69 Underbody Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:46 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Default 69 Underbody Insulation

After I clean the tunnel and surrounding area I wanted to do a mock up of the tunnel and underbody insulation. I notice in the AIM page J65 B8 that the tunnel wrap is set back a little. The insulation runs from the firewall down and underneath the body. I see all of that on the donor car. My questions is it appears that the underbody insulation also turns up into the tunnel. Also looks like the tunnel wrap piece would actually go over some of the underbody insulation??
Please help with a picture or advice.
FIGURED IT OUT! NO NEED TO RESPOND!!!!!
ZIO

Last edited by SB64; 09-03-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:27 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Post some pics, I will need to do this also.
Thanks!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

I bought the insulation from Paragon. Your results may vary depending on who you buy it from. I also used aluminum tape from Home Depot to seal the punctures made by the tabs, as well as the seams between the three pieces. Not factory, but I drive the car and never plan to replace it. No NCRS judging planned either.

PS - Don't forget the foam collar around the tranny, or the lower shifter boot, or any missing firewall grommets. Any effort to eliminate engine heat in the cabin in worthwhile.
Attached Images      
Old 09-03-2015, 05:48 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jhudec
Post some pics, I will need to do this also.
Thanks!
I will do that Joe when I install it. Actually just did a mock up.
ZIO

The wide side is what goes on the firewall and wraps into the tunnel and the narrow part runs under the body. Who knew! So the piece you are looking at is for the passenger side.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:51 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
I bought the insulation from Paragon. Your results may vary depending on who you buy it from. I also used aluminum tape from Home Depot to seal the punctures made by the tabs, as well as the seams between the three pieces. Not factory, but I drive the car and never plan to replace it. No NCRS judging planned either.

PS - Don't forget the foam collar around the tranny, or the lower shifter boot, or any missing firewall grommets. Any effort to eliminate engine heat in the cabin in worthwhile.
Once again Faster Rat your pictures are of great help. Just curious, was the Paragon insulation like the one I show or was it all one piece. Also looks like you have the tunnel wrap for the 4spd under the firewall insulation, yes??
Thanks again for your help and pictures.
ZIO

Last edited by SB64; 09-03-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Mine looked like yours. The tunnel went in first, so any overlap must have been with the side panels...but I don't quite remember now. Do you have most of your pointed metal tabs still? Be careful...they bite!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:02 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Mine looked like yours. The tunnel went in first, so any overlap must have been with the side panels...but I don't quite remember now. Do you have most of your pointed metal tabs still? Be careful...they bite!
I have most of the tabs need about 6 more. Making a trip to ZIP in the morning to get them and some other items. Not sure what the lower shifter boot is, unless that is the rubber boot that you see from inside the car??
Old 09-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rvzio
I have most of the tabs need about 6 more. Making a trip to ZIP in the morning to get them and some other items. Not sure what the lower shifter boot is, unless that is the rubber boot that you see from inside the car??
Is your car manual or auto? For manuals, there is a lower rubber boot that is fastened to the tunnel...not the one in the console. I would assume an auto has the same thing. Major source of heat inside the cabin if the lower boot is torn or missing.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Underbody Insulation

Quick Reply: 69 Underbody Insulation