Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May have done a dumb thing help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 04:29 PM
C376FL
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default May have done a dumb thing help please!

I have a 76' l82
I have been wanting to check the timing for a while, first I had to get a timing light witch I did last Sunday. First thing I had to do was install a timing tab on the timing cover, because there was none on the cover. Now to the problem, when I hooked the red clamp on the alternator post where the red wire was and the black on the alter. bracket. The timing light showed the rpm I was about to check the timing mark on the balancer when the light started to smoke, I unhooked it real quick. What did I do wrong. The timing light is a craftsman with rpm/adv. I did get a extended warranty unless they said I hooked it up wrong. But I can't see how.
Help please
Larry
Old 12-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Probably made in China. Return it and get your money back.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:40 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Probably made in China. Return it and get your money back.
Return the light for another one. At least it wasn't your alternator smoking so it's just a faulty light.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:00 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

What they said.
Craftsman isn't what it use to be.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:11 PM
C376FL
Racer

Thanks guys I will be taken it back tomorrow. I might next time run some gables to the battery then to the light.
Thanks again
Larry
Old 12-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Yellow6t7
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by C376FL
I have a 76' l82
I have been wanting to check the timing for a while, first I had to get a timing light witch I did last Sunday. First thing I had to do was install a timing tab on the timing cover, because there was none on the cover. Now to the problem, when I hooked the red clamp on the alternator post where the red wire was and the black on the alter. bracket. The timing light showed the rpm I was about to check the timing mark on the balancer when the light started to smoke, I unhooked it real quick. What did I do wrong. The timing light is a craftsman with rpm/adv. I did get a extended warranty unless they said I hooked it up wrong. But I can't see how.
Help please
Larry

Since you don't know the difference between which and witch you probably won't understand any directions you get here.

Last edited by Yellow6t7; 12-06-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:13 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

What did you do that was dumb.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You did not do anything wrong in how you connected your red and black leads. Especially if you were certain that the red clamp stayed on the terminal stud of the alternator and did not ground out. When that occurs...it will usually sparks like crazy.

And for what it is worth:

Putting on a timing tab and hopefully it is the correct one where the gauge portion is very close to the circumference of the harmonic balancer....as it should be. AND....

Unless you KNOW for a FACT that the harmonic balacner is NEW or GOOD. Using a timing light trying to get to the 'numbers' that many people get all caught up in MAY be a waste of time.

Reason being....IF you do not knwo for a fact that the balancer is good....you could be setting your timing to the NOTCH in the outer ring of the harmonic balancer that has MOVED.....thus....not correct.....and thus.....your timing results in 'numbers' is all messed up. I KNWO this for a fact because unless I knwo the balancer is good....for a fact...I have to verify that the notch for timing in the outer ring of the balancer is correctly positioned so my timing results can be relied upon as correctly accurate.

Just so when you hook it up and come back saying the timing was 'x'...and were concerned because you can not get it to where it 'should' be....I would not have to tell you about this issue...which can occur...because I have dealt with some balancers that the outer ring have spun 3 inches from where they should be.

DUB
Old 12-06-2015, 07:29 PM
mrichi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow6t7
Since you don't know the difference between which and witch you probably won't understand any directions you get her.
Why do you have to make smart **** comments ,why not just help the guy ????
The following users liked this post:
LRB (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Yellow6t7
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mrichi
Why do you have to make smart **** comments ,why not just help the guy ????
Not a smart **** comment.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:16 PM
C376FL
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
You did not do anything wrong in how you connected your red and black leads. Especially if you were certain that the red clamp stayed on the terminal stud of the alternator and did not ground out. When that occurs...it will usually sparks like crazy.

Putting on a timing tab and hopefully it is the correct one where the gauge portion is very close to the circumference of the harmonic balancer....as it should be. AND....

Unless you KNOW for a FACT that the harmonic balacner is NEW or GOOD. Using a timing light trying to get to the 'numbers' that many people get all caught up in MAY be a waste of time.

Reason being....IF you do not knwo for a fact that the balancer is good....you could be setting your timing to the NOTCH in the outer ring of the harmonic balancer that has MOVED.....thus....not correct.....and thus.....your timing results in 'numbers' is all messed up. I KNWO this for a fact because unless I knwo the balancer is good....for a fact...I have to verify that the notch for timing in the outer ring of the balancer is correctly positioned so my timing results can be relied upon as correctly accurate.

Just so when you hook it up and come back saying the timing was 'x'...and were concerned because you can not get it to where it 'should' be....I would not have to tell you about this issue...which can occur...because I have dealt with some balancers that the outer ring have spun 3 inches from where they should be.

DUB
Thanks Dub I just know the car runs on after I drive it and turn the car off. I have read that it could be timing. I do not know if the balancer is good or not. As for the tab I put it on to see if the timing is close or not. It is a large balancer with just about 1/4 of an inch clearance. I know to get number one up on the compression stroke and then see if the timing mark on the balancer is close to the timing tab.
Thanks again
O by the way I could not find out if that one step primer I bought would work on butyl tape so I saw where one posted he used crlaurence had primer made for butyl tape, so I have a can coming.
Thanks for your help on both problems
Larry
Old 12-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Gweesh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dub I just know the car runs on after I drive it and turn the car off. I have read that it could be timing. I do not know if the balancer is good or not. As for the tab I put it on to see if the timing is close or not. It is a large balancer with just about 1/4 of an inch clearance. I know to get number one up on the compression stroke and then see if the timing mark on the balancer is close to the timing tab.
Thanks again
O by the way I could not find out if that one step primer I bought would work on butyl tape so I saw where one posted he used crlaurence had primer made for butyl tape, so I have a can coming.
Thanks for your help on both problems
Larry
The car runs after ignition switch is turned off? Am I reading that right?

If so does it knock/rattle/sputter when this happens?
Old 12-06-2015, 08:47 PM
C376FL
Racer

Originally Posted by Gweesh
The car runs after ignition switch is turned off? Am I reading that right?

If so does it knock/rattle/sputter when this happens?
Yes it knock/sputter till it dies.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:03 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes it knock/sputter till it dies.
Turn your idle down a little, and it should stop doing this.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:04 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Thanks guys I will be taken it back tomorrow. I might next time run some gables to the battery then to the light.
Thanks again
Larry
Doesn't matter , power from the battery or alternator + post . All the same thing. Take the defective timing gun back. I have an old Craftsman gun about 25 years old and still going strong but they don't make things the same today.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:11 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
Balancers are known to spin on their centers throwing the timing marks off and it is sometimes hard to determine this. I always thought they should put matching alignment marks on both pieces when they are put together so it is obvious if it moves at all. Maybe someone is already doing this , I am just not aware of any.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

[QUOTE=mrichi;1591056401]Why do you have to make smart **** comments ,why not just help the g

Last edited by Calo69; 12-06-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To May have done a dumb thing help please!

Old 12-06-2015, 09:18 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow6t7
Not a smart **** comment.
That comment is not helpful. If you can't be constructive don't say anything.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:57 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks again
Larry
Larry you can hook to any battery source if you have another battery just sit it on the ground an hook it up you might have let the red touch to ground it doesn't take much lotta amps at that connection
good Luck
Old 12-07-2015, 12:28 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

DUB, BJ

Is there any way to verify or fix the timing tab position?

Quick Reply: May have done a dumb thing help please!