Fun at Charlotte Motor Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:42 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by rvzio
Great shots Pete. That looks like a fun day for sure. Good job.
zio
Thanks Roger! Alan and I thought of you as we hovered over a very original silver '69 coupe in the serial number range of 03200, which I thought was very close to yours.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:03 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Thanks Roger! Alan and I thought of you as we hovered over a very original silver '69 coupe in the serial number range of 03200, which I thought was very close to yours.
Wow! that was pretty close 03636. I hope to go to that next year. Maybe even bring the car or better yet drive it their.
r
Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi r,
Pete's right we did think of you when we spent the day with that silver 69.
The really good part was that not only did we get a chance to hover 'over' it, we also got to spend time 'under' it while it was on a lift.
LOT'S to see on a relatively untouched car.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-28-2015, 12:20 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi r,
Pete's right we did think of you when we spent the day with that silver 69.
The really good part was that not only did we get a chance to hover 'over' it, we also got to spend time 'under' it while it was on a lift.
LOT'S to see on a relatively untouched car.
Regards,
Alan
I was wondering if you had any pictures. I will draw on both of your memories if there are no pictures. I wish I could have seen that.
r
Old 04-28-2015, 03:45 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by rvzio
I was wondering if you had any pictures. I will draw on both of your memories if there are no pictures. I wish I could have seen that.
r
Hi Roger,

Here are a dozen. These were things that piqued my interest that may or may not help you. I found the poor quality standards very interesting: poor panel fit, drips, runs, poor paint coverage. Then small little details, like the tie rod clamps and their installation, intriguing. Take these pictures for whatever you will.

Ever wonder how the emblem paint was applied? And how sometimes the checkered flags aren't always the same location for black and white? The master judge told a very interesting story.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:14 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Hi Roger,

Here are a dozen. These were things that piqued my interest that may or may not help you. I found the poor quality standards very interesting: poor panel fit, drips, runs, poor paint coverage. Then small little details, like the tie rod clamps and their installation, intriguing. Take these pictures for whatever you will.

Ever wonder how the emblem paint was applied? And how sometimes the checkered flags aren't always the same location for black and white? The master judge told a very interesting story.
Great pictures Pete, I have been going over them a lot. The door seams look good not sure how flush they are. Pretty dirty engine compartment. Trailing arm shims are wrong. You could never get the long cotter pin through that way. Boy this make me feel like I may have a chance! Also the eye brow trim is painted along with the main piece.
Thank you
r
Old 04-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi r,
I believe you'll find that 68-69 trailing arm alignment shims have holes in them that the trailing arm bolts pass through.
Note the frame didn't have the holes drilled for the cotter pins to pass through that were used when the shims holes were changed to slots near the end of the 70 model year production.
The car is a Bowtie candidate (maybe already a Bowtie Award winner) and therefore is unrestored. It has been gently cleaned with the primary concern being to maintain the appearance and finishes on the car as it now exists.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-28-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:40 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi r,
I believe you'll find that 68-69 trailing arm alignment shims have holes in them that the trailing arm bolts pass through.
Note the frame didn't have the holes drilled for the cotter pins to pass through that were used when the shims holes were changed to slots near the end of the 70 model year production.
The car is a Bowtie candidate (maybe already a Bowtie Award winner) and therefore is unrestored. It has been gently cleaned with the primary concern being to maintain the appearance and finishes on the car as it now exists.
Regards,
Alan
AH, that explains all of what I noticed. Those are all the people looking and judging. Wow that will be a very nerve racking time for any owner. I would be a nervous reck! Now I am not to sure about my car having a chance. It will be safe though.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi r,
Actually Peter's pictures show what is know as an Advanced Judging Seminar.
An original unrestored car of interest is chosen and studied in detail by a group of judges led by a very knowledgeable person or persons.
We in fact spent about 2 1/2 hours in the morning and about the same in the afternoon with the car.
What's good about this is that it creates an opportunity to talk about a car's originality and condition, and how that knowledge is used in Flight Judging.
The car is in fact a candidate for the Bowtie Award and will be judged at the National Convention in Denver in July.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-29-2015, 08:39 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Hi r,
Actually Peter's pictures show what is know as an Advanced Judging Seminar. An original unrestored car of interest is chosen and studied in detail by a group of judges led by a very knowledgeable person or persons.
I sat in on that seminar as well. Paul Olansky led the session and did an excellent job, teasing out opinions on both originality and condition from participants. Paul is a chassis judge for both NCRS and BG and serving as an NCRS Regional Director. He's good knowing the cars but also how to handle people and fickle owners.

What's good about this is that it creates an opportunity to talk about a car's originality and condition, and how that knowledge is used in Flight Judging.
I was impressed with Paul's technique. he used the judging sheets to trek attendees through the various sections of the judging sheets engaging them in the process to make the call. At the end, he wrapped up with notable items. I was more interested in Pauls teaching/training style than the 69 but it certainly served as a great training aide.

Not all advanced seminar trainers use this technique. Some like to talk attendees to death by illustrating how much they know...which I find tedious, exhausting and downright boring.

In fact, that's me (photo=Extras-4_zpsyfkh02r5.jpg) with my back to the camera, blue hat, black NCRS jacket with NCRS Lowe's speedway national logo on the left sleeve under the vehicle while it was perched on the lift. Paul is to my left describing probably the paint, or lack of the on the oil pan.

Last edited by hunt4cleanair; 04-29-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
In fact, that's me (photo=Extras-4_zpsyfkh02r5.jpg) with my back to the camera, blue hat, black NCRS jacket with NCRS Lowe's speedway national logo on the left sleeve under the vehicle while it was perched on the lift. Paul is to my left describing probably the paint, or lack of the on the oil pan.
Tom if you wanted your picture taken you should have said so!

Actually, I believe that is the point when we were reviewing the starter. Paul was pointing out that a starter number with an 8 as the 4th digit (1108338) will have a phillips head screw whereas a starter number with a 7 (1107365) should have a flat head screw. I found that interesting as I've never seen the flat head screw.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
Lot's of interesting things to look at for the preserver or restorer.
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Hi Alan,

The discussion on this process was also interesting. I was thinking to myself, "how is Alan going to properly duplicate this finish?"
Old 04-29-2015, 09:52 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Pete,
Ah, the "how do I duplicate the 'as forged' appearance quandary"
!?!?!?!?!?
The sad thing is that I can remember spending a day removing that scale 20+ years ago to make the strut rod 'pretty'!
If only I could start over!
Regards,
Alan

Another tough one is the extruding marks on the drive shaft and half-shafts!

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-29-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Fun at Charlotte Motor Speedway