C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic Floor Jack Recommendations - what works, what lasts, what would you avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Hydraulic Floor Jack Recommendations - what works, what lasts, what would you avoid?

I did a search but it looks like the hydraulic floor jack discussions are all about 6 years old or more. Since the quality of jacks seem to get worse as companies try to reduce costs, I thought I'd better start a new discussion.

My trusty Sears 2 ton floor jack from 30 years ago gave up a couple of years ago, and a pair of cheap Chinese WalMart clearance jacks ($15 each) that filled the gaps and supplemented the Sears have finally given up. I haven't had any luck finding any place that rebuilds jacks, so it looks like buying new is the only option.

And with old age (at least I feel that way when lifting a jack), I figure aluminum is the way to go. The obvious options are Sears and Harbor Freight, but I'd like to get something that isn't going to die in 3 or 4 years and that will last like my old Sears did (roughly 25 years).

What have you?
Old 06-22-2015, 11:33 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I have an omega black magic. It is a very low profile Jack. It works great for my c5 since it can get under the nose without hitting.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had great luck with my Harbor Freight low profile aluminum jack. Going on about 10 years now and I use the heck out of it.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:48 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Default Hydraulic Floor Jack Recommendations - what works, what lasts, what would you avoid?

Originally Posted by 13611
I've had great luck with my Harbor Freight low profile aluminum jack. Going on about 10 years now and I use the heck out of it.
Ditto
Old 06-23-2015, 08:05 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 13611
Surprisingly, me too. It has not leaked or had any issues to speak of. I do have a much nicer, more expensive, aluminum jack that looks nearly identical as well, but the smaller Harbor Freight seems to be my go-to. I use to carry it in my ramp truck and still take it to the track with me.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:33 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Compac floor jacks - Made in Denmark

The Compac 90555 jack has a 3" saddle height and 5" frame height. It's 37" long and can reach front central jack points without restricting handle travel on most cars. Three year warranty. Spare parts availability. This a jack that your unborn grandkids will be happy to inherit.

http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...tegory=6233010
Old 06-23-2015, 08:35 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

I have the HF low profile steel jack (about $80). It's low enough so that it will fit under the front of the car and reach the front cross member and have a 2x6 as a pad (don't yell at me about this). Heavy as a bitch but it's on wheels! Also, since my garage floor has huge expansion joints (thank's for nothing Shea Homes!), when the wheels of my engine hoist fall into one of the joints, the jack will fit under the hoist frame and lift it out.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:36 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

rebuilding hydraulic jacks is EXTREMELY easy. there are several tutorials out there. that said, most of my jacks are freebies that I fixed, except my two HF aluminum low profile jacks. I love 'em. I have two because we used them to jack up a small building to move it. The building slipped and crushed one on its side, but I was able to take it apart and press the side plate flat again and it is as good as new...a great deal for a nice light low profile floor jack...
Old 06-23-2015, 09:51 AM
C3_ERROR
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

HF here also. I picked this one up for like $59.00 on one of their sidewalk sales.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-s...ump-69227.html
Old 06-23-2015, 01:50 PM
hipocars1
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull the hydraulic cylinder and send it to these guys for rebuilding.
http://hydraulicrepairmi.com/kawkawl...ack-repair.htm
They rebuilt two cylinders for me from Sears jacks that were built in the '70's. They have been trouble free for many years.
If you attempt to rebuild your jack yourself, be aware that there's "heavy metals" contaminents in the cylinder, not something you want to fool with.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:25 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

A tidbit about floor hydraulic jacks I was told is to store them flat on their own wheels.
Do not stand them on end to save floor space! I was told that is bad for the gaskets and such. It greatly shortens their lives if stored improperly.

I'm no expert but my current floor jack sits flat on its own wheels not on its side or on end and has already outlasted my other improperly stored jacks by a factor of 2 and is still going!

Scott
Old 06-23-2015, 03:59 PM
BLDun
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Harbor Freight here also!! Blue aluminum racing low profile with quick lift. Been using it about 10 years and no complaints or failures!!
Old 06-23-2015, 05:06 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

This one!!! Got tired of the cheap ones going out or not having enough lift clearance. This one will lift the entire rear high enough to slide the old steel ramps under both wheels at the same time. Will also lower an auto transmission with said car on the steel ramps and able to clear frame pulling transmission out. Has the quick foot pump also which is nice.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-L...ump-68050.html
Old 06-23-2015, 06:06 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I agree with all the others. If you kept your trusty old Sears, you can fairly easily rebuild it. Do a search on the garage forum for instructions.

If you tossed it, give one of the Harbour Freight aluminum jacks a try. They seam to last very well and if they don't, at least you got it cheap!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:06 PM
SS164
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Hein-Werner Well built and "Made In USA"
Old 06-23-2015, 10:38 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by rajin cajin
This one!!! Got tired of the cheap ones going out or not having enough lift clearance. This one will lift the entire rear high enough to slide the old steel ramps under both wheels at the same time. Will also lower an auto transmission with said car on the steel ramps and able to clear frame pulling transmission out. Has the quick foot pump also which is nice.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-L...ump-68050.html
I caught that one on sale and love it. It is heavy, but I don't do nascar style pit stops so I just like how low it is and how high it will go. And the price.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:06 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I have 4:
30 year old steel monster from an old school auto parts store
Costco Aluminum jack; strong but it leaks
2 cheapo HF jacks; one is pretty old and well used.

Love 'em all; get the most use outta the HF cheapos

Get notified of new replies

To Hydraulic Floor Jack Recommendations - what works, what lasts, what would you avoid?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:32 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hipocars1
They rebuilt two cylinders for me from Sears jacks that were built in the '70's. They have been trouble free for many years.
If you attempt to rebuild your jack yourself, be aware that there's "heavy metals" contaminents in the cylinder, not something you want to fool with.
Heavy metals contaminents? where did you hear that? it's just hydraulic fluid and a couple rubber seals...are you filling your jacks with mercury or something? I rebuilt a cylinder from a '50's tractor loader about 8 yrs. ago. the seals were leather...no cancer yet...

it's much more dangerous changing your engine oil. used motor oil WILL cause cancer given enough time and exposure. yet we all do it...
Old 06-24-2015, 08:41 AM
NJStingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was looking to pick up a HF jack, at least this confirms I'm not doing the wrong thing
Old 06-24-2015, 09:03 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by hipocars1

ballpark price for a rebuild?

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Floor Jack Recommendations - what works, what lasts, what would you avoid?