Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of resin to use???

Old 09-12-2015, 07:46 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Default What type of resin to use???

Yes, I did do a search but to no avail... Ok, having got that out of the way, I am restoring my dash and putting in Vintage air, I have a crack in the cowl that I want to repair while It's easy to bet to so if I remember right there is a different resin to use on our Vettes, am I right and if so what type is it? Thanks for the help!
Old 09-12-2015, 08:24 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Yes, I did do a search but to no avail... Ok, having got that out of the way, I am restoring my dash and putting in Vintage air, I have a crack in the cowl that I want to repair while It's easy to bet to so if I remember right there is a different resin to use on our Vettes, am I right and if so what type is it? Thanks for the help!
SMC resin with laminate not cloth will work. Can you get to the inside or will the work be on the outside. Depending on the size of the crack (need a picture) you MIGHT be able to use some VPA ( Vette Panel Adhesive). I had a crack in my floor board under the clutch pedal. I used resin for SMC fiberglass and laminate to make the repair that you won't see once carpeted.
ZIO

Hope this helps!
ZIO
Old 09-12-2015, 08:42 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

The newer corvettes may require something different but For the C3's I have just been using resins typically bought at Advance Auto parts or Auto Zone. Been using it for many years with zero problems. They also sell the fiberglass mat and fiberglass cloth that you use with the resin. The cloth is tighter woven and typically goes on first as a holding base and has more strength than the mat. Then the mat is used for building thickness.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:52 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bj1k
The newer corvettes may require something different but For the C3's I have just been using resins typically bought at Advance Auto parts or Auto Zone. Been using it for many years with zero problems. They also sell the fiberglass mat and fiberglass cloth that you use with the resin. The cloth is tighter woven and typically goes on first as a holding base and has more strength than the mat. Then the mat is used for building thickness.
Correct I also use the resin from Advance which states can be used for SMC usage. Was not sure what year model he had. No cloth for originality on C3 69 though. You are also correct on cloth for strength. I guess he has a lot he can choose from. Love the avatar car bj1k.
ZIO
Old 09-12-2015, 09:07 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rvzio
Correct I also use the resin from Advance which states can be used for SMC usage. Was not sure what year model he had. No cloth for originality on C3 69 though. You are also correct on cloth for strength. I guess he has a lot he can choose from. Love the avatar car bj1k.
ZIO
Thanks for that. That was my 68. Should have kept it . Sold it to a guy in Ohio and it got stolen out of his garage in the middle of the night . He never got it back. I have tried to change the picture to my present 72 but the pictures are too big. It won't except them and computers and camera's are not my thing.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:21 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys, rvzio I can get it from inside, it's pretty long, maybe 6 inches. Do you have to terminate cracks like you do with metal? I figured on drilling a hole at each end just to be safe and using the dremel I'll V it a little so I can have something for the cloth to get into and grab a hold of... Thanks again guys
Old 09-12-2015, 10:22 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I happened to have the same question this morning for my SMC '77 vette. The Body & Paint section of this forum has some answers. If you have a SMC car, you'll need epoxy resin. WEST SYSTEMS epoxy resin and 1.5 oz non-woven mat is what you want.
Polyester resin for pre-SMC vettes. -R
The following users liked this post:
AirborneSilva (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 06:36 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys, rvzio I can get it from inside, it's pretty long, maybe 6 inches. Do you have to terminate cracks like you do with metal? I figured on drilling a hole at each end just to be safe and using the dremel I'll V it a little so I can have something for the cloth to get into and grab a hold of... Thanks again guys
I did not use any metal, I did span the crack a few inches on each side. . I also applied 2/3 layers of mat to obtain some strength. I prepped the fiberglass by cleaning with lacquer thinner, resin to body and mat and applied. Not to much resin but not to dry. A small paint brush to dab out any bubbles until it started to setup. Then 2 more layers. There are probably a number of ways but this worked best for what I had.
ZIO
Old 09-13-2015, 06:41 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for that. That was my 68. Should have kept it . Sold it to a guy in Ohio and it got stolen out of his garage in the middle of the night . He never got it back. I have tried to change the picture to my present 72 but the pictures are too big. It won't except them and computers and camera's are not my thing.
I can't believe the guy had your car stolen right out of his garage, and they never found it. Man that's terrible. You must have been stunned when you found out.
ZIO
Old 09-13-2015, 07:03 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

I did not use any metal, I did span the crack a few inches on each side. . I also applied 2/3 layers of mat to obtain some strength. I prepped the fiberglass by cleaning with lacquer thinner, resin to body and mat and applied. Not to much resin but not to dry. A small paint brush to dab out any bubbles until it started to setup. Then 2 more layers. There are probably a number of ways but this worked best for what I had.
ZIO
Thanks ZIO, I wasn't talking about using any metal was just wondering if I should drill a hole on each end of the crack to stop the crack from continuing, I've worked with some metal before and know that if you have a crack you drill a hole on each end before you weld it, otherwise the crack will just continue after the weld. I'm just glad this is in an area where it won't ever be seen so I don't have to worry about making it pretty
Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

I can't believe the guy had your car stolen right out of his garage, and they never found it. Man that's terrible. You must have been stunned when you found out.
ZIO
That's not the whole story. It gets worse. He said they had air condition running so they didn't hear anything when they were sleeping . The next morning he went outside and saw the garage doors open and the man door and nothing left in the garage . I mean nothing ! The Corvette was gone along with his classic black 442 and his wife's SUV and everything including welders and hand tools. When he called the police the officer said he saw the corvette and the 442 going through town together in the middle of the night but had no probable cause to stop them. The SUV was probably with them but it wouldn't stand out. When he told me about this the first thing that came to my mind was that this is someone that knows him and knows the garage. I kept in touch with him and they never caught the guys or got anything back. He collected on the insurance and bought a 2001 Corvette convertible. Remember guys , these older cars are easy to steal.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:54 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That's not the whole story. It gets worse. He said they had air condition running so they didn't hear anything when they were sleeping . The next morning he went outside and saw the garage doors open and the man door and nothing left in the garage . I mean nothing ! The Corvette was gone along with his classic black 442 and his wife's SUV and everything including welders and hand tools. When he called the police the officer said he saw the corvette and the 442 going through town together in the middle of the night but had no probable cause to stop them. The SUV was probably with them but it wouldn't stand out. When he told me about this the first thing that came to my mind was that this is someone that knows him and knows the garage. I kept in touch with him and they never caught the guys or got anything back. He collected on the insurance and bought a 2001 Corvette convertible. Remember guys , these older cars are easy to steal.
That is an incredible story. I can't believe a policeman saw the cars. To bad he didn't stop them just to talk about the cars. Unbelievable! The garage was totally empty! Man I think their AC system stinks.
ZIO
Old 09-13-2015, 08:56 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks ZIO, I wasn't talking about using any metal was just wondering if I should drill a hole on each end of the crack to stop the crack from continuing, I've worked with some metal before and know that if you have a crack you drill a hole on each end before you weld it, otherwise the crack will just continue after the weld. I'm just glad this is in an area where it won't ever be seen so I don't have to worry about making it pretty
You can see how slow I am, sorry. I did not put any holes in or by the cracks to stop any running. Your car though, and if that makes you feel more comfortable go ahead. I don't thing you would have a problem with or without.
Good Luck
ZIO
Old 09-13-2015, 01:54 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

You can see how slow I am, sorry. I did not put any holes in or by the cracks to stop any running. Your car though, and if that makes you feel more comfortable go ahead. I don't thing you would have a problem with or without.
Good Luck
ZIO
Cool deal ZIO, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To What type of resin to use???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What type of resin to use???