C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one to choose: 1978 Pace Replica or 1982 Collector Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:33 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Corto
Thank you all for your replies, especially for the explanations.

Currently for me, the PC with the such color combination has much more attractive appearance than the CE. But the front and rear spoilers on the CE look better as they are integrated in the body line.
The interior of the PC is "dry" (not to say boring), the CE is just a bit better with the colored details.
On the technical side, not sure if the CE has so much advantages, 700r4 is ok, but not really relevant for me as I would not make lot of miles. Lift rear glass, nice but not a tie breaker. CFI, rather disadvantage for CE. I have not gone through all info sources about CFI, but I percive it as more complicated to run and maintain, and less flexible for any change, where the Q-jet at PC is very well known technique done in (probably) million+ pieces.
What is also important to me is the fact that the PS is a real limited edition. Even as the similar numbers of both of them have been built, the PC were not available for all who would like to buy it, and the CE were.
As the major purpose of this question is to get a kind of public opinion of the relevant people (and this forum is the most relevant place for that), and as I am still quite new in the corvette world I am still making my mind.
So please, let me know what is your opinion and why (appearance, technical, image, colecteable,...)

Thanks
Pretty good summary of the 2 cars.

Buy one of each
Old 11-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Corto
...And these 25, are they documented, are there a registry of them?...I suppose they might have high collecting value...
I don't know of any specific documentation for them. GM donated the two actual pace cars to the speedway. If memory serves, the #1 Pace Car is in the Speedway Museum. The 2nd Pace Car is usually given to the race winner.

The Indy Festival cars went back to GM. I do not know whether they would have any higher collectible value just because they were used in Indianapolis during Speed Week.

See if you can Google old issues of Corvette News. There are three or four issues dealing with the Pace Car and Speed Week activities.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Corto
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok thanks, I´ll try to find if there are anything about that.

Regarding the collectible value, important is uniqueness and the story behind the car. The mentioned 73 Eldorado pace car replicas are technically identical to the other non-PC 73 Eldos, but because they have a documented story they have much higher value.

Last edited by Corto; 11-05-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:43 PM
mmesa005
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Came across this video, Motorweek 1984, which is dedicated to the then new 1984 C4. Interesting is the segment where Pat Goss talks about Corvette maintenance. His C3 is on the lift. See if you recognize the model?

Old 11-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Corto
Advanced

Thanks to all, I have already started to look for CE but will keep open eyes on good deals for PC.
Currently on the craigslists there are much more ads for CEs than for PCs.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:16 AM
mmesa005
Instructor

Corto,

Just in case you don't find a 78 or 82 that you like you may consider an 86 Corvette which was also delivered as an Indy 500 Pace Car edition.

See here for more
Old 11-08-2015, 02:22 AM
mmesa005
Instructor

More about Corvette Pace Cars http://www.pacecarregistry.com/index.htm
Old 11-08-2015, 04:40 PM
GRAND SPORT GUY
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 237 Likes on 125 Posts

Well I am obviously prejudiced on this issue! One of the reasons I made my choice is that I did want an 82' due to production moving to Bowling Green, and the subsequent increase in quality.

All C3's are great, though, and, after this one is paid off, I am going to look for a 68' like my Uncle Ray had long ago.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:57 AM
Corto
Advanced

To mmesa, thanks but in the first place it has to be C3.

To Ray, you are making my life much harder after you posted pics of your CE. It looks so beautiful so any other is ..... just an old car....
Old 11-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Love those CE wheels!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:59 PM
GRAND SPORT GUY
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Priya, thank you, I really like them too!

Old 12-30-2015, 07:52 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Pace Car or Collector Edition

I have always wanted a 1978 Pace Car and recently acquired one. This Pace Car has VIN#6495 meaning only seven more Pace Cars were produced after mine. It has an automatic transmission and an L48 engine but this engine is on steroids! It has been rebuilt with a high performance camshaft, Edelbrock high rise aluminum manifold with matching carb, and a high performance exhaust system with three inch exhaust pipes all the way back to two FloPro mufflers and NO catalytic converter. This car sounds very healthy with a lumpy idle and the performance that it should have had from the factory! I'm not concerned with the non-stock engine at this point. This car is a real beast now and gets a lot of attention at the few car shows I have had it at. It has just under 47,000 original miles on it and is in overall excellent condition. The best thing about it is that it has no computer controls which is a big plus for me as I am old school. That alone would make me choose the Pace Car over the Collector Edition. But each to his own.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:37 AM
Vet76te
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

One item to watch on the 82 CE is a love / hate item.

Most everyone LOVES the opening hatch rear window on the CE. However, they are known for having fitment and closing issues, which can be very difficult and costly to repair.

The glass is so heavy thy over time it actually bends / warps the hinges that are attached to the roof area. This allows the window to actually "bulge" rearward making closing very difficult. They also are prone to have a lot of wind noise around the gaskets.

Again....the opening rear hatch is awesome. Just make sure that the one you consider fits and operates correctly.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:22 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Go non traditional...75 vert collector's edition
Name:  f96t8v2.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  2.19 MB
Old 02-12-2017, 03:32 PM
78PaceBill
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned an 82 CE bought from a dealer and it was an awesome car, but long gone now.

I just bought a 78 Pace L-82 and 4 speed and love it and it appears to much more a "classic" and gets way more attention than the 82 CE. I was at a show in WBP and there was zero pace cars and 4 CE on display.

You can't go wrong with either and I would buy the best car at the best price you can find.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:35 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I would vote for the 78 pace car. To me, its much more striking and would turn a lot more heads. However, as stated above, if you want a lot more comfortable driving car, I'd say the 82 woulid be for you. thank you to Mmesa for posting that Motorweek video. I loved it!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:42 PM
GRAND SPORT GUY
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

CORTO: REGARDING THE HATCH PROBLEM:

I will describe my experience with the hatch so you can make an informed decision on the CE.

First, the hatch benefit is HUGE! When mine did not open until it was fixed, it was, as all C3 owners know, a little bit of a hassle to load luggage, etc in the back of the car. Twisting, turning the neck and back etc to lift / move heavier items all the way to the back of the luggage area, and even stowing the T-Tops could be difficult. With the opening hatchback, it is a PLEASURE to load luggage and T-Tops. We take weekend and long distance trips with the car, so the convenience of the hatchback is immeasurable for us.

So, here goes:

My hatch wedged itself closed after about 20 openings / closings after I bought it. My shop, Corvette Mike Midwest, and their C3 Guru Alan, quoted me two hours or less of labor to undo it, adjust it, and guarantee that it was fixed. They did just that, 1.5 hours labor, BUT it also involved cutting about 1/64th inch clearance around the holes in the back fascia where the locking pins go into their receivers. To me it is NOT noticeable in any way,even under close scrutiny, but I suppose there are some purists for "Originality" who would be bothered by this, but it does not bother me at all. I am never going to sell this car, and I drive it all the time, including, so far, trips to Tulsa, Estes Park, CO, and in May we are taking it to Niagara Falls.

I DID purchase the new hinges made by (removed, Non Supporting Vendor routinely promoted) ... but at this time, I don't see any need to pay for the labor to replace the now fixed and working hinges.

I am still very pleased with my CE purchase, and, as an aside, I have NEVER seen one out on the road driving, so even though there are over 6,000 of them out there, I get compliments all the time from the public on how great the car looks and how distinctive it is.

And again, as I mentioned in my first post, I DID want a car produced in Bowling Green for the quality, fitment, etc.

CORTO, let us know which one you decide on, and post some pics, too! Good luck with your purchase, I am sure you will enjoy either one!

-Ray

And here are a couple more photos for you to comtemplate:

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 02-13-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Remove reference to Non Supporting Vendor often promoted here

Get notified of new replies

To Which one to choose: 1978 Pace Replica or 1982 Collector Edition?

Old 02-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Silverton
Pro

Have '78 Pace Car for sale with 8700 original miles and L82 350 ci engine. Asking $25k firm. Car is in Mill Creek, WA (near Seattle).

Last edited by Silverton; 02-13-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Corto
Advanced

Thank you all for you recent comments, but for time being this dilemma is over for me.
It was more than a year ago when I planed to fly over to USA to buy one CE, but it happened that I couldn't, and shortly afterwards I found one here locally (in Austria).
So I ended up in the middle... , MY 1980, red, in good shape, and what is the best: real bargain... was a part of a concurs .

Done some reparation, and have already several 000 miles behind
The following users liked this post:
bj61662 (03-04-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

He said Pace Car replica. Not Pace Car.

Last edited by F4Gary; 02-14-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Which one to choose: 1978 Pace Replica or 1982 Collector Edition?