Sponsored by:

steering box play

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default steering box play

Has anyone ever corrected play in steering wheel by greasing steering box? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:52 PM
79C3tnd
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It's possible to eliminate some slop in your steering with proper adjustment of your steering box, but even after that I'd be more inclined to look at the rag joint as your problem. If you haven't ever replaced it, then it most likely needs replaced, and the difference in steering feel will amaze you.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Grease won't hurt. Most people forget to grease the steering box at all. Lou.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 79C3tnd
It's possible to eliminate some slop in your steering with proper adjustment of your steering box, but even after that I'd be more inclined to look at the rag joint as your problem. If you haven't ever replaced it, then it most likely needs replaced, and the difference in steering feel will amaze you.
100%

Adding grease...although would not hurt...IS NOT going to stop any play in your steering.

I am betting the rag joint has play in it. Take a towel and hold onto the rag joint at the steering gear box with your left hand firmly...then with the steering column out of the LOCK position....rock the steering wheel back and forth with your right hand and 'feel' for play in the rag joint when you apply resistance in the OPPOSITE direction of the direction the of steering wheel when you rock it. A little bit of play in the rag joint CAN equate to more free-play. Any free-play is the beginning of the end of the rag joint.

You also can have issues at the power steering control valve play in it.....and tie-rod ends....and the idler arm.

DUB
Old 09-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

K. I'll check rag joint as per your instructions. Tie rod ends, idler arm was going to change eventually. Power steer cont valve, is there a way to check that?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:39 PM
Spot Rot
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

I always go for the roller bearing idler arms. The rubber ones get sloppy too soon. (if you actually drive it)

Get notified of new replies

To steering box play

Quick Reply: steering box play