Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Plastic Pig

Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Alan, Sir, since you seem to be sticking with me, could you be more specific? I'm going to be in this project for pretty serious money, but looking at it from the 80/20 point of view, to bring this car to 'as new', 'show quality' isn't realistically in the cards. On the other hand, I will not do anything that cannot be 'corrected' with a wrench.

Specific questions:
  • Poly bushings. This seems a harmless improvement to me. What am I missing?
  • Adjustable strut rods. Same thing.
  • Rack and pinion steering. Pie in the sky, not likely, but if it's just a wrench job...

Still chasing parts - they have a way of migrating into obscure places over 30 years and one move (that's the one that scares me).

Recommendations for a chrome shop in the Mass area? I need to get the rear bumpers redone.

Thank you! Ed
Old 11-09-2015, 07:45 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

I love the Plastic Pig!

Keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
Dirty Dalton (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Ed,
I raised the point again because as I've said 70, LT-!, convertibles are very special cars…. certainly one of the few VERY special cars in the 70-72 group; the group that I'm most interested in.
I'd rather see the car start on the road going back towards what it once was originally rather than go even a little bit further down the road of modifications.
While I agree that the 3 items you list are relatively easily reversible, I don't see that there's much gain in doing them unless you're going to be asking more from the suspension and handling now than you have since 1975.
I fully realize it's right for you to do what ever you'd like!
Regards,
Alan

I'd make a small wager that you'll wish you hadn't done the poly bushings because they tend to squeak, and the adjustable strut rods won't get re-adjusted after you have the rear suspension aligned for the first time.

Added after re-reading the post… You can really ignore all of the above because it's all just my opinion!

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-09-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Dirty Dalton (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Ed,
I raised the point again because as I've said 70, LT-!, convertibles are very special cars…. certainly one of the few VERY special cars in the 70-72 group; the group that I'm most interested in.
I'd rather see the car start on the road going back towards what it once was originally rather than go even a little bit further down the road of modifications.

I'd make a small wager that you'll wish you hadn't done the poly bushings because they tend to squeak, and the adjustable strut rods won't get re-adjusted after you have the rear suspension aligned for the first time.

Thank you, Alan, I'll get Danny's opinion. I appreciate your comments.

But (there's always a but) do you really think I'll hear the squeaking.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Default Parts and more parts

Well the parts keep on trickling in. Yesterday, while talking with my daughter, I noted the wiper door, wrapped in a towel, sitting on top of the paint cabinet. I might have looked for that for days. Today I hit the mother-lode:

I even found the item I thought might have been lost in a move. I’m pretty certain that only thing left to find are the seatbelts. They hung for years in the basement, until pronounced ‘in the way’. They are somewhere, in a box…

Also, not shown, are the rear bumpers – they need to be rechromed – I’m looking for recommendations.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Alan, Sir, breath easy. While it won't be 'original', I've been convinced of the error of my ways. I am, however, going to repower it with the engine from a Chevy II I pulled out of a junk yard.

Pictures from the Beauty Parlor:

Bumpers

Double wrapped in bubble pack, with cardboard doublers on the ends.

Jam packed with peanuts.

Taped, and retaped. No rattles within. Shipped this morning to Librandi, expected for delivery Wednesday. Librandi is running 8 to 10 weeks.

Now off to deliver more parts to the Beauty Parlor.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:54 PM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Found it

That is certainly worthy of investing some of your daughters inheritance on and I'm sure she won't mind as long as she gets to borrow it now and then..

Blue was my first choice, but I just couldn't find one in the condition I wanted.

Good luck with the Plastic pig.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Ed,
Lot's of the parts in those pictures are the ones that can be quite difficult/costly to replace…. like that small fender trim piece laying in the rear compartment.
Is the rear valance laying in the passenger's side actually broken in 2 pieces or does it just look like it?
I see the flasher unit/condenser and a door ajar jamb switch laying there too….hang on to ALL the small parts and fasteners because if they disappear that's what's going to drive you wacko when you start to reassemble this car!
NICE T-Bird in that picture!
Continued good luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Ed,
Is the rear valance laying in the passenger's side actually broken in 2 pieces or does it just look like it?
Continued good luck!
Regards,
Alan
Thank you.

No, it's all of a piece.

Small parts - I really hope I have them all, although if I'd known when I started this project that it would take 30 years vs the planned 3 months, I'd have labeled things better. But, it even surpasses my Father's rule of estimating. "Make a good faith estimate. Double it. Go to the next highest unit."

Also, that Cadillac. The plating was done by Librandi.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Delivered more parts to the Beauty Parlor today.

The Plastic Pig is next in line. (That's the boss.)

Anybody recognize this?

And you've seen this already, but before it was in 'primer gray' (with a nod to Cheech and Chong).
Old 11-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Another run to the beauty parlor. Something new.

The white Corvette several pictures up is being painted. No status photos on that; that means that bay will be open 'fairly' soon, and The Plastic Pig will be the next occupant.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:24 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Sounds like it's time has come. Enjoy it! Will be following!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Things take time...

But here we are at the Beauty Parlor:

A little mousie activity...

And, the big bummer...

That's the build sheet...
RobWilson (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

Ed,

Thanks for the update. I've enjoyed following your progress.
Bummer on the tank sticker.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Great car, btw whats the story of the Pontiac Formula?

(I got a soft spot for Pontiacs)
Old 07-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Originally Posted by Snoopysvet
Great car, btw whats the story of the Pontiac Formula?

(I got a soft spot for Pontiacs)
Insane Diego, as my good friend Dave called his adopted hometown.

The Pontiac... Something like this, the 'then' owner, for reasons I don't remember, sold the car quite a few years ago, and the buyer kept it in his garage, and never got around to it. The 'then owner' kept pestering the current owner, attempting to repurchase it. This was all in vain for quite a few years. Then one day, a miracle occurred, the current owner called the 'then' owner and asked if he was still interested in buying his car back.

So, now it's back at The Beauty Parlor, awaiting its turn. It likely will be going into storage for a bit as the place is crazy busy.

Thank you for your interest. I have photos of new developments, maybe I'll get to do them tomorrow, crazy busy.

Last edited by Dirty Dalton; 08-13-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:32 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobWilson
Ed,

Thanks for the update. I've enjoyed following your progress.
Bummer on the tank sticker.
You're welcome, and a major understatement! I couldn't believe it.

Get notified of new replies

To My Plastic Pig

Old 07-30-2016, 08:39 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Default Decided to add some ground clearance!

Check it out!

Gonna be great off road!
Old 07-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Photos from recent trip to the Beauty Parlor

Never know what your going to see there.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:38 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Harrow
Alan, Sir, since you seem to be sticking with me, could you be more specific? I'm going to be in this project for pretty serious money, but looking at it from the 80/20 point of view, to bring this car to 'as new', 'show quality' isn't realistically in the cards. On the other hand, I will not do anything that cannot be 'corrected' with a wrench.

Specific questions:
  • Poly bushings. This seems a harmless improvement to me. What am I missing?
  • Adjustable strut rods. Same thing.
  • Rack and pinion steering. Pie in the sky, not likely, but if it's just a wrench job...

Still chasing parts - they have a way of migrating into obscure places over 30 years and one move (that's the one that scares me).

Recommendations for a chrome shop in the Mass area? I need to get the rear bumpers redone.

Thank you! Ed
If you have the original engine, you are miles ahead of many in the keeping it stock side. Of course you have to consider your situation. Will you ever sell it? Will you ever need to sell it?

The more original, the better the numbers will be unless you go hog wild on a resto mod with all the goodies like modern chassis and suspension, LS-? engine, etc. That doesn't entail opening your wallet; that entails selling your house for many.

The poly bushing were all the rage in the late '70s and early '80s since C3s were the current and modern Corvette and were driven to the limits on the street at the time. They raced them, they drove them hard, and they wanted maximum performance. Forget about the penalties that came in the harsh ride. Most on here, and odds are you, too, were in your twenties or early thirties and tolerated a completely different ride characteristic than you do today.

If you aren't riding a sport bike, driving a '60s Chevy pickup truck, and have a '50s Chevy for your daily driver, then odds are you are going to dislike the poly bushings in your Corvette. They can be replaced, but it is a work-intense effort, not just a Saturday morning wrench turning.

Adjustable strut rods - harmless, will change things a bit, but probably not noticeable on the street. Still, those are a Saturday morning wrench-turning if you don't like them. They will allow better alignment of the rear. Go for them if you want.

Rack and pinion steering - you are probably going to like the feel MUCH better, but it is going to be tough going back and any potential buyer is going to consider that. The performance enhancement you get will probably be good, but any C4 out there will blow yours away in handling and with no modification to it. The C5 and C6 even more so.

If you are road racing or autocrossing your car, then maybe you want to do this. For the street and leaving it for your daughter or the strategic sale if worse comes to worse, then you won't be getting much out of the effort. It may even hurt the number of people interested in buying.

Hope that gives you some food for thought.
ElmrPhD (01-26-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Plastic Pig