Sponsored by:

Front spoiler/air dam missing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:15 PM
InfidelCorvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front spoiler/air dam missing

Pretty straight forward. I am missing the front spoiler/air dam.

I am wondering what is the BEST replacment for it? I have several holes in my front where one used to be. No idea how or why it is missing. I like the one that looks the fullest. Hard to explain.

I find some one sites, but all look kinda different. Some wicked thin, some are hard to tell how exactly they mount.

Mine is a 1977. Actually here is a picture of the front I am looking for. Mine is missing completely and looks like the Planet Express ship.

This is the one I want.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:45 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I believe the stock one was the smaller, thinner, plastic one. It was called an "air dam"....
the bigger one (in the picture you posted) was a pace car type spoiler, made of fiberglass.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:08 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
I believe the stock one was the smaller, thinner, plastic one. It was called an "air dam"....
the bigger one (in the picture you posted) was a pace car type spoiler, made of fiberglass.
The spoiler pictured is the 78 Pace Car spoiler. That only came on the 6500 78 Pace Cars, and as an option on some 79 Corvettes. In 79 it was part of a package that included the rear spoiler also.

The GM spoilers were made out of urethane, just like the bumpers. The aftermarket versions, of the Pace Car spoilers are made from fiberglass though.

77's came with small black plastic spoiler, that only ran under the nose, and not up the sides of the fenders. When installed, only about 1 to 2 inches of the spoiler can be seen under the car.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:00 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It is important to have some kind of air dam in place. That re-directs airflow up and into the radiator when at speed. Without it, the cooling system can't really do a good job.

You can put whatever you want under there. You only NEED the flexible, small black plastic air dam that came on the '77 cars. If you want the solid fiberglass gizmo for glitz, go for it. But, watch out for the speed bumps and the concrete parking bumpers....
Old 09-30-2015, 04:48 AM
InfidelCorvette
Intermediate

The 78+ pace car spoiler will fit the 77 correct? My understanding is it should be the same fitment. Without having to change the nose, left rear tire, and cigarette lighter.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:05 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by InfidelCorvette
The 78+ pace car spoiler will fit the 77 correct? My understanding is it should be the same fitment. Without having to change the nose, left rear tire, and cigarette lighter.
It will fit your 77, but holes have to be drilled for the pace car mounting around the front wells. Also there have been some not-so-smooth installs when it comes to alignment / gaps. Expect some tweaking and perfecting.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:30 AM
InfidelCorvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
It will fit your 77, but holes have to be drilled for the pace car mounting around the front wells. Also there have been some not-so-smooth installs when it comes to alignment / gaps. Expect some tweaking and perfecting.
That's where the 6 Ps come into play. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:31 AM
InfidelCorvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The spoiler pictured is the 78 Pace Car spoiler. That only came on the 6500 78 Pace Cars, and as an option on some 79 Corvettes. In 79 it was part of a package that included the rear spoiler also.

The GM spoilers were made out of urethane, just like the bumpers. The aftermarket versions, of the Pace Car spoilers are made from fiberglass though.

77's came with small black plastic spoiler, that only ran under the nose, and not up the sides of the fenders. When installed, only about 1 to 2 inches of the spoiler can be seen under the car.
Just the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:38 PM
outlawkinser
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '74 with a '78 Pace Car spoiler. The spoiler is GM; I bought it through the parts dept of the local Chevy dealer in 1978.

This photo was taken back in the summer of 78.

Today. Taken at our 50th Wedding Anniversary.

Mike
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by outlawkinser
My '74 with a '78 Pace Car spoiler. The spoiler is GM; I bought it through the parts dept of the local Chevy dealer in 1978.

This photo was taken back in the summer of 78.

Today. Taken at our 50th Wedding Anniversary.

Mike
congrats wife and I celebrated our 55 this year.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Congratulations on the 50th. Quite an accomplishment!! Somehow those wheels look familiar...

Old 09-30-2015, 09:29 PM
outlawkinser
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Congratulations on the 50th. Quite an accomplishment!! Somehow those wheels look familiar...

Thanks Paul. Those Western Cyclone rims were pretty popular back in the day........
Old 02-27-2019, 11:15 AM
Philgran
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front spoiler/ air dam missing

There are aftermarket eurethane front Indy spoilers. One of the Forum sponsors sells one. The advantage, as I understand it , is weight in the nose. As someone said earlier, the aftermarket ones don’t sometimes fit perfectly so try the fitment before you paint it. There is a response to an earlier thread I posted that describes a fix one of the members came up with to draw it into the body for a tight fit.

Get notified of new replies

To Front spoiler/air dam missing

Quick Reply: Front spoiler/air dam missing