Sponsored by:

Priya's 79 chrome bumper conversion project

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
Are you in a position to keep working on it, or is it put away and shop turned over to the spousal unit for the very short mild winters you experience in Saskatoon?
Yes, am able to work on it, the spousal unit relented this year but I told him next winter if he wants I'll sell my beater Oldsmobile and we'll put the Corvette away for the winter and I'll only work on it in the summer. I have been working on it pretty steady (for me, lol ) but I opened up another big can of worms on the rear bumpers. I had them fitting to my satisfaction and then I noticed that on the bumper mounting area shown by the green arrow (below) that this bumper mount had, perhaps a 1/32 of an inch gap between the bumper's mounting pad and the fiberglass mounting point on the body when the bumper was in place. I was already to modify the four remaining bumper brackets this fall and then I decided I couldn't live with the 1/32 " gap between that bumper mount and the car and decided I'd quickly slap on a couple of layers of fiberglass there and close down the gap. And that's where I've been ever since despite working on the car fairly steadily.

My big mistake was that instead of just working on this fiberglass bumper mounting point I also sanded away the body mounting point for the bumper on the quarter panel as well and so now with two unknown positions for two of the bumper mounts re-glassing both body mounting points for the bumper has been a great deal of fiddling, trial and error, and repeated glassing and sanding away. It had occurred to me before I started work on the (initially) offending bumper mounting point on the body (see below) that I should thicken that area first and only then move to the bumper mounting point on the body panel so I had only one variable to deal with at a time. I had a brain fart and forgot that when I started sanding the first bumper mounting point on the body and sanded the one on the quarter panel as well, making this a much more difficult and lengthy process than it needed to be (thats what I get for smoking that exotic cheroot before I went out to work on the car).

Further, I didn't go "all-in" on sanding away the gel coat initially and then bit by bit I fiberglassed with much of it in place, decided I needed to remove more gel coat and so on and that also slowed the process a great deal (repeatedly trying to minimize the amount of work I was doing ended up creating a lot of unnecessary work and needless waste of supplies). I took dozens of pictures of the process to show people what needs to be done and what not to do in such a situation (a lot of "what not to do") so its going to take some time to winnow those down to a reasonable number and put them in order and so on to show it all.

I've got the two passenger side bumper mounting points pretty close to ideal now so I'm taking it real slow so I don't over sand and have to backtrack. Also I discovered that I was pretty thin in various areas and needed to thicken up the inside of the rear clip around those bumper mounting points so that's added even more time. So, yeah....Body work! Ya gotta love it!

Last edited by Priya; 12-19-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:55 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Keep up the good work...…..rework...…..work...….!
The following users liked this post:
Priya (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Keep up the good work...…..rework...…..work...….!
Oh sooooo much rework...
Old 12-19-2018, 05:29 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

May be politically incorrect. But that is a very pretty hiney...
Old 12-30-2018, 05:10 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pzark
So getting back to Priya’s car...and can you take some pictures showing more of the finished back of your car, I am very interested to see it.
Its a single car garage so there aren't many angles from which you can get any picture other than a close-up, but here you go:

Old 12-30-2018, 05:27 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

This is what I've been working on all this time:

From this:

The area between the two green arrows is roughly where the side of the bumper bolt goes through. I wanted that mounting area to be a little wider at that point so the bumper bracket could sit on a little flatter surface than was orignially there. The darker fiberglass is the stuff I've added and the whiter stuff is where the original body line was. I'm shaved a little of the inside of the quarter panel at this point to get the flatter interior surface I was after for the mounting bracket/bumper attachment.

You can see in the above picture the blue masking tape on the inside of the quarter panel showing through - that's how thin it is). I broke through the original fiberglass in a couple of small areas and so reluctantly decided I needed to thicken the original fiberglass on the inside of the bumper mounts as well, so I've done that too:

The modified bumper mounting areas are very close to ideal now. I have a pile of pictures showing incremental steps of how I got from the original aftermarket fiberglass mounting points to where I am now. At some point I'll put that together in several posts (perhaps in a separate thread) for any novice contemplating such a project that wants to see whats involved (if you're no expert, lol!)

Last edited by Priya; 12-30-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:49 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

All this because I thought 1/2 a millimetre of gap between one bumper mounting area and the bumper was too much,

Now I'm stuck doing the driver's side too, although I'm sure I can do it a great deal faster than I did with the passenger side.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:38 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

this is why I cant do body work... prep prep prep prep then sand it all back off and prep prep prep some more... aaaand still not done... T.T
Old 12-30-2018, 07:19 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by naramlee
this is why I cant do body work... prep prep prep prep then sand it all back off and prep prep prep some more... aaaand still not done... T.T
As the Auditor General once said "Much was done but little was accomplished."

As an amateur I did a great deal of work that could have been avoided but that's the way it usually goes if you're not a professional with at least 10,000 hours experience.

As my Sweetheart says "Autobody isn't for people into instant gratification."
naramlee (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 07:43 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Priya:

That is looking great! They make bodywork look so easy on these cable TV car restoration shows but then, they do it all the time and have a small army working on it and get to edit the footage. I have one more car I will hopefully get done in the next couple years. After that, I don't see me doing another one. Getting old!

Keep up the good work and you'll have a sweet car when it's completed!

Take care, OLE442
Priya (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OLE442
Priya:

That is looking great! They make bodywork look so easy on these cable TV car restoration shows but then, they do it all the time and have a small army working on it and get to edit the footage. I have one more car I will hopefully get done in the next couple years. After that, I don't see me doing another one. Getting old!

OLE442
Yes, that's how I felt about this one - "I think I have one more restoration in me." I'm pretty sure after this one I'll be done, although Hubby's van and truck need rust repairs. I offered to do the rust repairs on his truck for him and told him I could probably have it done in 6 months or so and he just says "no problem", that he can fix it in a weekend.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:31 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Hi Priya thanks for sharing, its great to see it come this far especially as you inspired my project. It is tight between the new back and frame isn’t it, I could see from your picture. I stuck both our projects together to share how they look side by side, thought you may like that. Did you leave a small gap between the bumper side mount and bumper so you could get the rubber washer in there?

I've got six of these rubber washers (I was thinking given the rigid bumper mounts and rubber body bushings it would be good to use them on every rear bumper bolt) but they're like 3/4 of an inch thick - does the side bumper mount rubber washer go on the outside of the quarter panel or the inside of the quarter panel? Or is the side bumper mount hole supposed to be wide enough for the rubber washer to go through it? I read one guy said he cut these rubber washers in half before using them as they seemed excessively thick to him to.
May I suggest that as soon as you get it finished give it all a final sand with something like 220 grit using a long sanding block on the side panel and then give it a coat of sealer, just the back where you have worked. Give it a wet flat and then look at the reflections in the panel, sure way to see how good it will look painted and now would be a good time to perfect and visible flaws. Then give it a coat of primer filler and leave it, so by the time you get to paint the car all the shrinkage will have occured and you can then flat it all back and all that grafting should stay invisible.
Yes, I was thinking of priming the back part of the car after I'm done the work on it but hadn't thought of using a sealer as a first coat, I was thinking epoxy primer and then a 2 part high build primer so when I come back to it after the front is done and there's dirt and what have you on the car I can wipe it down and sand off the top layer to get rid of the dirt from sitting for a long time.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:10 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Keep at it Priya….. …….and Happy New Year!
Priya (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 04:45 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

The washers that I purchased are about 1/8” thick by I would guess about 1.5” diameter, thay just act as a cushion between the steel bumper mounts and the fiberglass. I have used the 3/4” ones that you mentioned at the frame attachment. You are spot on with using epoxy primer I think you may find that it also acts as a sealer, make sure that you give the entire area a good wipe over with a cleaner to degrease everything. Great job so far, it really is looking good and blends in really well.
I didn't realize/had forgotten there were thinner rubber washers cushioning the steel bumerp mounts and the fiberglass on the side like that. What do you think about using these 1/8 thick rubber washers on the outside of the body at all rear bumper attachment points?
Old 12-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Keep at it Priya….. …….and Happy New Year!
Thanks doorgunner, happy new year to you too
Old 01-01-2019, 07:38 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

ok, so the bumper is bolted to the bracket thru a layer of glass body and 2 layers of rubber? how do you tighten the bolts? or are the correct ones step bolts?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:07 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Priya, just so that you know, the 68-72 Corvettes had solid aluminum body mounts. The only ones to have these, due to so many of them being road raced at the time.
The 73-82's had rubber body mounts, like the 63-67's. You are doing a great job, Priya and Happy New Year to you and your hubby.
My 68 coupe does NOT lean in a fast corner, it feels like a true F-1 race car! Lou.
Priya (01-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Priya's 79 chrome bumper conversion project

Old 01-01-2019, 11:51 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Thanks loup68. Happy new year to you and yours.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

So, I haven't been working on the car for a week or so. Last time I was in the garage the compressor started banging pretty hard and I was afraid to keep using it. Hubby has a heavy duty Devilbiss two stage head he had machined and is ready for reassembly. He wants to put that on our existing compressor tank in favour of the troublesome brand X compressor head. Its a custom job to adapt it and the new Devilbiss head weighs some 500 lb or so all up so, it'll have to be assembled on the air tank. The air tank is bolted to the floor and also has to be moved as its too close to the wall to allow the new compressor head to fix.

I've got some other things I can work on that don't require compressed air, but its all too easily to get used to this sitting around the house all day thing so I haven't been able to come up with the motivation to change tasks. I'm not a multi-tasker so it always throws me off when I can't work on the thing I planned on and have been working on.

Back here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597600889
I was discussing possible colours I was considering painting the car. I mentioned a light silver purple that was my first choice but could not find a new enough paint code for paint companies to reproduce it. To my shock I was digging through some old crap and found this light silver purple test panel that I must have had painted back around 20012:

I really want to paint my car this colour, but unlike the other dozen or so test panels I had painted back in 2012, I didn't write the paint code/ paint name/manufacturer on the back of the panel! So, I have no way of finding out how this colour was produced for me back in 2012.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:48 AM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I like that color. A lot of paint venders have computerized equipment where they can set a sample under an "electronic eye" and the computer will kick out a mix formula for the color. Just keep the formula safe for future needs. Just a thought......
Priya (01-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Priya's 79 chrome bumper conversion project