an L88 scoop on my stock hood over ten years ago and I just love the look, especially from behind the steering wheel. One big bonus is that the opening in the rear serves to evacuate all that hot air in the engine bay. You can actually feel it with your hand over the opening. Any overheating issues will go away.
But if you plan to put a proper chamber underneath, then the carb needs to get sealed!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:13 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcngineer
Guys,
My car came with 3 hoods. All of them are stock type eckler hoods. I am thinking of putting a L88 scoop on one and have it painted with the car. Can I just buy the scoop and mount it to one of the existing hoods?
Kevin
Keven Long or short hood ? I have a short one with L 88 already done .Where are you located ?PM me an e mail and I will send pics
Wes
Old 10-12-2015, 12:53 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Lowbuck, on my camaro with L-88 scoop driving down the road the back of the scoop appeared to pull air in not duct it out....

73c34me...very sweet!

I have many thoughts on this subject, some purists will say remove and save the stock hood which in my would is pointless, in your case it's pointless,
For some glass work is epic others just wanna make it sound epic,
In 30 plus years I have seen a lot of scoops glassed to hoods and in the case of "fiberglass" to "fiberglass" if prepped and done right they seldom crack, but like I said it much be done right, I have seen first timers get wonderful results.

If a person is modding a c3 or any car for that matter and have a good fitting hood then adding a scoop is a great way to know the hood will still fit sweet, and hoods on c3's are hit or miss with fit even factory car to car, my hood my fit your car great and Jacks car crappy.
I see good new scoops posted on florida craigslist like 150.00 but in many cases L-88's cowls and other scoops are over sized and shipping fees suck, cash and carry swap meets are a great place to score a good scoop cheap.

Here is an 80 hood that we put an L-88 scoop on the scoop is from a Camaro hood, and we did the edges very sharp, some will like some will hate,

The short L-88 going on my car was like 125.00 used on craigslist and I could not beat that price and that is not rare c3 hoods pop up cheap all the time...

Old 10-13-2015, 07:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree. if the scoop is just for the visual effect. That is one thing.

If it is to become functional hood scoop....then modifications need to be made so the scoop is supplying fresh outside air....just like how GM has done them.

By no means am I writing or implying that hood scoops can not be installed and look great YEARS later.....but I can honestly write that I have seen enough BAD hood scoop installations where they look like total crap.....so I also know that is possible also...which is all I was trying to communicate. For all of those who have had great success in this modification to their Corvette....I am truly glad.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To L88 hood scoop

Quick Reply: L88 hood scoop