Bolt on fuel injection anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:15 AM
StingRazor
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt on fuel injection anyone?

Looking to replace a 750 Holley double pumper on my 400 small block in a 73
I'm looking for the best tbi for the money. Lots of reasons.....non ethanol gas is only sold at 1 gas station within 30 minutes. They close at 5 and are closed on weekends ! No credit cards....

Anyone with opinions please let me know. Btw this car is not original.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:33 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

As long as the motor is reasonably mild I'd recommend the Holley Terminator TBI system.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

what percentage ethanol? If 10% whatever problem you are having is not the gasoline.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

If the ethanol bothers you add about 1/4 can of seafoam to a tank of gas.

Brian
Old 08-04-2015, 02:18 PM
StingRazor
Heel & Toe

No problems just the occasional bogging at low speed. Cutting off after a full throttle run. Easy to flood out taking off. I just figured it was the gas.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:37 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Have you checked the float levels?
Have you checked with the engine off if the primary and secondary accelerator pumps are shooting gas out the squirters?
Is this car an automatic or manual?
What is the initial timing set for?
What is the total advance set for?
Seem to be a lot of things to check before investing in FI
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 PM
StingRazor
Heel & Toe

I'll check all that. This carb baffles me . It will run great. Then the next day it won't run . Sometimes it cuts off and won't take gas then it runs great. ? I'm ready give up.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by StingRazor
I'll check all that. This carb baffles me . It will run great. Then the next day it won't run . Sometimes it cuts off and won't take gas then it runs great. ? I'm ready give up.

First of all the so-called "double pumper" (mechanical secondary) carburetors are track racing carburetors and were never intended for street use. Street engines operate between from 550 rpm to 5500 rpm and have ever-changing needs for throttle openings. Track racing carburetors on the other hand operate around 4000 rpm and up under almost constant wide open throttle. A mechanical secondary carburetor can be used on a street engine but it provides way too much throttle opening in many instances whereas a vacuum or AVS will prevent too much throttle being applied. That's why none of the high performance engines ever came from the factory with a mechanical secondary carburetor.

When you give a mechanical secondary carburetor a full throttle at low rpm the air velocity thru the primary and secondaries drops to almost zero and you get a huge bog or flat spot until the rpm gets high enough to accept that big of a throttle opening. If you would simply put a correct Holley on it like a 600 cfm vacuum secondary your problems will likely end.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:30 PM
StingRazor
Heel & Toe

Makes sense. It was built to run wide open. I just wanted the best of both worlds.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:00 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
Have you checked the float levels?
Have you checked with the engine off if the primary and secondary accelerator pumps are shooting gas out the squirters?
Is this car an automatic or manual?
What is the initial timing set for?
What is the total advance set for?
Seem to be a lot of things to check before investing in FI
Old 08-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Justwin24
Advanced

Don't rule out water in the gas tank
Old 08-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
...That's why none of the high performance engines ever came from the factory with a mechanical secondary carburetor.
I don't have proof to the contrary but I don't believe that to be true.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:56 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Default You are correct

Originally Posted by Priya
I don't have proof to the contrary but I don't believe that to be true.
The L-88 carburetor was a DP
Old 08-06-2015, 11:05 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

since you asked for opinions, ditch the dp carb, get a proper street carb, and someone who knows how to dial it in for your particular engine. all your symptoms point to wrong carb setup...
Old 08-06-2015, 12:17 PM
StingRazor
Heel & Toe

I disconnected the mechanical secondary and it runs good. It's too easy to flood with the double pumper setup. I'll get a 600 Holley with vacuum secondary and electric choke. $300 vs 2000$ for fuel injection sounds good to me.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:33 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

goes to show, running on 2bbl's is actually not too bad...my tri-power only runs on the middle carb most of the time, same with a quadrajet...
Old 08-06-2015, 10:25 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Many 'carb' problems are actually ignition problems. Check your points and condensor or your HEI/electronic ignition box, if you've converted.

Don't forget to check/clean the electrical connections...especially the grounds to the electronic ignition systems.

P.S. If you have points and you've cleaned up your engine compartment, including painting the distributor hold-down bracket, that may be your problem. The "distributor housing/hold-down bolt/hold-down bracket to the engine block" is the ground path for the distributor's electrical system. Didn't know that? Well, it is. Make sure there is a 'clean metal' path through those touching parts so the ground circuit can be made WELL.

Get notified of new replies

To Bolt on fuel injection anyone?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:52 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by StingRazor
In the late 70's early 80's? my dad rip a retired Navy aircraft tech and machinist tossed the carb on his 400 sb Avanti for the then new and high dollar Holley pro jection for all the same reasons lots of people do not like carbs, However, too many Holleys and yes DP'ers run really well on street cars, the problems you have are tuning and or physical issues with the carb and possibly other things like 7T1vette is talking.

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
First of all the so-called "double pumper" (mechanical secondary) carburetors are track racing carburetors and were never intended for street use. Street engines operate between from 550 rpm to 5500 rpm and have ever-changing needs for throttle openings. Track racing carburetors on the other hand operate around 4000 rpm and up under almost constant wide open throttle. A mechanical secondary carburetor can be used on a street engine but it provides way too much throttle opening in many instances whereas a vacuum or AVS will prevent too much throttle being applied. That's why none of the high performance engines ever came from the factory with a mechanical secondary carburetor.

When you give a mechanical secondary carburetor a full throttle at low rpm the air velocity thru the primary and secondaries drops to almost zero and you get a huge bog or flat spot until the rpm gets high enough to accept that big of a throttle opening. If you would simply put a correct Holley on it like a 600 cfm vacuum secondary your problems will likely end.
And we are off..again..

The simple fact even if some people insist on ignoring it...remember people once thought the earth was flat is DP'ers / MS carbs do very well on more street cars than I can count, the cats tune them and it happens, saying they are never any good on a street car is nonsense and misinformation.
I will not get into pointless debates what any carb was made for and try to force some cat to believe as I do and run what I tell HIM to run.

My dads Avanti happened to have been runing a DP holley, my dad wasn't scared to dial it in and his 400 Avanti was a sleeper terror when I pushed him why the swap to FI he said, I like the faster starting and better mileage....
Old 08-07-2015, 01:07 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I absolutely will be going to FI. Not today, but the plan is in the works. I wanted to get my car on the road. Accomplished. Mine is a work in progress. 4 yrs to restore and get it on the road. The rest of my life to upgrade.
Yup, ran a D.P. Holley 750 back in the day in a Camaro, along with a very early nitrous system. Car ran like a bat out of hell. Darn things aint worth a hoot on the street. Riiiight.

Last edited by Sunstroked; 08-07-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:15 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
In the late 70's early 80's? my dad rip a retired Navy aircraft tech and machinist tossed the carb on his 400 sb Avanti for the then new and high dollar Holley pro jection for all the same reasons lots of people do not like carbs, However, too many Holleys and yes DP'ers run really well on street cars, the problems you have are tuning and or physical issues with the carb and possibly other things like 7T1vette is talking.

And we are off..again..

The simple fact even if some people insist on ignoring it...remember people once thought the earth was flat is DP'ers / MS carbs do very well on more street cars than I can count, the cats tune them and it happens, saying they are never any good on a street car is nonsense and misinformation.
I will not get into pointless debates what any carb was made for and try to force some cat to believe as I do and run what I tell HIM to run.

My dads Avanti happened to have been runing a DP holley, my dad wasn't scared to dial it in and his 400 Avanti was a sleeper terror when I pushed him why the swap to FI he said, I like the faster starting and better mileage....
Toobroke is the worst "broken record syndrome" case I've ever seen. He has an opinion and he's apparently very proud of it. I suppose we should all be happy for him. Thankfully there are plenty of folks here at the forum who know better than to buy into his misguided little campaign. I look at the bright side- it's providing the rest of us with some great entertainment. I wonder if he thinks he's serving some higher purpose. Anyway, we may as well just continue to enjoy it for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: Bolt on fuel injection anyone?