C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any "Factory Correct" Restorations going on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:10 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
Glad the pictures are of help to you! The purpose for starting the thread in the first place! Sorry, I missed your request for this information previously......I think there is a black plastic protector on that wire holding bracket?

I do notice a difference in the LT 1 vs. the BB now that they are seen side by side. The LT 1 doesn't have the embossed letters seen on the BB grommet, it also appears slightly different in size.

WB
The bracket was half rubber coated then painted. On the factory chrome valve covers, the bracket was half rubber coated and not painted.
Thanks again.

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 09-11-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:50 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
You mean like this one? Think it would fit? Might not be factory correct though.....

This is actually part of a round dining table. Darrell Gwynn gets detonated 500 inch aluminum blocks from the fuel guys and puts these together. They are auctioned for his Miami Project to Cure Paralysis and somebody gave theirs to Dave Walters. I am trying to find the glass top (cut out for the blower) and put it together for the Saturday lunch gathering of his disciples.
Heck yea it'll fit. Somewhere, way out in the country, some ole boy just told his buddy "gimme dat saws all". He'll be on here next week wanting to know if he can put a bigger cam in it, and if the rear can handle the HP.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi WB,
Looking at your pictures reminded me why…..
I pray every night that you'll see the "error of your ways" and renounce that devil "preservation" and find the enjoyment/fulfillment that can only come from total "restoration"!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi WB,
Looking at your pictures reminded me why…..
I pray every night that you'll see the "error of your ways" and renounce that devil "preservation" and find the enjoyment/fulfillment that can only come from total "restoration"!!
Regards,
Alan
A slow and painful death I might agree, but no book or photograph can translate, without subjectivity, as compared to the "real".

Amen

Last edited by Don Rickles; 09-11-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:47 PM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hi WB,
Still ongoing…. completion date YTBD!
Regards,
Alan

Spending a lot of time searching for ways to decrease the horsepower and methods to fit narrower tires on 8" wheels.

Alan
Was just curious why you wanted to decrease the horsepower?
Old 09-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi m,
Because of the continuing decrease in the width the tires even the original 270 horsepower was proving too much for them.
So I've been looking at varies ways to decrease the engine's out-put. I'm finding it difficult to do that while maintaining it's original appearance.
Might you have any suggestions?
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-11-2015, 08:06 PM
midigike
Drifting

Hi m,
Because of the continuing decrease in the width the tires even the original 270 horsepower was proving too much for them.
So I've been looking at varies ways to decrease the engine's out-put. I'm finding it difficult to do that while maintaining it's original appearance.
Regards,
Alan
The way I would limit HP would be to put a HEAVY throttle spring on the carb, it wouldnt hurt drivability and stock tuning and you will have to put you're foot into it to get it to go! Anything else and I would be afraid of engine damage, like a smaller carb, timing adjustments, etc. I actually have a heavy spring I use when I bring the car in for service or something, just in case some hot shot gets behind the wheel and desires to tear it up, it does not let the secondarys open. It is a easy job to just switch to the correct spring before a show or judging. Plus no one will be the wiser, except you!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by midigike
The way I would limit HP would be to put a HEAVY throttle spring on the carb, it wouldnt hurt drivability and stock tuning and you will have to put you're foot into it to get it to go! Anything else and I would be afraid of engine damage, like a smaller carb, timing adjustments, etc. I actually have a heavy spring I use when I bring the car in for service or something, just in case some hot shot gets behind the wheel and desires to tear it up, it does not let the secondarys open. It is a easy job to just switch to the correct spring before a show or judging. Plus no one will be the wiser, except you!
Interesting!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi m,
Thanks for the reply!
I really was just kidding in my h.p. post.
It was in response to all the "how big a tire can I fit?" and "how much horsepower can I make for $2,000?" threads.
The picture actually shows the truth… installing a restored original aluminum radiator led to some re-doing of other things too. I'm afraid that for me a restoration isn't ever finished!
WB feels as strongly about 'preservation' as I do about 'restoration' which has enabled us to become excellent friends.
Regards,
Alan

It's actually nice to know that someone is reading the drivel I write!
Old 09-11-2015, 09:01 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

It's actually nice to know that someone is reading the drivel I write!
You have more followers than you know!
Old 09-11-2015, 09:53 PM
midigike
Drifting

Alan

I played the fool, but now I'm thinking that 71 is king of the burn out tire squealer contests. I agree though seeing a beautiful factory restored Vette is truly a gem.

Off note though, anybody heard from "toobroke" lately?
Old 09-12-2015, 06:17 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
Alan,

Did a search and that's who I came up with as well. Great solution to an often overlooked maintenance item! A little activated charcoal, some foam, a factory filter, and a large O ring... A little bit of work and you're good to go for another forty plus years.

By the way, I dismounted the two Firestones that were on wheels so now all three tires are ready to go. Hopefully, I'll be able to get you up here in a few weeks so you can take a look at them.

Regards,

Stan
I am glad people are getting some value out of my posts. I sure get lots of value out of others on here.
Have been fairly slack recently but will get back to things.
While my 71 is not stock I have tried to put a lot back to factory and change only those things that I feel need improving and don't detract from the original interior or exterior look.
If I put my 215 white stripe 15"s on it can pass as fairly stock.
The following users liked this post:
Rowdy Rat (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 07:22 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi m,
Regards,
Alan
Well....this is first for me. LOL....I frequent several car site and since I've been on the net , I don't believe I've ever seen anybody speak of lower there HP below stock ....LOL......at least intentionally ....LOL....hats off for,thinking outside the box

Seems only about 50% of hop up ....add a cam to flat lifter NONE roller change out even succeed today ...most end up it seems in metal in th oils pan after 2000 miles . I guess the metal is just poor in today's lifters and camshafts.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 AM
rastafford3164
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
You have more followers than you know!
+1
Old 09-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by rastafford3164
+1
Well deserved, too!

This man has literally given me the shirt off his back, like half a dozen times!

About a year ago I had an open house, a building I had just finished restoring, Alan drove over three hours one way just to visit!

I can go on and on about the kindness of our Alan71!

He is a true friend, a friend that I'm very happy to have in my life!

Old 09-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi WB,
"Well, golly-g!!!"
Alan

Old 09-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
Someone whom I've done some plating for sent me these.
I don't THINK they're are very many sets around anymore…. I was pretty excited when I opened the package!
Regards,
Alan

Old 09-12-2015, 03:56 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Nice find

Hi,
Someone whom I've done some plating for sent me these.
I don't THINK they're are very many sets around anymore…. I was pretty excited when I opened the package!
Regards,
Alan

That is a very nice find Alan.

One more of those harder to find parts.

Bill

Quick Reply: Any "Factory Correct" Restorations going on?