Sponsored by:

Delco radio not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:42 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Delco radio not working

I bought a low mileage 1972 with an after market radio installed. I also have the original amfm mono radio which I want to install. I was told the after market install caused no damage, but I had to replace the speaker connectors, the power connector and the amp was also gone so I bought a clean used one; correct single ds501. All re-wiring was done properly with solder and heat shrink. I have power to the unit and the light works, but no sound; not even a buzz or static. Speakers are the original 10 ohm. Even tried another (1971) radio with the same result. Yes the radio case was grounded. Both radios were sitting for a number of years, but are not beat up, rusty and are very clean. Could the amp be bad? Am I missing something?
Old 06-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Test the 501. It's the final audio output for the radio.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:14 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

This is what I found so far...If you're not an EE or electrical tech with bench experience and/or access to a transistor checker, you can probably phone around to local radio/TV shops to find someone who can test the 'suspect' DS-501 for you (along with your replacement). I think I'd start by verifying the integrity of the existing speaker drive xsistor before going on what might be a wild goose chase for a replacement....
How do I test it? I also found the blue is the collector, green is base and yellow is emitter.
Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Test the 501. It's the final audio output for the radio.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Jerry - Radio Guy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Want to start with a more simple test? Since the chance of a C3 DS-501 being totally bad is rare to never, you can take a flash light battery and put it across the individual (left and right side) green and black speaker leads. Disconnect the radio first not that you would hurt it. Each time you connect it you will hear a thump sound. No, you won't hurt the speakers. No thump - it's open.

Or use an ohm meter which will read approx 8 dc ohms (with the radio disconnected). No continuity - it's open.

Original 4X6 C3 speakers are absolutely notorious for developing open voice coil leads on the surface of the cone under the black liquid tape material.

Good hunting!
Old 06-06-2015, 06:23 PM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Thank you Jerry. Tested both speakers with a D battery; no thump and no reading with the ohm meter.
Originally Posted by Jerry - Radio Guy
Want to start with a more simple test? Since the chance of a C3 DS-501 being totally bad is rare to never, you can take a flash light battery and put it across the individual (left and right side) green and black speaker leads. Disconnect the radio first not that you would hurt it. Each time you connect it you will hear a thump sound. No, you won't hurt the speakers. No thump - it's open.

Or use an ohm meter which will read approx 8 dc ohms (with the radio disconnected). No continuity - it's open.

Original 4X6 C3 speakers are absolutely notorious for developing open voice coil leads on the surface of the cone under the black liquid tape material.

Good hunting!

Get notified of new replies

To Delco radio not working

Quick Reply: Delco radio not working