1972 TT Column Ignition Switch Operation

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:19 PM
jbrown_47
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1972 TT Column Ignition Switch Operation

Hello All,

I recently struggled to remove the properly functioning TT Steering Column in my '72 to access my dashboard and install pedals for a manual transmission.

While doing so, I removed the ignition switch from the column (before unbolting it from the fire wall) to give me a little more wiggle room. The switch fell to the carpet, but suffered no apparent damage.

With the steering column out of the car, I attempted to re-install the ignition switch and found that it will not line up with the bolt holes on the column housing because the rod from the sector assembly seems to be functioning opposite to the design of the switch. It looks like the rod should be pushing the switch to the start position, however the rod is definitely pulling back as the key is turned to the start position, creating the spacing issue and binding.

What I'm wondering is- Could I have done something to change the operation of the gear/sector to reverse it's operation? Or, is it possible I damaged the switch to create this condition? I really don't want to open up the column since it was working so well, but I will if required.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:28 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

I don't have any advise, except that those TT columns are very complicated.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:25 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

On a T&T steering column, when you twist your ignition key to full CW position, you are in the START mode. The ignition rod that extends from the column head to the ignition switch pulls up (away from the firewall) to place the ignition switch in the START mode.

From your description of the problem (and you seem to have a good grasp of the terminology), it is impossible that the steering column/ignition switch is now working in the opposite direction.

This picture shows a T&T ignition switch correctly installed on the steering column jacket (viewed from the driver side of the steering column. Also please disregard the black dimmer switch below the ign switch in this picture.

Hopefully the above picture is all you need to install the switch correctly on the jacket.

Jim
Old 08-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

On pages 4 and 5 of the following paper, I have discussed the proper way of installing the ignition switch so that it is correctly synchronized with the steering column.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...v16DE20141.pdf

Just disregard any comments on "dimmer switches" because they weren't part of the Corvette steering column until the 1977 model year. Also, your 1972 steering column has a lever on the lower end for the General Motors Steering Column/Transmission Shirt Interlock system. This lever was on all Corvette columns (1969 through 1976). That is the type that you have.

With the column out of the car, you need to place the lever in the full DOWN position to get the column to synchronize with the switch.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 08-01-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:17 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 547 Likes on 375 Posts

Thanks for this post. This was going to be one of my problems pretty soon! I have a NOS switch that I'm going to install.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:06 AM
Legolar
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, bare with me, I'm a total newbie here - but is it possible to have the rods "configured", or out of position so poorly or 'wrong' that main power could come on and stay on without the key? Simply with just the battery terminals connected? My 92 has a new tumbler. And well...... its doing JUST that. New battery, 6 speed 68k original miles. Just occured to me. Same behavior before and after the tumbler replacement. Main power, I think auxillary. Alarm, Check Gauges and thats it. Vats 11 key made. Quadruple checked. 4.75 And oh yeah- no start. Nothing.

Last edited by Legolar; 09-18-2022 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:51 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

You lost me right after the word Okay. You have a '92? This is the C3 Forum....and a 7 year old thread

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 TT Column Ignition Switch Operation

Quick Reply: 1972 TT Column Ignition Switch Operation