Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Road Race Replica Ideas Sought

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 03:32 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

How about running hoodless ... a nice race car look! You could trim the clearance you need out of the canister and weld it up, or have a shop weld it for you. Some pipe dope on the lower fitting if it leaks, but I was sure it has already been fired up with no issues. Ahh the silly problems we encounter going away from stock.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (06-22-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey David-

I have a leftover remote reservoir set- If you want it- I'll be glad to send it to you.

Oh- I saw the Wilwood guys on the Hotrod Power Tour and they have a new bad a$$ one- see below...

Are you running this one?

AllC34Me (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 06:05 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Richard454
Hey David-

I have a leftover remote reservoir set- If you want it- I'll be glad to send it to you.

Oh- I saw the Wilwood guys on the Hotrod Power Tour and they have a new bad a$$ one- see below...

Are you running this one?

Hi Richard, good to hear from you. That is the Wilwood reservoir that I am running, yes. Be glad to pay you for it sir, please just PM me a price and your PayPal and I will friend and family (you are family) right away.
That will help me out a great deal. As for the new billet reservoir, I need to go and check out their site. Cool. Love the look. Thank you sir. David
Old 06-22-2018, 09:39 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by The Phantom
How about running hoodless ... a nice race car look! You could trim the clearance you need out of the canister and weld it up, or have a shop weld it for you. Some pipe dope on the lower fitting if it leaks, but I was sure it has already been fired up with no issues. Ahh the silly problems we encounter going away from stock.

Dave
I actually thought it would be interesting to cut out sections of the hood where the interference's are and then either leave them open or cover them with a clear glass of some sort. When you are custom then you have to be creative at times. I spend more money this way but I want it to be functional while looking like it belongs. No hood mods planned yet, but may try something soon.
David
Old 06-22-2018, 09:12 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
Hi Richard, good to hear from you. That is the Wilwood reservoir that I am running, yes. Be glad to pay you for it sir, please just PM me a price and your PayPal and I will friend and family (you are family) right away.
That will help me out a great deal. As for the new billet reservoir, I need to go and check out their site. Cool. Love the look. Thank you sir. David

HAHAHAHAHA- Pay me for it? Really? I'll drop it off at the post office in the morning as it's right across the street from the weekly Atlanta's version of the Donut Derelicts "meeting."
Old 06-23-2018, 05:41 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Richard454
HAHAHAHAHA- Pay me for it? Really? I'll drop it off at the post office in the morning as it's right across the street from the weekly Atlanta's version of the Donut Derelicts "meeting."
Thank you Richard, I appreciate it. Let me know if I can return the favor any time, be glad to help.
Best regards,
David
Old 06-23-2018, 05:49 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Wow. I like that new reservoir from Wilwood. Pricey but what isn’t on these cars. One of those may find its way under my hood someday.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:50 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I purchased a new reservoir to try with my power steering pump and hydroboost setup. This one has a third connector which will be used for the hydroboost line which avoids drilling and tapping a new line on my current reservoir. It also is a larger diameter but 2" shorter than the current reservoir which I am hopeful will eliminate the issue with hood interference. I will get the new hydraulic clutch reservoir soon and relocate it so I can close my hood. Be nice to button up these two items and then move forward on the project.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:01 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Looks like a better quality reservoir and clamp.
The black anodizing itself is an improvement and the welding is much nicer.
Sometimes things just work out for the better.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 06-25-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:07 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Looks like a better quality reservoir and clamp.
The black anodizing itself is an improvement and the welding is much nicer.
Sometimes things just work out for the better.
And certainly that is the goal. I have to wait until tomorrow to test the fitment due to other commitments today, but I should know pretty soon where I will attach it and confirm it resolves the interference issues.
Fingers crossed.
David
Old 07-22-2018, 06:44 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Without sharing too many details that you don't really want to hear anyway I am slowly working on the car but my broken foot has taken a turn for the worse. While the bone has healed up pretty nicely, the collateral damage to the tendons, ligaments, and muscles has erupted into a serious blood clotting issue that is the focus of my medical time and attention. I just wanted you to know.

I did manage to get the project from my lift to my center garage bay and onto wheel dollies before we discovered the clotting issue so at least I can do some small stuff from time to time on the car.

I also managed to begin the installation of hood pins that will hold the hood closed for me. I opted for a 5/8" pin and rubber housing setup to reduce vibration and keep the hood in place.
Pin placement has been completed and holes drilled to match on both sides of the hood.

The hood holes will be increased to 1-1/4" to accommodate the bushing which will be drilled and fitted in place soon. The pins will then be secured under the hood after final alignment and adjusted to match the height.
Here are the rubber bushings in place sitting on top of the hood. They will be flush when completed.

Here is another view that shows the bushing on top of the hood and the location of the pins on the hood itself.

And that is as far as I got in my allowed time to play on the car for Saturday. I will get back to the car soon and finish the installation of the rubber bushings, the internal attachment of the pins, and the clips that will hold the hood closed and I will share those pictures when I can do so. For now, some progress, however slow, is still a good thing.

More later and thanks for looking.

David
Old 07-22-2018, 07:13 AM
Hemi John
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry to hear of health issues, but slow and steady with lots of thinking is a good plan. The remote reservoir seems like a nice fit, although I do like the direct mount fitting and stabilizer bracket of you current setup. What if you were to shorten present reservoir tank by clearance height? A simple cut near bottom and tig weld. Capacity would be minimally affected and your back in business. Just a thought.....

And I do love to see your project progress posted. Love road race style Vettes!!
AllC34Me (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Hopefully the clotting issues resolved quickly David, best of luck with the rest of your healing.
Car is looking awesome.
AllC34Me (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 01:43 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Wow , that is coming along nicely!

Sure hope your not going to have to deal with medical problems for long !

If I lived in your neck of the woods you probably would have to chase me away me away every nite !

AllC34Me (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 02:29 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

David!

I cannot stress this hard enough.......GET THAT CLOTTING ISSUE UNDER CONTROL AND MAKE IT YOUR PRIORITY! THE CAR CAN WAIT!
My father broke his foot in several places while working at his military position. He fell backwards off a slippery metal steps and his foot slipped under the next step.
He was on crutches for 6 weeks.
He was getting better but would not stay off it like doctor ordered.
One weekend he went up to our lake camp with my mother and friends and spent a lot of time on his feet.
Came home and foot was swollen and hurt. Went to bed. Middle of the night told my mother he was going down to take a shower as he was really sore.
My brother found him DEAD in the shower. He was only 46.
Doctors figured the clot in his leg dislodged and went to his heart. Massive heart attack.

PLEASE TAKE CARE!
God bless
Dennis
AllC34Me (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

David I hope you feel better soon. Like others have said take some time off and take care of that foot. Plenty of time later to finish the car, better to take care of your health first!! I was worried when you were selling things off that something may have happened. Take care of yourself first and then get back to the car in a few weeks.
AllC34Me (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 11:27 PM
EarlyC34me
Parts Sherpa
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks great! Wishing you luck in your recovery.
AllC34Me (07-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Road Race Replica Ideas Sought

Old 07-22-2018, 11:52 PM
dragonist2
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get well soon! That car is a beaut.
AllC34Me (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 05:57 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Pmccooey
David I hope you feel better soon. Like others have said take some time off and take care of that foot. Plenty of time later to finish the car, better to take care of your health first!! I was worried when you were selling things off that something may have happened. Take care of yourself first and then get back to the car in a few weeks.
Thanks Pat. Down to just the road race replica for projects now and that is where I was headed when I broke my foot. I am selling off all non-racer car parts now and my goal for 2019 is to drive and show my cars. I have moved a lot of the parts now that I won't be using, still have quite a few left, will continue the effort until they are gone. All part of the plan now. Thanks for the well wishes and best regards, David
Old 07-24-2018, 03:37 PM
chucksingh
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Get better soon, your a real gentleman.
AllC34Me (07-25-2018)

Quick Reply: 72 Road Race Replica Ideas Sought