Sponsored by:

1982 - A/C Blower Motor and fan - C4 set up converted to fit a C3

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:54 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Young
Good call. i was planning on powder coating the outside edge black then brushing Plasti-dip on the sides to make a reusable gasket. I build metric bikes and I've used this technique for a few different projects and it comes out nice. I got the idea from Cometic and applying it to larger items.
Instead of using Plastidip as a gasket I would get a can of that liquid gasket from the auto store and brush it on.

Lot of heat and cooling cycles might not be good on the Plastidip holding up.

Getting some gasket material and just drawing around the adapter and cutting them out was easy.

It is a high pressure box and closing any easy leaks while it is out helps air pressure coming out the vents.

Last edited by minitech; 04-06-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:40 PM
M. Young
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default blower spacer

I finally got around to the spacer. I should have it finished and installed today. Kind of a pain to get the motor out...
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 PM
pharlap
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got around to the spacer. I should have it finished and installed today. Kind of a pain to get the motor out...
can you or anybody for that matter, email me the drawing for the spacer. I could not go to the link where its located or couldn't sign up or it was something to do with me gmail email address I think. I can't remember exactly what the problem was. thanks
teddyrhall@gmail.com
Old 04-19-2016, 12:25 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally received the new blower wheel so why exactly do we need this spacer? I know to take space up but if the newer wheel is larger then wouldn't be the opposite? I don't know just asking before I tear into it. Also I thought I read where someone was going to make a bunch of spacers for members if interested is that still an option?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:43 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
I finally received the new blower wheel so why exactly do we need this spacer? I know to take space up but if the newer wheel is larger then wouldn't be the opposite? I don't know just asking before I tear into it. Also I thought I read where someone was going to make a bunch of spacers for members if interested is that still an option?
you need the spacer because the longer wheel will hit the back of the housing if the motor goes all the way in. ..a 3/8 or 1/2 inch spacer is all you need .. the new wheel has larger vanes and more of them. The difference in volume of air is significant
The following users liked this post:
alconk (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 04:05 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
you need the spacer because the longer wheel will hit the back of the housing if the motor goes all the way in. ..a 3/8 or 1/2 inch spacer is all you need .. the new wheel has larger vanes and more of them. The difference in volume of air is significant
I take it a spacer to slide over a shaft?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 PM
M. Young
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default blower wheel

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
So I made the spacer and installed it, which was a huge pain in the ***. I ended up cutting cork gaskets and using them to seal the spacer. I obviously needed longer screws to mount the motor and spacer too. For the hell of it I bought a new motor from Autozone ($17).

For comparison I installed the old wheel on the new motor and tested the airflow. I don't have any empirical data or anything, just how it felt coming out of the vents... Huge improvement with just the new motor.

The shaft on the new motor was a slightly larger diameter than the C4 wheel so it had to be reamed out. I needed to remove the coolant reservoir and unrivet the heater hoses to get enough space to maneuver the assembly into the space. The dryer got in the way of the blower wheel so I had to put the wheel on the shaft after it was past. I'm a big guy and my hands are not little so this whole process just sucked.

I got it all done and fired up the car and I have to be honest I didn't notice any difference between the two. I double checked the seal on the spacer and motor to the firewall and everything was tight.

So I tore the C4 wheel off and tossed the spacer into the scrap heap and installed the old blower wheel on the new motor.

On the bright side, I cleaned the coolant reservoir out and have shiny new rivets.

My opinion...WASTE OF EFFORT

Last edited by M. Young; 04-21-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:05 PM
pharlap
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my c4 motor and fan in hand now but I would still like to get my hands on the drawing for the spacer. could someone please email me the drawing I was not able to go the site where the drawing is located to get it. thank you much teddyrhall@gmail.com
Old 06-08-2016, 11:56 PM
ex9850
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too would like to get my hands on the template for the spacer. ircriven@yahoo.com
Old 06-09-2016, 12:16 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

This is the template link. But, you must me a member of the vettemod forum. Join and it is yours.

http://www.vettemod.com/forum/downlo...?do=file&id=51
Old 06-09-2016, 12:27 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

So I made the spacer and installed it, which was a huge pain in the ***. I ended up cutting cork gaskets and using them to seal the spacer. I obviously needed longer screws to mount the motor and spacer too. For the hell of it I bought a new motor from Autozone ($17).
Part # for motor, if you don't mind.....thx......Tom
Old 06-09-2016, 10:02 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

For comparison I installed the old wheel on the new motor and tested the airflow. I don't have any empirical data or anything, just how it felt coming out of the vents... Huge improvement with just the new motor.

The shaft on the new motor was a slightly larger diameter than the C4 wheel so it had to be reamed out. I needed to remove the coolant reservoir and unrivet the heater hoses to get enough space to maneuver the assembly into the space. The dryer got in the way of the blower wheel so I had to put the wheel on the shaft after it was past. I'm a big guy and my hands are not little so this whole process just sucked.

I got it all done and fired up the car and I have to be honest I didn't notice any difference between the two. I double checked the seal on the spacer and motor to the firewall and everything was tight.

So I tore the C4 wheel off and tossed the spacer into the scrap heap and installed the old blower wheel on the new motor.

On the bright side, I cleaned the coolant reservoir out and have shiny new rivets.

My opinion...WASTE OF EFFORT
yes it was a P.I.A I did not put in spacer I just put in a new motor and it was suggested to put in a bigger ground wire .I also sealed up the outer case and the air ducts.i have plenty of air.

Quick Reply: 1982 - A/C Blower Motor and fan - C4 set up converted to fit a C3