Sponsored by:

My son and I working on his '76 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 09:22 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
I have two boys that have worked on it and don't want to start a war (have to get another Vette someday?).
Originally Posted by KYC4
Two boys for you? Yeah you better get a 2nd and nip the jealousy in the butt
Two boys = two cars. I had SIX boys!
No wonder I`m broke!

The following users liked this post:
KYC4 (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I love this thread. My oldest son is now 19 years old and he spent many years helping me with my vette. He is now in the Navy and beginning his own life, but he still asks about the vette. I told him when I'm too old to care about the vette it's his.

Just started teaching my 16 year old about car maintenance when I gave him his Honda CRV for his 16th birthday. It so much fun working on a car with your kids. Enjoy!
KYC4 (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 11:28 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
I love this thread. My oldest son is now 19 years old and he spent many years helping me with my vette. He is now in the Navy and beginning his own life, but he still asks about the vette. I told him when I'm too old to care about the vette it's his.

Just started teaching my 16 year old about car maintenance when I gave him his Honda CRV for his 16th birthday. It so much fun working on a car with your kids. Enjoy!
Thanks! We have a good time working on all of the cars. Started him very young. At almost a year old he would hand me tools while I was fixing up my old '00 Camaro. It's a lot of fun and I hope he sticks with it as he gets older.

Later,

Lee
Old 12-05-2015, 11:40 PM
CV62Air
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Lee, my hood got stuck on passenger side. If you can move the little tab on the drivers side so it will relatch, and get the hood to close all the way, it might open normally for you afterwards. It worked once like that for me.

Oldgto... 6 boys? broke, but blessed!

Enjoy the time with your young men, my friends. My Pop passed away recently, and I have some very cherished memories of times working with him on cars and just about everything else.
KYC4 (12-05-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 04:01 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CV62Air
Lee, my hood got stuck on passenger side. If you can move the little tab on the drivers side so it will relatch, and get the hood to close all the way, it might open normally for you afterwards. It worked once like that for me.

Oldgto... 6 boys? broke, but blessed!

Enjoy the time with your young men, my friends. My Pop passed away recently, and I have some very cherished memories of times working with him on cars and just about everything else.
I will try that and see if that does the trick. Thank you!

Merry Christmas,

Lee
Old 12-21-2015, 11:37 AM
iandm
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Moving along. My family isnt very car oriented so that makes it tough. They have mo clue what goes into fixing them up. They just go to the dealership and buy a shinny car haha. Trade it before it needs tires.
KYC4 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 12:06 PM
indallas1978
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while! You are creating good memories, work ethic and pride you both will remember the rest of y'all's lives. The world needs more people like you in it, imo. Great job!!!
👍👍
KYC4 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:34 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by indallas1978
This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while! You are creating good memories, work ethic and pride you both will remember the rest of y'all's lives. The world needs more people like you in it, imo. Great job!!!
👍👍
Thank you, sir! We've been getting bits and pieces here and there. Here we are with his new center section for the gauges. This was a splurge...I sold off some traction bars I had for a 2nd Gen Trans Am/Camaro to get this for him.

All smiles!

Hood grill/vent...thanks Oldgto! I'm using this to modify the '77 hood we have so that it is a proper '76 hood.

Here's the center section of his '76...a bit rough.

Not sure that the steerig wheel can be cleaned up but in all honesty I'd like to get an earlier one in there as it is just cooler looking IMHO. But I think the column has to be changed. The center gauge section is all busted up...hard to tell from the picture but it is.

Thanks again everyone for the kudos and advice. We appreciate it!

Merry Christmas,

Lee
Old 02-06-2016, 09:57 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Got some more work done on the '76 today. The boy wanted to play hoops with my youngest nephew so I plunged ahead. My niece had locked down the passenger side of the hood and after about 20-30 minutes my oldest nephew and I freed it up. Pulled the hood off, got the motor mount bolts loose (finger tight) and pulled the water pump/fan to get the 305 ready to pull. Once we get it into my uncle's garage I'll remove the tranny and converter bolts and then we will pull the old block out.

I am taking the busted hood, doing a simple repair of the corner, and then making it wall art for my son's room. I will sand it down, paint it the correct code 13 Silver and then have the 'Stingray' script put on it horizontally so that I can hang it in his room. We have a '77 hood for his car but I plan on adding the proper vent to it (the opening is molded into the hood).

Later,

Lee

Hood is off! WHEW!

It's a roller 305 that is shot. Off to the recycle yard for $10 (if I'm lucky).

Damaged hood. I could be repaired and resued but the 'glass has rot and it would require a good bit of work actually. Plus there are two cracks on the other side of it. So it is destined to become wall art.

The back half of the free exhaust we got for the car. I have the mid pipes already painted. I ran out of primer (and time) today to complete it. Those are Midas mufflers on it LOL! For the time being it will get the job done.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Glad you could get out! Love the custom bend jobs on the pipes too! LOL! But like you say it will get the job done for the time being! Your son will love the wall art!
KYC4 (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 10:57 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Glad you could get out! Love the custom bend jobs on the pipes too! LOL! But like you say it will get the job done for the time being! Your son will love the wall art!
Thanks! It may not be pretty but it will get it done for now. The engine is basically a stock L05 350. Only putting on an older Edelbrock intkake, Holley 1850 600cfm carb and long tube headers. So the exhaust won't be worked over too much for now. Just want to get her mobile so that I can bring her home and work on the 'glass this coming winter.

Later,

Lee
Old 02-07-2016, 04:08 AM
usmilret
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are creating memories that will last a lifetime. Not only that you are imparting a passion for cars as well as life skills to your son. I applaud you for this. The reward undoubtedly will be great.
KYC4 (02-07-2016)

Quick Reply: My son and I working on his '76 Stingray