C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it hurt the value changing out an original L-48 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:20 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It is to be expected that responses from the Corvette Forum members would lean strongly toward being 'original'; most folks here find value in that.

But, if you are planning on selling your car in the future, you have to consider the ENTIRE buyer base. And, the fact is, that the VAST majority of folks who might be interested in owning a C3 really don't care that they are 'original'. They are looking for a fun car with great style and appearance, a car that is RELIABLE and is relatively simple to operate.

Now, the original hardware. including engine and transmission can do well with the first two of the items in that list IF the car has been kept in good repair and had good maintenance. However, that third item in the list is more difficult for the original powertrain to meet. And more and more first-time C3 buyers are looking for cars that function like a modern car...one with electronic engine management, fuel injection, and electronically controlled transmission. They LIKE the resto-mod cars and will pay MORE for them than for an original--but not really collectible--vintage car.

As hard as that may be to swallow here on the CF, that's the way it is and that demand is only going to grow.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:42 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Buy the crate...

Smoke 'em up every now and then...

Enjoy.

Carl

Originally Posted by Bikersully
I have an all original 1972 Corvette with an L-48. Looking for more power. I know the engine has been rebuilt once before. I would like to buy one of the new Chevy ZZ6 crate motors and be done with it. If it was an LT1 I would keep it original, but since it is an l-48....
Opinions?
Old 10-14-2015, 10:36 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
It is to be expected that responses from the Corvette Forum members would lean strongly toward being 'original'; most folks here find value in that.

But, if you are planning on selling your car in the future, you have to consider the ENTIRE buyer base. And, the fact is, that the VAST majority of folks who might be interested in owning a C3 really don't care that they are 'original'. They are looking for a fun car with great style and appearance, a car that is RELIABLE and is relatively simple to operate.

Now, the original hardware. including engine and transmission can do well with the first two of the items in that list IF the car has been kept in good repair and had good maintenance. However, that third item in the list is more difficult for the original powertrain to meet. And more and more first-time C3 buyers are looking for cars that function like a modern car...one with electronic engine management, fuel injection, and electronically controlled transmission. They LIKE the resto-mod cars and will pay MORE for them than for an original--but not really collectible--vintage car.

As hard as that may be to swallow here on the CF, that's the way it is and that demand is only going to grow.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

First off, cars like my 74 L48 convertible were unbelievable pigs in the performance arena, and frankly, an embarrassment to the skin that surrounded the Ralph Nader 195 hp engine in the first place.

This alone makes collectability shall we say "not so much" in the first place. Now had it been a rare 370 hp small block or a 427 I probably wouldn't have stuffed an LS3 between the fenders. But since I wanted a car to drive and not a trailer queen, this swap just made sense, and now that it's done there are NO regrets here. I have a C3 that Chevrolet could have only dreamed about in 1974.

In closing, to each their own. Either way, having a 36/24/36 car is a dream come true for me!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:44 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I dont know, while I agree that you will be appealing to a larger market I still believe that the people looking for a very original car are going to pay more than the people who are less concerned about that type of thing.
Perhaps if we were talking about a rubber bumper car I'd be more inclined to agree with you but this being a chrome bumper car I'm not so sure.
And as far as reliability goes, its hard to beat a low performance SBC with a Qjet.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:49 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Answer the OP question , if the car is not very good condition to,begin with , needs paint , interior , Mechnical build .....no matter which way you go , it's going to be a hobby ...money pit..The expense to make a beautiful corvette like show room new with either motor is going to be a losing proposition far as resale for a base car , even a C2 you'd be luck to break even with a automatic base car. The chances are pretty good you ll not get the money out you put in. Especially with C 3 .

So .....make it what YOU desire ......what will make you happy ...it's going to be lost money either way with a base car in 99 % . Top flight gold cars and such......given there is always exceptions . But they are rare and don't apply to,what you say n here .

No one would tear up a gold judged car either ....to make a hot rod .....

People should follow the direction that makes them happy .

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 10-15-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Patro46
First off, cars like my 74 L48 convertible were unbelievable pigs in the performance arena, and frankly, an embarrassment to the skin that surrounded the Ralph Nader 195 hp engine in the first place.

This alone makes collectability shall we say "not so much" in the first place. Now had it been a rare 370 hp small block or a 427 I probably wouldn't have stuffed an LS3 between the fenders. But since I wanted a car to drive and not a trailer queen, this swap just made sense, and now that it's done there are NO regrets here. I have a C3 that Chevrolet could have only dreamed about in 1974.

In closing, to each their own. Either way, having a 36/24/36 car is a dream come true for me!

Very well said and I want to add your car is stunning!

Contrary to what some people here mistakenly believe original is not what most people here lean to, like some I never like to speak for others and posted a little poll, last I looked over 70% were for modded of some type and feedback in the thread shows the popular mods after wheels and tires are engines, of course not too many would turn down a factory 427 435 or some LT-1 if SB fan but 190 hp is a red facer when it sinks in that kid in a stock saturn can spank you badly in your plastic fantastic, a vette is somewhat heavy with some drivers really heavy 190 doesnt even move the car well for cruising.
I wish people would stop building "their" dream car on some other guys ideas and permissions and not have to settle for fear that adding a respectable for a vette engine will knock a few dollars off a with all due respects lower value base model.
As time passes I see mods like this adding value.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:17 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I been a car lover/hotrodder for some 60 years now, ever since a certain '49 Ford moved into my burb outside Wash DC, and I started hanging with motor heads.....

Some 30 years ago a neighbor buddy had a ~35 Ford rumble seat convertible.....he restored it to perfect condition, and paid like 13 grand for the car, sold it with V8 Ford club show winning certs....for l~15 grand......I was saying during all those years, that he be better off making a STEEL bodied hotrod out of it......sure enough a car like I suggested would bring some 50 grand....why?? all the guys who wanted one as a stock machine died off or didn't care one way or another anymore......the HOT RODDERS wanted it modified.....

same thing on these old vettes......especially in the '75/older convertibles....WHY expect anything else??? markets change, only so many museums to buy this.....only ONE NCM......

Old 10-20-2015, 08:25 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Considering the cost of a crate engine, it would be less expensive to have the original engine rebuilt with HP parts. The numbers would match and it's easy and cheap to get 350HP out of a sbc.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:58 PM
heirloomvette73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to Zombify an old thread here- interestingly enough it was being composed while I was enjoying my (dads) new (to me) 1973 Stingray. I'm on the fence about turning the original L-48 into a 383 stroker. On one hand, easy to do and "fixes" the lack luster performance that, although did well for '73, really leaves me chagrined.

Dad used to talk about wanting to put side pipes on, getting it painted with white forky flames that tastefully cover naked ladies. (Since dad isn't here anymore we all argue if that last part was serious or not). On the other hand he bought a rebuilt Q-jet and period power assist (steering). I'm not sure what he would have done- probably just left it alone because it was too much money and effort to change anything.

Aside from what Dad would have wanted, I suppose I also can't figure out if I'd rather be a purist or a modifier. My brand new wife is sitting next to me sighing because she's heard me mull this over more than any wife should. I like purist because it's amazing the car is this old and virtually unchanged. I like modifying because I can finally turn her into a superb muscle machine, such that the looks and abilities are better rectified with one another.

I'm looking at trying to buy another corvette engine that needs a home, so I hope a happy medium is modifying the crap out of a lonely block and leaving Dad's original in tact. Of course that means more money.

At the end of the day I am really tempted to just stroke Dad's. If I were to live to be 80 (another 50 years) and put 2000 miles on it every summer, Dad's block would probably still be going strong.

Any of you deal with that sentimental value issue? He's only been gone a little over a year, so I wonder if that might fade.

Quick Reply: Does it hurt the value changing out an original L-48 motor?