Sponsored by:

Another product that doesn't fit as promised

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:06 PM
MSS400
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another product that doesn't fit as promised

I'm restoring my rear astro ventilation flapper doors etc on my 72 coupe. All set to go and patiently waited for the new vent seal kit and such to arrive. Well, I just got item # 36711 which are the 6 little rubber bumpers to attach the flaps. This is what I received, next to an original bumper. There's simply not enough gap to allow this bumper to encompass both pieces of metal and a foam flap. In fact, there's virtually no gap there at all. Unfortunately, I assumed that Corvette America wouldn't sell me an unsuitable item, so I cut off most of my 43 yr old rubber bumpers without salvaging them. Now, I have no way to attach the flaps with these rubber waste-products. Does someone actually sell the right bumpers? And what's up with selling something that won't work?

Last edited by MSS400; 12-30-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi m,
Dr. Rebuild lists originals #8844138 and reproductions #8834136. I don't know if either is any better than what you have.
The catalogue is a few years old (he hasn't updated it like he used to) so I don't know if he has any originals left.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-30-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:23 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Lesson

Originally Posted by MSS400
I'm restoring my rear astro ventilation flapper doors etc on my 72 coupe. All set to go and patiently waited for the new vent seal kit and such to arrive. Well, I just got item # 36711 which are the 6 little rubber bumpers to attach the flaps. This is what I received, next to an original bumper. There's simply not enough gap to allow this bumper to encompass both pieces of metal and a foam flap. In fact, there's virtually no gap there at all. Unfortunately, I assumed that Corvette America wouldn't sell me an unsuitable item, so I cut off most of my 43 yr old rubber bumpers without salvaging them. Now, I have no way to attach the flaps with these rubber waste-products. Does someone actually sell the right bumpers? And what's up with selling something that won't work?
I had to learn the hard way. Always try and salvage the original parts.

Most reproductions just don't pass muster next to original GM.

Bill
Old 12-30-2015, 09:34 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1974ta
I had to learn the hard way. Always try and salvage the original parts.

Most reproductions just don't pass muster next to original GM.

Bill
Never throw anything away, never ruin anything until the job is completely finished, and the replacement parts work.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Since you have to pull the part through the hole (you can't push it through), that rubber part WILL stretch. That MAY allow the part to fit, but it will certainly be under more strain than the original (which has a wider gap).

Worth a try, since you already have them.

Get notified of new replies

To Another product that doesn't fit as promised

Quick Reply: Another product that doesn't fit as promised