Sponsored by:

72 Road Race Replica Ideas Sought

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:24 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I did some dry fit placement today on the interior of the racer. I'll do more soon but so far, so good.
Attached Images       
Old 07-28-2018, 11:21 AM
EnfieldJoe
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

What brand rear, lower, adjustable strut rods are you using? I want to replace my OEM components and been considering both Global West and Van Steel adjustable struts. My 72 is a driver, no plans to race, or autocross.

Thanks, Joe
Old 07-29-2018, 12:19 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by EnfieldJoe
What brand rear, lower, adjustable strut rods are you using? I want to replace my OEM components and been considering both Global West and Van Steel adjustable struts. My 72 is a driver, no plans to race, or autocross.

Thanks, Joe
I am using the V,B,&P adjustable strut system with my V,B,&P composite spring. I bought the V,B,&P Slalom Kit for the car matching front and rear springs, front and rear sway bars, and rear strut setup, with Billstein shocks all the way around. All of it was to improve handling, a bit stiffer for the road coarse feel.
I hope that helps.
David
The following users liked this post:
EnfieldJoe (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 03:13 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

A little time opened up today so I worked on fitment for my front light FIA lens covers. Have not finished the design for attachment yet, but getting closer. I love it when you have time to do a little, think a little, do a little more, etc. Makes for a much more enjoyable build in my mind.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:12 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
A little time opened up today so I worked on fitment for my front light FIA lens covers. Have not finished the design for attachment yet, but getting closer. I love it when you have time to do a little, think a little, do a little more, etc. Makes for a much more enjoyable build in my mind.

I have been following your build and am glad to see how you handle this as I have the same setup to install in mine. Did you paint or powdercoat the aluminum pieces that make up the support housing? Nice work David....as usual.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:01 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Working on my turn signals for the racer now. I ordered and have received a pair of new 1969 round turn signals and I love the look. I asked for and received some damaged front grilles from forum members from 69's and those helped me to begin my grille cut-out, layout. My grille on the 72 racer is from a 66 midyear so it has rectangular cutouts for the lights, those will be modified to accommodate the round turn indicators. When sizing the lights to my backup or spare pair of grilles I realized pretty quickly that I will need the back brackets used on the 69 for mounting the rear of the lights, so those are on order now and will be modified to work with my grilles when they arrive. All in all a custom needed modification but one I think will work well for my racer. Once installed the lights are a direct plug in to my current harness.
This is one of the backing brackets that I will modify to use with my setup.

These are the grilles that are used on the face of the 69.

These three pictures show my 66 grille (spare pair) in chrome that show the area I am working with. I think I can modify the opening to accommodate the backing brackets and allow me to mount my lights flush to the front. Or I hope to anyway.

And this is the harness and bulb light fixture that usually goes through the front plastic grille, then through the metal backing plate mouting bracket and holds the light to the grille. I get to figure this out and I will await the arrival of my new grille backing brackets that are on order now. Not cheap, but nothing about the road race replica is trying to be cheap, just functionally safe and secure.

A buddy of mine, Blaine, took my hood latch pins home with him yesterday and will see if he can machine the thread further up the shaft which is what I will need to have them work. Once those return I will see if my hood pin project can continue to completion.

My goal is to complete my turn signals, my hood pin locks, and my headlamp installation and cover installation while I can sit in front of the car on a chair. Still dealing with the "less is more" idea of strenuous activity while nursing my broken foot back to good health.

I'll share more on the projects when I have more to share. Going slowly at the moement but lots of planning and some buying to get there, so not a total loss.

David
Old 10-01-2018, 07:02 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by David Howard
The 72 Road Race Replica has been sold now and will be traveling across the ocean to Europe in the days ahead.
I thank all of you that have participated in the build with me and wish you all the best of success in your projects in the years ahead.
Best regards,
David Howard
Congratulations.
AllC34Me (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

��. Time to move forward
AllC34Me (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:06 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Bummer. Looks like you have started buying stuff again. Sold your frames and parts, then looked around the yard and did the David Niven thing from the end of The Bridge Over The River Quay. "What have I done?". I was hoping for something other than waving at the tail lights post. What kind of trouble are you getting into next?
Old 10-01-2018, 07:53 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Congratulations! I'm sorry I won't get to see it in person, so your next project will have to be even more impressive!
AllC34Me (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 AM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

I cant believe you sold it! I’m happy you sold it but I really wanted to see you finish that project and enjoy it for a little while. Hope all is well with you.
AllC34Me (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 09:42 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

Wow David, Sparty now the 72 Road Race Replica.

I enjoy your energy and workmanship.

if the joy for you is mostly in the build then wow, your having fun.

what is next in your project list ?

Craig
AllC34Me (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 02:27 PM
70ray
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OH! I follow this thread and just got the message of a "reply" on it and hopped on over here to read this and am dumbfounded, surprised, taken aback... Congratulations, I guess. I'm sure the car is going to someone who appreciates all the amazing work already accomplished. Perhaps the new owner will share pictures here on the forum of the finished dream with all of us who have been following along, and dreaming along with you. Will the new owner be getting our interior parts? We were kinda looking forward to seeing them used in the project. Even planned on coming east to see up close and personal when you showed the car at Carlisle, or wherever. Have enjoyed vicariously sharing in the progress and the frustrations, watching and learning. Thanks again for all the great pictures of the process, and letting all of us travel this adventure road with you. Wishing you all life's best. Onward...
Old 10-01-2018, 02:36 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 70ray
OH! I follow this thread and just got the message of a "reply" on it and hopped on over here to read this and am dumbfounded, surprised, taken aback... Congratulations, I guess. I'm sure the car is going to someone who appreciates all the amazing work already accomplished. Perhaps the new owner will share pictures here on the forum of the finished dream with all of us who have been following along, and dreaming along with you. Will the new owner be getting our interior parts? We were kinda looking forward to seeing them used in the project. Even planned on coming east to see up close and personal when you showed the car at Carlisle, or wherever. Have enjoyed vicariously sharing in the progress and the frustrations, watching and learning. Thanks again for all the great pictures of the process, and letting all of us travel this adventure road with you. Wishing you all life's best. Onward...
Your interior parts are in use. Lower left dash is finished. Upper dash is in. Lower right dash is pending installation. All other panels are being carefully boxed and will be crated and shipped with the car to Germany. With a little luck your interior parts will be spending some time on the Nuremberg Ring, the Autobahn, and participating with the car in some vintage road racing shows in Europe. The new owner has plans for the car and I am excited for him and the car. I took it as far as I could before the body broke down (mine, not the car) so time to pass the baton on to another and let him finish the race.

I hope we can share more pictures in the future and thank you again for your interior panels, they will be used.

Best regards,

David
70ray (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 02:47 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

A few engine bay pictures from this morning just for fun. Lots of engine in this one.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:17 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

David, it has been a pleasure to watch this car build this whole time. Sorry to see it go, but hopefully the new owner finishes the build here and we can see your hard work hit the pavement in Germany! Enjoy retirement in your C7!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:51 PM
chucksingh
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

great work David I will miss this build and your input.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Road Race Replica Ideas Sought

Old 10-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Great builds and thanks for documenting them here. Best of luck in the future and take care of yourself David.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by David Howard
I may have spoken a bit too quickly folks.
I will be back on here soon to give an update but let's just say the Road Race Replica isn't sold or gone yet.
More when I can share more.
David
Wow , I just read up on your build and was going to say congratulations!

Now I guess I can say congratulations! Lol

It sure would be nice to see you complete this , no doubt this is one awesome car !

Ray
Old 10-05-2018, 06:48 AM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

Well thank goodness .... cause I'm just not sure what we would do without this thread to follow! You've become a bit of an inspiration David, lol.

Dave

Quick Reply: 72 Road Race Replica Ideas Sought