Sponsored by:

1971 Convertible... "Back in the day"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default 1971 Convertible... "Back in the day"

I was going through my old photos (I'm going to send them out and have them placed on digital format) and came across several that I forgot I had... Thought they were pretty cool and figured others might enjoy seeing them as well.

Photos of my 1971 convertible taken back in 1978... Shortly after the second owner (the gentleman I purchased it from) bought the car. The custom paint is hard to miss! I'm told the car was repainted almost immediately after the original owner took delivery (which is an interesting story itself). Original color was Steel Cities gray. Love the wheels... I prefer the straight spokes over the curved spokes of the current Torq Thrust D. Like the side pipes too.

Currently, the body has been prepped and the car is in primer... Waiting in line for a well deserved restoration.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
The following users liked this post:
Yankeededandy (01-07-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 02:44 PM
glinares
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Cool pictures. It is amazing how the years go by so quick. When I discovered Corvettes mag wheels and some custom paint was the norm. I love seeing old Corvette pictures.

George
Old 01-05-2016, 03:00 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Great picture..I agree with glinares.
Back when they were new, people "made them there own" modifying/customizing them.
Brought back some good memories.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My original owner told me that within the first week of owning my 70 LT-1 he had new wheels, side pipes, square headlights, and a stripe painted down the middle. He said "that's what we did with our cars back in the 70's. We made them our own." Pics are from the 80's.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glinares
It is amazing how the years go by so quick.
George,

That statement is painfully true!

I purchased two cars from this gentleman... The 1971 convertible you see here in 2002 and a 1970 coupe in 2008.

The 1970 coupe is currently being restored and is nearing completion, but it has been off the road since 1980 (I know this because the parts were wrapped in newspaper dated 1980 when it was taken apart). Chassis and driveline are nearly completed, Bodywork and primer are completed and the car leaves shortly for finish paint, interior is restored and ready to go back in... Not long now!

The 1971 has been off the road since 1981. While it is finally scheduled to get into the "restoration rotation'" it will probably be almost fifteen years from the time I purchased it until I finally get around to finishing it.

Regards,

Stan
Old 01-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Stan,
Nice to see the old pictures!
You're quite fortunate to have them.
Those side pipes without any shields…. dangerous territory!!!!
I saw Shannon U's husband at Carlisle and saw a scar on the back of his calf…. HAD to ask, yes, it was!
My wife has one too! We were driving the car without covers because the dealer was going to replace the first set I bought because the chrome had 'popped' so quickly!
Thanks!
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Stan,
Nice to see the old pictures!
You're quite fortunate to have them.
Those side pipes without any shields…. dangerous territory!!!!
I saw Shannon U's husband at Carlisle and saw a scar on the back of his calf…. HAD to ask, yes, it was!
My wife has one too! We were driving the car without covers because the dealer was going to replace the first set I bought because the chrome had 'popped' so quickly!
Thanks!

Alan,

Funny you should mention Shannon... I found a twenty year old picture of HER car while I was going through photos. Was going to surprise her with it in Florida in a few weeks.

Regards,

Stan
Old 01-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Stan,
That'll be GREAT!
It'll be SUCH a surprise because it'll come so unexpectedly!
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Crafty12,

Great photos!

Regards,

Stan
Old 01-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

Great pics,love that look. Paint gave me a flashback.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:08 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

My '72 vert was a old show car when I bought it in '95 was a beautiful burgundy Ditzler paint job, '68 rectangular Olds tail lights, and fender flares/mud flap style....when looking at it, hardly note the flares, but as a show car they must have been much wider, but they are about 2" wider than stock, I never noticed that but a friend here in Florida came over with his '72 and we took a tape to the fenders, and sure enough....

but being street driven since '95, sure enough some accidents happened, a damn deer wiped out the headlight one night, so in with Eckler's sugar scoops and the square lights.....then a Verizon truck backed his hitch into the left front, messing is up a good bit, and that was the end of the burgundy paint, so it's now green with black stripes.... I added the '89 vette wheels with 50 series tires.....

and all the stock mechanicals are not modified, nothing is stock, from wheels through roof....

HB brakes, rack, late Camaro bulbs moved forward, 1/2 size light openings, custom grill, totally custom console/controls, Hurst shifter bar with 8 ball on it....200 4r auto for the overdrive, Lt1 with HEI on a L98 engine , serp drive fron '88-91 vette, '89 F body V8 radiator, Dual Spal fans, huge engine oil cooler for transmission that runs 130f under worst conditions....power windows added, TT column added, '77 vette CHROME horn/tt on a later shark wheel.....used to have a hardtop for it, but after setting in the garage for ~5 years here in Florida, I sold it off.....

Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
I was going through my old photos (I'm going to send them out and have them placed on digital format) and came across several that I forgot I had... Thought they were pretty cool and figured others might enjoy seeing them as well.

Photos of my 1971 convertible taken back in 1978... Shortly after the second owner (the gentleman I purchased it from) bought the car. The custom paint is hard to miss! I'm told the car was repainted almost immediately after the original owner took delivery (which is an interesting story itself). Original color was Steel Cities gray. Love the wheels... I prefer the straight spokes over the curved spokes of the current Torq Thrust D. Like the side pipes too.

Currently, the body has been prepped and the car is in primer... Waiting in line for a well deserved restoration.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Stan,

Love the blue 'vert, but what's the story on the Dark Metallic Brown, '74 in the background? That's a pretty rare car these days. If you go by the '75 numbers for another strange color, Bright Green, they only sold 1,665 total and I'd imagine, that wouldn't be far off for the DMB cars in '74. If you start adding in options, like Convertible, 454 and 4 speed, you might just have one of a few hundred. I haven't seen a Dark Metallic Brown convertible, yet and have only seen a handful of DMB cars ever.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:59 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Nice pictures, keep them coming :- )
Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by F22
Love the blue 'vert, but what's the story on the Dark Metallic Brown, '74 in the background? That's a pretty rare car these days. If you go by the '75 numbers for another strange color, Bright Green, they only sold 1,665 total and I'd imagine, that wouldn't be far off for the DMB cars in '74. If you start adding in options, like Convertible, 454 and 4 speed, you might just have one of a few hundred. I haven't seen a Dark Metallic Brown convertible, yet and have only seen a handful of DMB cars ever.
The brown '74 is an L-48, 4 speed car with air conditioning. At the time this photo was taken, it had around 13,000 miles (it was a four year old car at this point). My buddy Mike said that he acquired this car, the '71 convertible, and my current '70 coupe within a one month time period... He said something had to go, so he sold the '74. He followed the car for a long time after he sold it and told me he made an offer to buy the car back in the late 1990s (car had around 19,000 miles at that point). He seems to think it is still in the area, though he really hasn't made any effort to find it.

There was a low mileage '74 454, 4 speed coupe that sold near here within the past year. Very original car (paint, interior, etc.) that sold VERY cheap. Still kicking myself for not following up on that.

I like the brown as well as the green in 1975 that you mentioned. Two quick stories...

I have a trim tag that came off of a 1976 that was ordered with that 1975 green (SPEC paint as you would expect). Guy who bought it wanted to get a '75 in that color, but production had ended. He special ordered the '76.

There is a very low mileage 1975 Z-07 convertible painted that bright green... Loaded car, two tops, leather interior, etc. Haven't heard about it in probably twenty years, but it's out there somewhere.

Regards,

Stan

Last edited by Rowdy Rat; 01-06-2016 at 12:40 PM.
F22 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

I would definetly drive a car like the 71 convertible as is in the Picture now a days if the condition Overall would be good. That is pure 70 ****... But the interior would have to be in "normal condition" lol No plush, or button upholstery... But the entire car with the cool rims and sidepipes would have looked also great in Steel Cities gray... But back then that must have been waayyy to conservative )

Regards,

Stan Falenski

Last edited by Alex66; 01-06-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by c3_dk
Nice pictures, keep them coming :- )
Agreed! A buddy of mine has a pic of his 59 with the original owner standing beside back in the day...Need to make a copy of it and post it here.

Last edited by Doughan; 01-06-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:24 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Are you going to have them enhanced any once they are put onto a disc?

Rowdy Rat (01-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 Convertible... "Back in the day"

Old 01-06-2016, 11:42 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

I'll see if I can dig up some photos of my last LT-1... That car had an interesting, owner inspired stripe job done as well!

Regards,

Stan
Old 01-07-2016, 01:09 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
Are you going to have them enhanced any once they are put onto a disc?

You looking for a job?

Seriously, that's some really nice work!

To be honest, most of my photos are 35mm that I shot myself. Most of those are decent quality, a few (like these) aren't quite so nice. It is amazing to see what can be done with them in the right hands.

Is this your profession? Anything in particular I should be looking for in a company that does this work?

Regards,

Stan
Old 01-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Stuff Stan! Thanks for posting, I just love the older pictures.

Quick Reply: 1971 Convertible... "Back in the day"