C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What got you started on the Corvette addiction? Then and Now Pictures for me.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 10,187 Likes on 1,603 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default What got you started on the Corvette addiction? Then and Now Pictures for me.

I was a Senior in High School ('78) and actually went to the Library and read every article I could on the upcoming Indy 500 Race to be Paced by the 1978 Corvette...it was the Silver leather interior that struck me as amazing. Just a few months later (July 26th 1978) I started selling Corvettes and the rest is history (over 3,500 Sold so far). I have owned 15 Corvettes over the years including ... In no particular order '59, '61, 3 '88s, 2 '92's, '93, '99, 2 '05's, 2 '06's , '14 Z51 and now a '15 Z06 Cpe. Our kids have been pictured in front of many of my 44 Musclecars and 15 Corvettes that I have owned over the years but it still doesn't beat my wife's involvement with Corvette's. Included below are pics of her parents in their 1957 Corvette on Daytona Beach when my Mother in Law was pregnant in 1960 with my wife. Enjoy some of the pictures from years ago and feel free to share pics and stories of what got you started Driving America's #1 Sports Car. 38 yrs of selling Corvettes and the ride has been great, hope you enjoyed what I shared from the past many decades of my Corvette involvement.

~My wife's parents and their 1957 that he bought in 1958 and put 105,000 miles on it in 4 years! He also owned a 61 and a 75 back in the day.

~The Corvette that started my addiction...1978 Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car.

~My first Corvette...1959 Dual carbs.

and then my 61 with dual carbs...

~Our son in the '61...reminds me of his Mothers picture in their '57!

-Our son and daughter on top of my '88 35th Anniv #131.

~My brother and I over 25 years ago in my '59. RIP

~I have had Zora Autographs many times in person back in the day...

~Won several National Corvette Sales Contests which won me trips to Lemans in France.

~Always have had great Corvette inventory to sell from...

~Visited with many Corvette customers

...and they have visited with me for decades...

~Had a Boston Corvette customer invite me to Fenway Park for a Red Sox game and he had my name put on the scoreboard in the middle of the 5th!

and I watched my 1967 442 W-30 go across the Blocks at Barrett Jackson.

~I certainly have kept Plycon Trucking busy over the years..

~Pictured with my 8,000 mile '92.

~ and driving my new 2006 Z06 off the truck with only 1 mile on the odometer.
[URL=http://s420.photobucket.com/user/mfurman7/media/scan0012.jpg.html][URL]https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/c3-general/c3-general/c7-general-discussion/c7-general-discussion/

Met with James Brown...

...and visited the GM Heritage Center.

along with viewing much of GM's private archives!

~Test drove many of the new prototypes for the last 5 Generations.

~and have seen the end of several generations being delivered.

~Seen many iconic Corvettes come and go.

~Hosted many Corvette Clubs, some as far away as Norway.

~Seen many new Corvette announcements...

~and my picture on the Adam's Polishes Gift Box

~Seen many cool Corvette collections both near and far.

~Spent 38 yrs attending Corvettes at Carlisle.

...and attended Bloomington Gold a few times.

...and met with the men of Callaway many times...

~Even delivered a New '15 Stingray Z51 on a Bravo TV Show to some reality stars.

~Delivered a ton of Special Signature editions...

...and watched as Eddie Murphy took delivery of 10 Corvettes for he and his entourage.

~Been inside the Corvette Plant and Museum many times.

...and set up Hundreds of Corvette Museum deliveries for my Customers...but never my own, YET ...even though I am a Lifetime Member and an Ambassador for the Museum!

~Will some day own a '63 Split Window...are you listening GM???

~I currently own this 2015 Z06 Cpe in Laguna Blue.

~and I still get a thrill with each and every Corvette delivery!

~That's my trip down Memory Lane. Save the Wave!

Mike Furman
Criswell Chevrolet
Gaithersburg, MD
www.corvettefurman.com
301-212-4420

Last edited by Mike Furman@Criswell; 09-13-2015 at 02:40 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mike Furman@Criswell:
Dean_Fuller (09-14-2015), oldgto (09-13-2015), plasboy (09-16-2015), yfz450 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 02:07 PM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I think it was that trip from Palm Springs to LA in the back of a split window. I will always love Corvettes and if I ever have enough money to afford a new one I would want to buy it from a someone with as much enthusiasm for the bred as yourself. Nice collection of pictures, thank you for sharing. Mike
The following users liked this post:
Mike Furman@Criswell (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 02:09 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Good times!

Old 09-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default www.corvettefurman.com ~ 301-212-4420 ~ Mike Furman

Originally Posted by mike48750
I think it was that trip from Palm Springs to LA in the back of a split window. I will always love Corvettes and if I ever have enough money to afford a new one I would want to buy it from a someone with as much enthusiasm for the bred as yourself. Nice collection of pictures, thank you for sharing. Mike
Thats very cool!!

Mike Furman
www.corvettefurman.com

Old 09-15-2015, 07:25 AM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

I see many more Corvettes in everyone's future. I was 26 in the picture below, circa 1986.

Mike Furman

Old 09-15-2015, 08:13 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

I was always a car enthusiast. I was born with the "car gene" in my makeup, but watching the TV show 'Route 66', and having a neighbor who owned a Corvette, sparked my initial interest. Also, my father was "well connected" at one of the local Chevy dealers back then (early 60s), and the sales manager got us on the 'Corvette News' mailing list, even though we didn't have a Corvette.

In my late 20s, I started dating a young lady who owned a '76 Corvette at the time, with a '78 on order. The '78 didn't materialize, due to a SNAFU when the Indy Pace Cars were rushed into production, but she did get a '79.

We broke up for a while, after she got the '79, then got back together (and married) several years later. She kept the '79 until 1997, and I got my '01 in July of '01....
Mike Furman@Criswell (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default Www.corvettefurman.com

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I was always a car enthusiast. I was born with the "car gene" in my makeup, but watching the TV show 'Route 66', and having a neighbor who owned a Corvette, sparked my initial interest. Also, my father was "well connected" at one of the local Chevy dealers back then (early 60s), and the sales manager got us on the 'Corvette News' mailing list, even though we didn't have a Corvette.

In my late 20s, I started dating a young lady who owned a '76 Corvette at the time, with a '78 on order. The '78 didn't materialize, due to a SNAFU when the Indy Pace Cars were rushed into production, but she did get a '79.

We broke up for a while, after she got the '79, then got back together (and married) several years later. She kept the '79 until 1997, and I got my '01 in July of '01....
What a great story! You got the girl and the Corvette...couldn't have asked for a better ending...or should I say a beginning.

Mike Furman
Www.corvettefurman.com

Last edited by Mike Furman@Criswell; 09-16-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Great story and thanks for posting all the great pics!!

I can still remember seeing my first Vette when I was 9 years old. I was hooked though I only bought my first Vette about 15 years ago.
Mike Furman@Criswell (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by Doughan
Great story and thanks for posting all the great pics!!

I can still remember seeing my first Vette when I was 9 years old. I was hooked though I only bought my first Vette about 15 years ago.
There is nothing like that first time!

Mike Furman

Last edited by Mike Furman@Criswell; 09-16-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:48 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

I grew up watching my dad race his '68 around the state and have many memories of riding in the back of his '82 CE with my sister. When we got too big for that, he found a '75 vert that was made into a CE car so that each parent could drive a kid around. They were quite the pair of cars going down the road together. Time went by and dad ended up with lots of medical problems and all the cars ended up sitting. He passed away new years day 2013 and I inherited his '68. It is quite a project to be taking on.

Attachment 48365897

Well after finally getting the '68 to my house to work on, I decided that it was going to be too long until I was behind the wheel of a c3. Since I can't end up with all of dad's corvettes, I ended up finding a '75 coupe whose previous owner ended up going off roading in after a close call with a tractor. It took some damage and has had 40 years of previous owners doing typically Bubba repairs. It's another project, but not as extensive or expensive. The really cool part was finding the build sheet and finding out I live about a mile from the original dealership that sold the car.

Attachment 48365898

I can honestly say that corvette is in my blood.
Mike Furman@Criswell (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 05:54 AM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by chazde3
I grew up watching my dad race his '68 around the state and have many memories of riding in the back of his '82 CE with my sister. When we got too big for that, he found a '75 vert that was made into a CE car so that each parent could drive a kid around. They were quite the pair of cars going down the road together. Time went by and dad ended up with lots of medical problems and all the cars ended up sitting. He passed away new years day 2013 and I inherited his '68. It is quite a project to be taking on.

Well after finally getting the '68 to my house to work on, I decided that it was going to be too long until I was behind the wheel of a c3. Since I can't end up with all of dad's corvettes, I ended up finding a '75 coupe whose previous owner ended up going off roading in after a close call with a tractor. It took some damage and has had 40 years of previous owners doing typically Bubba repairs. It's another project, but not as extensive or expensive. The really cool part was finding the build sheet and finding out I live about a mile from the original dealership that sold the car.

I can honestly say that corvette is in my blood.
You are very fortunate that you had your Father show you the way. Thanks for sharing!

Mike Furman
www.corvettefurman.com

Old 09-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I always wanted one from my early years but the family and later personal bank accounts said no. There simply was not enough money to go beyond daily drivers. In the mid-1980s I bit the bullet, took out a bank loan, and purchased a 1979 L-82. It needed a lot of work but was driveable and it was MINE. The pic is probably 30-years-old. Note the (then) trendy Western Cyclone II turbine wheels, Eckler's spinners, and LeBra. I was on top of the world!

That car is still on the road today. I currently drive the 1974.

Last edited by Paul L; 09-16-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell

St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default www.corvettefurman.com

Originally Posted by paul 74
I always wanted one from my early years but the family and later personal bank accounts said no. There simply was not enough money to go beyond daily drivers. In the mid-1980s I bit the bullet, took out a bank loan, and purchased a 1979 L-82. It needed a lot of work but was driveable and it was MINE. The pic is probably 30-years-old. Note the (then) trendy Western Cyclone II turbine wheels, Eckler's spinners, and LeBra. I was on top of the world!
Thank you so much for sharing. Great pics and stories.

Mike Furman
www.corvettefurman.com
Old 09-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike@Criswell
Thank you so much for sharing. Great pics and stories.

Mike Furman
www.corvettefurman.com
Your pics were fantastic! Between the C3s I managed to squeeze in this little jewel for six years.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:41 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the great pics and story. Great pics.

I have always admired Corvettes, for as long as I can remember. I had an R/C C3 when I was litle. A High School friend of mine's mom had an '87. New at the time, I got to ride in the back, usually. Got my first Corvette in January of this year, and still get giddy when I see it in my driveway.

Last edited by COOLTED; 09-16-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:58 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

I got my first Corvette when I was a senior in high school. It was a 1960, Sebring silver with silver blue coves and black interior. Not original by far but was tons of fun. I wasn't a real Corvette nut at that point but did think they were cool. Also looked at a 63 coupe at the same time but bought the 60. This was in 1972.
Kept that car through college then sold it for more practical transportation.

Fast forward to 1990 and met my now wife, not my first, and she had a 1979 silver over oyster L48 coupe. She is the original owner and the car is now undergoing a body on restoration as it had been used as a daily driver for several years. She and her ex had several Corvettes over the years including a 67 big block that got stolen in StLouis six months after they got it.

We got in the position financially a few years later and bought a 99 Torch Red coupe and traded that for a 2001 coupe which is the same color and we picked up at the museum. We still have this car and earlier this year bought a Torch Red over Adrenelin Z06 coupe.

We thus now own three and are lifetime members of the museum.

I never thought I'd be in the position to own three but we are pretty much Corvette nuts now. What a ride.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:10 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

EXCELLENT pictures Mike! Thanks for posting! For me, it started when I was 13 years old, and the new shark body "Hot Wheels" hit the shelf.

That was the coolest thing I`d ever seen! I was ALWAYS into cars, and grew up with several, but couldn`t afford the one I really wanted.
Fast forward 15 years.... met a girl, got married, had a house full of kids. She loved the old cars too, and together we built several over the next 30 years. But with all those kids, (we had 6 boys), we always needed a back seat, so a Corvette was out.
Well, now, the boys are mostly all grown up, and we are nearing retirement. So the wife found this....

...and convinced me we could do this. "We`ve built worse cars than this... it will be fun....it will be our retirement toy" she said.
So we dragged it home....

...and bought a front clip....

...and we`ve been working on it ever since, about 2 years. We still have a long way to go,but so far it looks like this....

We really have to thank the members of this forum, and the guys at Willcox Corvette... for all the help, pictures, parts, and tech advice that has been so crucial to us getting this thing together so far.
Retirement in a couple years is going to be a BLAST!

Get notified of new replies

To What got you started on the Corvette addiction? Then and Now Pictures for me.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

oldgto,
Fantastic work. I wish I had those skills!
Old 09-16-2015, 06:52 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Criswell
What a great story! You got the girl and the Corvette...couldn't have asked for a better ending...or should I say a beginning.

Mike Furman
Www.corvettefurman.com

Indeed!!

Originally Posted by paul 74

That car is still on the road today. I currently drive the 1974.

Those wheel look just fine!!

Last edited by leadfoot4; 09-16-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Mike,
There is a long story behind those spinners and cones. They were produced by a Mom and Pop machine shop in California for Eckler's. I needed some spare parts and corresponded with them...wait for it...by postal mail. They came through with what I needed. Wow, that is a long time ago and I can't find paper records of that correspondence. But in the 1980s those wheels sure did look nice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What got you started on the Corvette addiction? Then and Now Pictures for me.