Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for a C3, have a few questions

Old 10-30-2015, 09:06 AM
mjfrank
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Shopping for a C3, have a few questions

I'm deep into trying to find my first C3 before the weather completely goes to crap around here, but not having much luck. I came across an ad on craigslist that is definitely of interest, just a little farther away than I was hoping. (I'm in St. Louis)
http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/5237631457.html
I'm really only asking this in case I run these things on a car I'm really interested in, and is a few hours closer. I'm seeing from the pictures that the VIN on the VIN plate and the VIN on the door sticker don't match. The VIN plate correctly identifies this as a convertible (194679S), but the door sticker says it's a coupe.(194379S) Is this a common occurence, or is that a sign that something is suspicious? The sequence numbers all match. I haven't contacted the seller, so I'm just going off what is in the ad.

One other question that I have on modified cars like this that have some sort of flare kit installed, were they installed over the original fenders, or would the whole front clip have been replaced? I noticed that this car also has 73+ style front fender vents instead of the original gills, so I'm inclined to think that the whole fender was replaced. I'd probably be okay with that look if it wouldn't be too expensive to eventually return it to a stock look, but if it means replacing every body panel, then that would probably be a bit more that I'd want to step into, especially at that price.

Which brings me to my last question, I'm looking for a 68-72 convertible, running/driving condition, that is maybe a bit cosmetically challenged. I'm a little soft on the running/driving part if it was a great car with a solid frame and birdcage, and would be just mechanical work to get it on the road again, as I'm fairly handy in the garage. So I've got ~16K ready to hand over to someone for the right car, but is that amount going to get me what I'm looking for? In other words, am I being realistic in thinking that I can find a car for that? I have access to more money, but that would be dipping into the reserve that I was keeping to do the inevitable repairs and updates that will be required with a car this old.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
--Mike
Old 10-30-2015, 09:45 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 597 Likes on 485 Posts

All the cars I looked at didn't even have the door sticker because of repaints.

I looks like the whole nose was replaced with an aftermarket unit. It even has a built on air deflector. Replacing it won't be cheap.

The back half is also not a 69 so someone replaced a lot of fiberglass. Nice to see they kept the Riverside Gold though.

Don't settle but if you are ok with the changes and the price is right at least go take a look.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:02 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mjfrank
I'm looking for a 68-72 convertible, running/driving condition, that is maybe a bit cosmetically challenged.
--Mike

Looks like you have found your car... its a bit all over the place with the various fiberglass pieces and the wheels from a '78... but you said cosmetically challenged and the owner is going out of his way to show you the dings and booboos in the paint. Also the seller intentionally took pictures of the engine running... Notice the puddle of water by the rear wheel in one of the pics - just gave it a bath before picture time.

I bet your $16k would get it done against his OBO.

To satisfy your pre-purchase buyers remorse - go look at the other available C3's of any year in your area and then when you go see the convertible you will have a sense of whether it is in satisfactory shape or not.

Go to the local cars and coffee car show in your area Saturday morning to see loved C3's - again - so you know what you are getting into.

Post pics when you bring it home...

Carl

Last edited by Carl in LA; 10-30-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:58 AM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Are you a body guy? Can you paint and repair fiberglass ? If not, you're looking at 5k for a paint job. That's 21k into a modified car. You have to assume some level of suspension work will have to be done, since no mention was made to that in his ad. If everything on suspension is redone, you're looking at another 3.5k. If you do the disassembly and reassembly. Now up to 24.5k. For that kind of money, there are some nice small block convertibles out there . That car will still be on the market in the spring, it's not selling for 19k. Save his number and use the winter to keep looking. Isn't there a Mecum auction in Kansas City? They always seem to have some nice looking C3' s.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:22 PM
mjfrank
Advanced

So just to be clear, I am only very mildly interested in this car and was looking for some opinions about the body work and vin. I was hesitant on it just due to the body mods, as I'm really looking for something pretty stock. My suspicions were that reversing these mods would be expensive, which have been confirmed here. And to answer your question, no I'm not a body or paint guy, I could do some minor prep work and repairs, but nothing of this magnitude.

I'll definitely keep looking, as I have seen much nicer cars closer to me for the same money just a few months ago. I do agree with the idea of just taking a look at some cars local to me first. I'd really like to find something close or at least just a couple hours away. It's a pretty slim selection in my immediate vicinity right now, so this may not happen till spring anyways. I'll see if I can find a local corvette club and maybe visit one of there meet ups.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 10-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I was looking for just about the same vette except I only wanted a coupe....It took me 4 months. My biggest concern was RUST....I passed on more than one that looked better than the one I bought but I don't have rust issues to deal with. My budget was also in-line with yours.

If you want a stock look I would pass on this one as others have advised. Taking those flares off and going back stock correctly could get real expensive.

Brian
Old 10-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Rcdizy
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

$16000 is $20000 CAD

You should be able to find a good car for that.

Take the $16000 and add the extra money you have for "inevitable repairs and updates that will be required"
And get a nice mint car, that doesn't need much work.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...The VIN plate correctly identifies this as a convertible (194679S), but the door sticker says it's a coupe.(194379S) Is this a common occurrence...
No.

...or is that a sign that something is suspicious?...
Not necessarily. Could be a simple typo error. Let's face it, the 3 is next to the 4 on the keyboard.

Should not be a deal breaker.

Good luck.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-30-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:45 PM
mjfrank
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rcdizy
$16000 is $20000 CAD

You should be able to find a good car for that.

Take the $16000 and add the extra money you have for "inevitable repairs and updates that will be required"
And get a nice mint car, that doesn't need much work.
Yep, that's definitely crossed my mind, that or give up on a vert and find a nice coupe, which is what I started out looking for. I have a friend that also might be working on getting a convertible right now, so the jealously bug kinda set in. Plus my wife really likes the convertibles too, which is an important factor, since she can't really understand why I would want such an old car in the first place. She originally told me to sell my DD and buy a brand new one.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:03 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default typo in VIN

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
No.

Not necessarily. Could be a simple typo error. Let's face it, the 3 is next to the 4 on the keyboard.

Should not be a deal breaker.

Good luck.
The VIN on my 68 has the "S" typed as a "5" on the title. Will get it fixed when they hire some different people at the DMV.
RA
Old 10-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

She originally told me to sell my DD and buy a brand new one.
C7's are incredible cars... Watch the How Its Made - Dream Cars episode to see how from the frame out its state of the art.

Last edited by Carl in LA; 10-30-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Shopping for a C3, have a few questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shopping for a C3, have a few questions