C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions: C3 vs. C6 - Why do you love your C3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Opinions: C3 vs. C6 - Why do you love your C3?

A little background info... in the past, I've owned a 95 6 spd coupe and a 98 auto coupe. I think you can see both in my profile pic.

The 95 was my first vette. It was hard to get in and out of. If there were grooves in the pavement, it would track them like a locomotive. But it was really fun to drive on curvy back roads and row through the gears. The Competition Yellow was an attention magnet. I remember it fondly.

I sold it to get into my 98 coupe. The performance level was a step above. I went with an automatic for ease of use in traffic. It was easy to get in and out of...it was low and sleek and fast and much more "user friendly". I loved it. Sadly, I had to sell it a couple years ago to help my daughter get into a dependable daily driver. I still miss it.

I've finally gotten back to the point where I can have a car to play with. It won't be a daily driver. Just a fun run on the weekends toy.

I'm torn between my desire for my teenage "dream car"...a chrome bumper C3, and my adult fantasy... a 2008+ LS3. I know that comparing the two would be like apples to...oh, potato salad. But I know there are many out there who have owned both a C3 and a C6 (maybe at the same time...lucky bastards). I'm just looking to hear your experiences and why you kept your C3 or would go back to your C3, or alternately why you prefer the C6.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RJ1AZ; 05-24-2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: photo location
Old 05-24-2015, 09:53 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

No feeling like the whole parking lot turning to look when I fire up my 72 with side pipes. Get the thumbs up everywhere i go. Its rewarding to work on the C3 and make it a one off. Ive rebuilt the motor, converted from auto to manual, installed side pipes and am in the process of hanging flared fenders now. I sold my 03 when my son was born. About the only thing i could work on was putting in a vararam air intake. Will get another one day. Will never get rid of the chrome bumper car though.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:30 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Why not enjoy the best of both?

Even with the LS3 in my 71, I have been seriously comtemplating selling my C3 and trying to pick up a Z06 or C7 Z51 for track days. I struggle with the idea of selling the 71 though because no matter how much faster (or really just more composed) a C6Z would be on the track, it just isn't the same as getting behind the wheel of this car.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:14 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default I got lucky

I got lucky, not very often, but very lucky this time.

I have a 2008 and a 1968, like you say, apples and oranges. I would say the 2008 is without a doubt a luxury sports car in every way. And the 68 is old school class, no a/c, no pb, and without a doubt gets a lot of smiles everytime I am out. I even had a guy in a 93 Ruby Red flag me over and wanted to buy it (not for sale today though, LOL's). Anyway, if you can only have one, sorta of depends I think, on what you want to do with it. Short cruises, car shows local, probably the 68. If you want to go longer trips, more comfortable, overnights, vacation, bring a happy wife, might need the 2008 instead.

Good news is, great fun whatever you decide.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:30 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

A C6 is a nice car. My co workers have a 2008 LS3 and a 2010 Z06. They do everything great but they are no old school cars.

They both wish they had an old C2 or C3.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:54 AM
Mgunn
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just going through the same situation. My first vette was a 91 for about five years. Sold it, then got a 02 which I owned for six. I just recently sold the 02 and was having a hard time choosing between a C6 and an early C3. I ended up buying a beautiful targa blue 72 last week and I'm very happy with my decision.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:11 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I have a 68 big block and a C6 Z06. I wouldn't choose one over the other. They are completely different cars. I have always had a newer Vette. The Z06 is the first newer Vette I did not get bored with after a couple of years. It's brutally fast, fuel efficient and comfortable. It's a great road trip car. The older Vettes get more attention for sure. As fast as the old big blocks are, the newer Z06's will walk away from them with the AC going and the stereo blasting.

It all depends on how you plan to use the cars. I view the old ones more as toys and the newer ones much better for traveling.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Kelleyo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My C3 (All original 69 BB) is a classic car hobby/lifestyle. I cruise, go to shows, etc. I was 5 years old when my 69 was built and so the C3 was the Corvette I always loved. It's "my generation". I am at the point of my life where I have the ability to have things that I always wanted. My other car is a 4WD SUV. I have to tow boats, waverunners, haul dogs around, and my lake house is down a 3 mile dirt road so I truly "use" my 4WD. I really like the new Corvettes but I need a different type of car for my daily driver and I do not need a stable of cars so for me it has never been whether I would buy a C3 or a C6. For me it was C3 or nothing.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Night and day difference between the two cars. I sold my newer Lingenfelter because I never drove it, was always in the C3. I did midas the fuel injection and dependability however, so I combined the best of both worlds.

In a sea of C6s and C7s here a late model doesn't stand out, C3 for me.

Last edited by Corey_68; 05-25-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

My first vette was an '07 C6. It was a retirement gift to myself. We truly loved the car for all the reasons stated above. We sold the C6 to a friend and purchased a C3 last July. The C6 exceeds the C3 in every category except for style and nostalgia. If you like to tinker, then the C3 is the car for you...plus no computers. The C3 is more difficult to get into and out of. Our C3 is a "driver" but we only use it on short trips or for club events. So it falls into the "toy" class of vehicle. We enjoy it very much and appreciate all the positive feedback we get from others on the road. It's always cool to see a passing vehicle apply brakes to pull back alongside to give a thumbs up. If I could afford it, I would own both, but my other toy is an airplane so I am at my black hole limit without risking a divorce.

Good luck in your decision.

Tom

Last edited by Tom69; 05-25-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I'm in the same boat.. I'm deciding between a chrome bumper C3 Convertible or a C6 Convertible.. I've owned both.. I had a 2005 Convertible from 2006 to 2007 and 4 chrome bumper C3 convertibles.. (2 x 1968 and 2 x 1969)
It's a tough decision.. Even with the best weatherstripping, C3's will leak in heavy Florida rain while the C6 won't.. The C6 could be driven every day while the C3 only on fair weather days.. Most reasonably priced chrome bumper verts won't have the AC which makes the windows fog in rain etc. etc. It's not a daily driver type car while the C6 can be driven daily..

I'm actually also looking in 1958 to 1960 Vettes if I could find one for a reasonable price..
Old 05-25-2015, 03:40 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Not another c3 vs later Corvettes threads,

Like I always say If I a had to keep it and not flip it then I would never want anything newer than the c3,

C6 does zero for me all the things the c3 does for me the c6 lacks.

However, you are asking this in a c3 forum, get the car you really want, or if you are bucks up buy both but no one can tell you what YOU want.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Not another c3 vs later Corvettes threads,

Like I always say If I a had to keep it and not flip it then I would never want anything newer than the c3,

C6 does zero for me all the things the c3 does for me the c6 lacks.

However, you are asking this in a c3 forum, get the car you really want, or if you are bucks up buy both but no one can tell you what YOU want.
It's 2 different worlds.. Ideally for me, I wish that I could have a chrome bumper converible that does not leak even in heavy florida rain, with all the power options and 25+ mpg on the highway of the C6 with a nice overdrive transmission. Sure, you can convert any C3 to a LS2 but the cost and effort is very high to do so. In the looks department, no late model Corvette comes close to a sexy chrome bumper C3 convertible
However, if I would choose my favorite year, it would not be a C3.. I love 1958 Vettes!! Too bad that they are a little out of my price range right now...
Old 05-25-2015, 06:26 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.

Thanks for sharing, everyone. I just wanted to hear from those that have been there, done that.

Worse case scenario, I decide to go one direction, don't like it, sell, and get the other. Sounds like win-win!

I look forward to becoming active in the forum again. Had a lot of fun over in the C5 section before. I'm hoping to get something bought before the end of the summer.

Happy Memorial Day!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:53 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1AZ
A little background info... in the past, I've owned a 95 6 spd coupe and a 98 auto coupe. I think you can see both in my profile pic.

The 95 was my first vette. It was hard to get in and out of. If there were grooves in the pavement, it would track them like a locomotive. But it was really fun to drive on curvy back roads and row through the gears. The Competition Yellow was an attention magnet. I remember it fondly.

I sold it to get into my 98 coupe. The performance level was a step above. I went with an automatic for ease of use in traffic. It was easy to get in and out of...it was low and sleek and fast and much more "user friendly". I loved it. Sadly, I had to sell it a couple years ago to help my daughter get into a dependable daily driver. I still miss it.

I've finally gotten back to the point where I can have a car to play with. It won't be a daily driver. Just a fun run on the weekends toy.

I'm torn between my desire for my teenage "dream car"...a chrome bumper C3, and my adult fantasy... a 2008+ LS3. I know that comparing the two would be like apples to...oh, potato salad. But I know there are many out there who have owned both a C3 and a C6 (maybe at the same time...lucky bastards). I'm just looking to hear your experiences and why you kept your C3 or would go back to your C3, or alternately why you prefer the C6.

Thanks in advance!

Hummmm.....I see .....so you ve never really owned a Corvette yet ........
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

There's really not much debate about which car is faster, handles better, is more comfortable, and is most comfortable when traveling long distances. The C6 is the clear choice.

On the other hand the C3 is by far more fun to cruise around in and tinker on.

As others have said, it all depends on what your intended use is. I owned both at the same time and I wound up selling the C6 because I rarely drove it. On long trips I used other cars because I didn't want stone chips and I didn't want to rack up miles on it. I also got weary of the depreciation on the newer Vettes - when the C7 came out, everyone was bailing from the C6's to get the latest and greatest.

The good news is it's hard to make a bad choice.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:05 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
It's 2 different worlds.. Ideally for me, I wish that I could have a chrome bumper converible that does not leak even in heavy florida rain, with all the power options and 25+ mpg on the highway of the C6 with a nice overdrive transmission. Sure, you can convert any C3 to a LS2 but the cost and effort is very high to do so. In the looks department, no late model Corvette comes close to a sexy chrome bumper C3 convertible
However, if I would choose my favorite year, it would not be a C3.. I love 1958 Vettes!! Too bad that they are a little out of my price range right now...
you are right different worlds and each person has their own different tastes, like my wife asked "they changed so much why are the all called "corvettes?" great question, I think the names of cars should change when the design does.
A lot of the things you desire I do not care about, and I bet things I like you do not care about, but what you want is out there in the top end of the resto rod world, 58, 63, 69 you name what year vette and someone has dropped the body on a modern everything, mega dollar? you bet! but it's out there.
And compared to the cost of a top c7 it's not that bad.

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT

You went there....

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions: C3 vs. C6 - Why do you love your C3?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:55 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The13Bats
you are right different worlds and each person has their own different tastes, like my wife asked "they changed so much why are the all called "corvettes?" great question, I think the names of cars should change when the design does.
A lot of the things you desire I do not care about, and I bet things I like you do not care about, but what you want is out there in the top end of the resto rod world, 58, 63, 69 you name what year vette and someone has dropped the body on a modern everything, mega dollar? you bet! but it's out there.
And compared to the cost of a top c7 it's not that bad.

You went there....
Prices for the restomod Vettes are out of my price range.. In about 2 weeks, I will have approx. $30k to spend on a Vette..but prefer not to spend all of it.. I actually try to stay below $25k (after anything the car may need)..
The possibility to drive the C6 every day without having to worry about a tropical downpour fogging up the windows and leaking into the interior are good reasons to opt for a C6 over a C3. Of course, in the looks department as also when it comes to the sound of a C3, the C3 wins..

Last edited by GrandSportC3; 05-25-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:25 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Here's a few facts to take into consideration.

There are two types of cars. Those that depreciate in value, and those that appreciate. Every day that goes by, that C6 is worth a little less, and that C3 is worth a little more.

10 years ago when I bought my '72, my son bought a used '02 Z06, which was really something special back then and got all the attention, my '72, not so much. Now his Z06, while still a great car, is not that special, while my '72 is more so and gets the attention.

Though pretty reliable, the C6 is a complicated beast, and parts are not cheap, nor are all systems aboard are user serviceable or friendly. There isn't much on a C3 that can't be fixed by your average gearhead.

To me, neither vehicle excels as an everyday driver.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:38 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
Hahahahahahaha!......ahem. Age-ism among the generations? Say it ain't so!!! Lol.

Quick Reply: Opinions: C3 vs. C6 - Why do you love your C3?