Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 05:00 PM
djllort
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey guys it's me again! Please help

Thanks for helping me before!
I got some general questions since I don't know anything about cars.. Lol

1)I have no idea what kind of engine is this, you guys know? I was told it was a v8 rebuilt but just that..

2) They made a full inspection and they told me I gotta fix this:

replace the brake master cylinder, booster, e-brake cables, passenger front axle joints, brake fluid flush.........parts labor and tax.....$1,196.66.
Replacing fuel lines and filter......parts labor and tax.....$178.

Is that a good rate?

And for last I've uploaded a pic of the piece of radio they left in there... What do you think?

Old 12-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Yes tha tis a small block Chevrolet V8. Most likely a 350 cubic inch motor. Very common. AS for the work that is pretty steep. I have replaced entire brake systems for about that. Corvettes are expensive though and to have some one else do it is going to cost. Also a lot dont want to get involved in an old car because once you take one thing apart others break or you find there is more work to be done. I do a lot of side jobs for forum members here and I do not make much money on it but I do it because I enjoy it adn I like to see the owner enjoy the car.
The following users liked this post:
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:02 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks like the body of a radio that has a removable face plate. If you can find the face of the radio somewhere in the car snap it on and see if it works.
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:34 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

DJ, No one can say, whether it's a 'fair price', because the brake booster isn't exactly an easy part to replace on these cars, nor is bleeding it, but I've got to wonder on the "passenger front axle joints" as there is no front axle joints on these cars, unless they're calling what's there, something else. And also, the fuel line and filter replacement? Is that on the engine or the gas tank or both? You should get that clarified. That's a lot of dough and shouldn't take more than an hour on any Corvette. If it's the steel fuel lines running on the body, make them show you.

Finally, you need to get a basic tool set and the book "Readers Digest Complete Car Care Manual". It is cheap and it was actually made to educate regular people like you, on just about every single thing you need to know about your car. It tells you how it works, with a whole lot of pictures, tells you how to diagnose it and tells you how to fix it. The book will even tell you what tools to get!!!

I have a copy and I learn something new every day, just paging through it.

Because these C3 Corvettes always need something and if you're going to be going to the mechanic, I hope you have deep pockets, because they always need something.
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:57 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Yes tha tis a small block Chevrolet V8. Most likely a 350 cubic inch motor. Very common. AS for the work that is pretty steep. I have replaced entire brake systems for about that. Corvettes are expensive though and to have some one else do it is going to cost. Also a lot dont want to get involved in an old car because once you take one thing apart others break or you find there is more work to be done. I do a lot of side jobs for forum members here and I do not make much money on it but I do it because I enjoy it adn I like to see the owner enjoy the car.
Too bad you don't live near me! lol
Old 12-03-2015, 06:58 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by RockyL32
Looks like the body of a radio that has a removable face plate. If you can find the face of the radio somewhere in the car snap it on and see if it works.
Never found it..
Old 12-03-2015, 06:59 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by F22
DJ, No one can say, whether it's a 'fair price', because the brake booster isn't exactly an easy part to replace on these cars, nor is bleeding it, but I've got to wonder on the "passenger front axle joints" as there is no front axle joints on these cars, unless they're calling what's there, something else. And also, the fuel line and filter replacement? Is that on the engine or the gas tank or both? You should get that clarified. That's a lot of dough and shouldn't take more than an hour on any Corvette. If it's the steel fuel lines running on the body, make them show you.

Finally, you need to get a basic tool set and the book "Readers Digest Complete Car Care Manual". It is cheap and it was actually made to educate regular people like you, on just about every single thing you need to know about your car. It tells you how it works, with a whole lot of pictures, tells you how to diagnose it and tells you how to fix it. The book will even tell you what tools to get!!!

I have a copy and I learn something new every day, just paging through it.

Because these C3 Corvettes always need something and if you're going to be going to the mechanic, I hope you have deep pockets, because they always need something.
Thanks.. I will.. yes I know Im average person lol
Old 12-03-2015, 07:00 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gordonm
But we don't know exactly which engine it is huh? how can I find out to know its specifications? horse power? etc
Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by djllort
Thanks.. I will.. yes I know Im average person lol
And I just bought it! thanks again
Old 12-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi d,
On the front of the engine block just below the forward end of the right side valve cover there is a 'pad' on which the factory that built the engine originally stamped some information…. a date when it was made and a 2 or 3 letter code that indicated the 'configuration' of the engine… that would tell it's horsepower and the type of vehicle it was going to be installed.
Certainly your engine may have had 'work' done on it since it was produced but that''ll be a start in figuring out what you have.
Your pad may be more square in shape rather than rectangular like this one.
Regards,
Alan

This side on the front part of the engine.

A typical pad (later engines have a different shape). CJL is a 270 hp engine intended to be used in a Corvette with a 4 speed transmission. I was assembled on January(01), the 7th (07), of in 1971.

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-03-2015 at 08:35 PM.
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

But we don't know exactly which engine it is huh? how can I find out to know its specifications? horse power? etc
Alan is correct on the pad to find out what it was originally. But if it has been rebuilt you do not know what cam or Pistons or anything that was put into the engine. So the pad will tell you what block you have but the internals could all have been changed.
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:16 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi d,
On the front of the engine block just below the forward end of the right side valve cover there is a 'pad' on which the factory that built the engine originally stamped some information…. a date when it was made and a 2 or 3 letter code that indicated the 'configuration' of the engine… that would tell it's horsepower and the type of vehicle it was going to be installed.
Certainly your engine may have had 'work' done on it since it was produced but that''ll be a start in figuring out what you have.
Your pad may be more square in shape rather than rectangular like this one.
Regards,
Alan

This side on the front part of the engine.

A typical pad (later engines have a different shape). CJL is a 270 hp engine intended to be used in a Corvette with a 4 speed transmission. I was assembled on January(01), the 7th (07), of in 1971.

Awesome! Ill check in the morning thanks. The guy that sold it to me said it wasn't the average 200 hp, said this was rebuilt and could make 400 hp, how? I dont know because I dont know about engines lol but I wanna do some research on it... anyways Im gonna get another engine later on, I think its the best to do.. something more powerful and cleaner.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:43 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Awesome! Ill check in the morning thanks. The guy that sold it to me said it wasn't the average 200 hp, said this was rebuilt and could make 400 hp, how? I dont know because I dont know about engines lol but I wanna do some research on it... anyways Im gonna get another engine later on, I think its the best to do.. something more powerful and cleaner.
If you find it is the original engine you are best to work with it to keep the value of the car up .You can make a lot (more than you need or can handle) from a small block V 8 .What problem are you having with the brakes to cause having to replace the brake booster ? I have been an ASE certified mechanic for over 40 years and seen (not saying the shop did) make a lot of costly mistakes on estimates .We will get you through this .
I lived in Vancouver Wash and had a shop there
Wes
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:46 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Thanks for helping me before!
I got some general questions since I don't know anything about cars.. Lol

1)I have no idea what kind of engine is this, you guys know? I was told it was a v8 rebuilt but just that..

2) They made a full inspection and they told me I gotta fix this:

replace the brake master cylinder, booster, e-brake cables, passenger front axle joints, brake fluid flush.........parts labor and tax.....$1,196.66.
Replacing fuel lines and filter......parts labor and tax.....$178.

Is that a good rate?

And for last I've uploaded a pic of the piece of radio they left in there... What do you think?

Have you looked in the storage compartments for the radio face looks like a long flat cell phone ?
Wes
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:49 PM
530planeman
Drifting

You need to look at the heat riser on right exhaust manifold if it is stuck closed you will loose a lot of wire it has a " Bubba" fix on it
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:52 PM
djllort
Advanced

Originally Posted by 530planeman
If you find it is the original engine you are best to work with it to keep the value of the car up .You can make a lot (more than you need or can handle) from a small block V 8 .What problem are you having with the brakes to cause having to replace the brake booster ? I have been an ASE certified mechanic for over 40 years and seen (not saying the shop did) make a lot of costly mistakes on estimates .We will get you through this .
I lived in Vancouver Wash and had a shop there
Wes
I know its not the original engine for sure.. he told me that... he said this one was "better" lol when I was driving the car on the freeway after 15 min or so when I was to brake I would hear a loud bang in the rear right... I also felt the car was drifting a little in that direction.. so I took it to inspection and they told me some of that was causing that noise and the drifting... and that it was dangerous actually... they also said the suspension needed some work but we could do that later on
Old 12-03-2015, 09:53 PM
djllort
Advanced

Have you looked in the storage compartments for the radio face looks like a long flat cell phone ?
Wes
yeah, he told me he lost it.. lol and this one is not the original for sure.. so Ill have it removed I guess. Put something else in there.

Get notified of new replies

To Hey guys it's me again! Please help

Old 12-03-2015, 10:03 PM
530planeman
Drifting

I know its not the original engine for sure.. he told me that... he said this one was "better" lol when I was driving the car on the freeway after 15 min or so when I was to brake I would hear a loud bang in the rear right... I also felt the car was drifting a little in that direction.. so I took it to inspection and they told me some of that was causing that noise and the drifting... and that it was dangerous actually... they also said the suspension needed some work but we could do that later on
WRONG Sounds like you have an axel bearing problem and if they haven't changed one of those RUUUUUUUUUN away from that shop as that takes some one that has done that before and preferably has a dummy machined axel to set bearing load ,not an easy job but fairly common problem . How does brake pedal feel when you are parked and engine running feel when you push down ? What year is your vette?Feel free to have that shop call me I will see if I can help and be nice (well for a while I will be nice ) I was a Bureau of Automotive referee station for 22 years in Calif . If what they are talking about is replacing the rear axel shaft bearings then their estimate might not be bad but they need to know what they are doing .Do they regularly work on C 3's
Wes
Wes
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:05 PM
530planeman
Drifting

yeah, he told me he lost it.. lol and this one is not the original for sure.. so Ill have it removed I guess. Put something else in there.
Go to radio shop or a Best by chances are they can get you one also salvage yards .a good radio place can tell which one you need could be an expensive radio you have
Wes
djllort (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:17 PM
djllort
Advanced

WRONG Sounds like you have an axel bearing problem and if they haven't changed one of those RUUUUUUUUUN away from that shop as that takes some one that has done that before and preferably has a dummy machined axel to set bearing load ,not an easy job but fairly common problem . How does brake pedal feel when you are parked and engine running feel when you push down ? What year is your vette?Feel free to have that shop call me I will see if I can help and be nice (well for a while I will be nice ) I was a Bureau of Automotive referee station for 22 years in Calif . If what they are talking about is replacing the rear axel shaft bearings then their estimate might not be bad but they need to know what they are doing .Do they regularly work on C 3's
Wes
Wes
Well, they are older people and they seemed to have worked on racing cars before... he said it was something related to the front axle... and he didn't look happy about it lol its year 77... Im thinking of taking the car to repair in January or a little later if we get snow here... no point in having it fixed with snow around.. but I would have them call u if u want, I read good reviews about them and they do seem to be experienced, but then again what do I know they told me it was gonna be a project lol

Quick Reply: Hey guys it's me again! Please help