Sponsored by:

Help replacing Mirror T Tops on my 1980

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:58 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help replacing Mirror T Tops on my 1980

So my right side mirrored t top was damaged upon transport to my house . I have an insurance check coming to me and need to know where the recommended places are to buy a replacement .

I was considering getting the smoke gray Astro Tops but have not heard good things about the company .

I can get replacement mirrored tops for around $1125 from a place called Derby City corvette .

I need to make a move soon , so recommendations will help me greatly .

Thanks ...
Old 07-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cb98coupe
I was considering getting the smoke gray Astro Tops but have not heard good things about the company.
I bought a set of those about 1.5 yrs ago at Corvette Expo and they've been great. It seems their 1-piece top is the one that gets all the bad reviews.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I searched around prior to purchasing the smoke tops. Almost everyone has the same prices within a few dollars. I purchased mine at Corvette Mods a forum vendor. It looks like they have a sale going on too.

http://www.corvettemods.com/

http://www.corvettemods.com/68-82-C3...ps_p_6637.html
Old 07-09-2015, 11:21 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Trae1976
I bought a set of those about 1.5 yrs ago at Corvette Expo and they've been great. It seems their 1-piece top is the one that gets all the bad reviews.

Their price is good also . You can get a set for around $900 delivered .

I am a little torn between the smoke and mirrored look (no pun intended )
Old 07-09-2015, 11:25 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

how much did insurance give you to replace them?

i would find a nice used set.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
i would find a nice used set.
I just checked Fleabay and there are some good deals on the used ones if you are interested.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I just checked Fleabay and there are some good deals on the used ones if you are interested.
I looked there too and I am nervous about condition . I would love to save money but some of them look pretty rough .
Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

how much did insurance give you to replace them?

I would find a nice used set.
$1400
Old 07-10-2015, 08:36 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

$1400
I guess you can pretty much get anything you want. Good insurance company.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:42 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

I guess you can pretty much get anything you want. Good insurance company.
Hagerty , I just got the policy too . They were very nice and I have a zero deductible also .
Old 07-10-2015, 09:22 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,023 Likes on 1,312 Posts

There are really only two sources for new transparent t-tops, Thompson Astro Tops, and Melrose Corvette. These are the only companies actually doing new tops.

The main difference between their tops, is that Thompson uses colored acrylic for his tops, and Melrose uses glass, like GM did.

The Thompson tops are cheaper, weigh a little less than the glass ones, and are available in an assortment of colors, but they are more easily scratched. They don't look the same as stock glass ones, and I don't think they look as nice, but that's a personal preference thing.

The Melrose tops use the same LOF brand glass that GM did, in the stronger tempered glass used in 81-82 tops, not the laminated glass used in 78-80. Melrose tops only come in two colors, the stock OEM mirrored gray glass, and black glass. The glass tops are no more likely to scratch, than any other glass, but are easily cracked if dropped or bumped. The glass tops are also more expensive, and each top weighs about 5 pounds more than an acrylic one. The mirrored glass Melrose tops, look identical to factory glass tops.

Thompson doesn't offer much in the way of a dealer wholesale program, so you can usually buy them direct for the same or less, than from a Corvette vendor. Melrose on the other hand, has a generous dealer program, and their dealer's often sell their tops, for less than you can buy them direct.

Your old, cracked glass tops can be turned in as cores, against either type of top. I think they give about $125 each for the old tops, as cores.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:15 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gbvette62
There are really only two sources for new transparent t-tops, Thompson Astro Tops, and Melrose Corvette. These are the only companies actually doing new tops.

The main difference between their tops, is that Thompson uses colored acrylic for his tops, and Melrose uses glass, like GM did.

The Thompson tops are cheaper, weigh a little less than the glass ones, and are available in an assortment of colors, but they are more easily scratched. They don't look the same as stock glass ones, and I don't think they look as nice, but that's a personal preference thing.

The Melrose tops use the same LOF brand glass that GM did, in the stronger tempered glass used in 81-82 tops, not the laminated glass used in 78-80. Melrose tops only come in two colors, the stock OEM mirrored gray glass, and black glass. The glass tops are no more likely to scratch, than any other glass, but are easily cracked if dropped or bumped. The glass tops are also more expensive, and each top weighs about 5 pounds more than an acrylic one. The mirrored glass Melrose tops, look identical to factory glass tops.

Thompson doesn't offer much in the way of a dealer wholesale program, so you can usually buy them direct for the same or less, than from a Corvette vendor. Melrose on the other hand, has a generous dealer program, and their dealer's often sell their tops, for less than you can buy them direct.

Your old, cracked glass tops can be turned in as cores, against either type of top. I think they give about $125 each for the old tops, as cores.
I think I am going to get the Melrose mirror tops . I am pretty sure that Derby City corvette sells them . I can get a set for $1125 and keep the $300 for a rainy day .

Thanks for the good info .
Old 07-10-2015, 12:35 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Hagerty , I just got the policy too . They were very nice and I have a zero deductible also .
Good to know, I just switched to Hagerty a few weeks ago.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:15 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trae1976
Some people don't like the one piece Astro Top... but I like mine... 1/2 the weight, it doesn't have a center seam to leak...

Get notified of new replies

To Help replacing Mirror T Tops on my 1980

Quick Reply: Help replacing Mirror T Tops on my 1980