Sponsored by:

1982 - A/C Blower Motor and fan - C4 set up converted to fit a C3

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 08:48 AM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I would be interested...dependent upon final pricing....
Old 03-27-2016, 08:52 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I used a piece of 3/4" MDF and painted it with Rust Bullet, that stuff dries harder than chinese arithmatic and its waterproof. I would recommend changing the motor while you have it apart, that 30+ year old motor with the cintered bronze bearings was not designed to run that long and a new one will run better. You should not need bigger wires, the current draw is pretty close to the same but it is entirely possible that your ground wire from the ground post on the fiberglass firewall to the real metal ground is weak, go through all that while its apart, not hard at all. That ground sometimes gets compromised or connected wrong when the starter is changed, there are multiple threads about that in here.
The following 2 users liked this post by SIXFOOTER:
pharlap (03-27-2016), Psychovette (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Psychovette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still confused regarding the proper C-4 blower wheel (and or motor) to use on my '79. Some interchange information says that only a 1984-85 unit will work. Others say that 1988-93 blower wheels will work. Which is correct? If I order a 4 seasons blower wheel from Amazon, the site has no information on which applications apply. Does anyone out there know which blower will work on my '79? I'm also planning to make the necessary shims and better ground connections. Access to the blower motor looks really tough on A/C cars. Might need to reach it from under the right front fender while working around the accumulator assembly. I sure don't want to disturb the A/C system! Thanks!

Last edited by Psychovette; 03-27-2016 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Blower motor access
The following users liked this post:
Clai1 (12-10-2022)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:51 AM
M. Young
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SPDL81
I would be interested...dependent upon final pricing....
I'm sure I can get them done fairly cheap. Probably under $30 including shipping. I'll try and find out how much the stock will be later. I have to buy in 12' lengths to get any good deals.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:55 PM
pharlap
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M. Young
I'm sure I can get them done fairly cheap. Probably under $30 including shipping. I'll try and find out how much the stock will be later. I have to buy in 12' lengths to get any good deals.
I would be interested in one if you was to make some in the next few weeks. I'm not in a big hurry to do this up grade, but would like to get it done before it the middle of the summer. I have access to the tools and don't feel like I would have any trouble making the spacer. Having time to do it is my biggest issue, due to my job and the hours I work plus I raise speed racking horses and they take up most of my off time.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:24 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Im interested as well.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Psychovette
I'm still confused regarding the proper C-4 blower wheel (and or motor) to use on my '79. Some interchange information says that only a 1984-85 unit will work. Others say that 1988-93 blower wheels will work. Which is correct? If I order a 4 seasons blower wheel from Amazon, the site has no information on which applications apply. Does anyone out there know which blower will work on my '79? I'm also planning to make the necessary shims and better ground connections. Access to the blower motor looks really tough on A/C cars. Might need to reach it from under the right front fender while working around the accumulator assembly. I sure don't want to disturb the A/C system! Thanks!
Im also a little confused on that, perhaps someone will pist up with exactly what they used...maybe even a link would be helpful.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I used the '84 blower wheel on my '81. The blower motor should be the same for a '79. If you get the later motor ( '84 on) it has different electrical connections I think.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:32 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I printed the drawing off Vettemod and I'm putting it into CAD. I'm going to make one out of aluminum or nylon on the Bridgeport. IF I decide to make some would anyone want one? 1/2 inch thick? You pay for materials and shipping?

-Michael
I'll take one.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:39 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I used the '84 blower wheel on my '81. The blower motor should be the same for a '79. If you get the later motor ( '84 on) it has different electrical connections I think.
I looked the wheel up and it's showing a metal and plastic wheel. What would be correct? Or a GM part # for the wheel.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:15 AM
M. Young
Instructor

Default AC Delco 52460704

This is what I'm using...

AC Delco 52460704
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by M. Young:
alconk (04-01-2016), Psychovette (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Psychovette
Instructor

Nice photo of the blower wheel. Could you supply the actual blower height and width so I can compare it to the wheels listed on Amazon for the 4 season replacements? Has anyone done this conversion on an A/C car? If so, did you have any issues due to cramped space?
Thanks.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

Has anyone done this conversion on an A/C car? If so, did you have any issues due to cramped space?
I did this on my 79 factory AC car Easter Sunday. It was very cramped. Overflow tank must be removed. I had to unbolt my compressor from its bracket for space. Even then it was tight.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

Found this Blower on Ebay. It looks to have a more aggressive fan and is suppose to fit without a spacer. Probably china junk but I do like the shape of those fan blades.

Edit: The more I look at it the more I think its same blades as factor. Hard to tell without a good factor fan pict.

Last edited by Bloodzone; 03-28-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Psychovette (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Psychovette
Instructor

Thanks for the installation info. I can remove the overflow tank and my A/C compressor is an upgraded Sanden unit which looks easier to move than the GM compressor would have been. Short of buying a used C-4 blower motor and wheel assembly, I still have no idea which blower wheel will fit the motor shaft and the air box on my '79.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:17 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I have owned my '72 since '95 and in them years I have done this conversion, using the later C4 motor/fan combo...dun long ago, so it only ran like 40 bux for a new assy, cut out the 3/4 spacer from CDX plywood no biggie, used a C4 connector and heavy ground wire to top of the engine, grounds the wiper motor, high speed relay coil, and of course the blower motor, it's about 8 ga, along with the high speed wire to the high speed relay on top of the a/c housing.....lets just say that install BLOWS!!!

An the accessability thing, I cut out the back section of the fender liner for ease of service, and allowed me to suck the crap/dirt/leaves off the pressure side of the evap coils....reached in with the blower out....

one more trick, my car being a rag top, that silly outside air intake in the same region as the motor, was blocked closed, sealed off completely and the flapper inside was removed also....car on constant recirculation.... even in a FLORIDA H&H SUMMER, with top up, I can remain cool....top up or down!!!!

Psychovette (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Psychovette
Instructor

Thank you mrvette! Exactly the information that I was looking for. I'll go with the entire C-4 blower motor and wheel. The C-4 motor assembly also has a rubber tube to direct air flow directly into the blower motor from the air box. My '79 only has an outlet from the air box directed towards the motor only but not directly connected to it. Not worried about cutting access out of the inner fender either since my car is a LONG way from being original anyway. Just want a nice comfortable cruiser.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 - A/C Blower Motor and fan - C4 set up converted to fit a C3

Old 03-30-2016, 02:53 PM
M. Young
Instructor

Default pics

Originally Posted by Psychovette
Nice photo of the blower wheel. Could you supply the actual blower height and width so I can compare it to the wheels listed on Amazon for the 4 season replacements? Has anyone done this conversion on an A/C car? If so, did you have any issues due to cramped space?
Thanks.
No problem...

I ordered the stock yesterday and the dimensions of the spacer got put into auto-cad today. As soon as I get the stock I'll mill a spacer out and we'll see how it goes.
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2016, 09:06 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't forget to cut a gasket from gasket material from the auto store for both sides of the new spacer. Or use a liquid gasket compound to seal the air flow to the box.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:41 PM
M. Young
Instructor

Default spacer

Originally Posted by minitech
Don't forget to cut a gasket from gasket material from the auto store for both sides of the new spacer. Or use a liquid gasket compound to seal the air flow to the box.
Good call. i was planning on powder coating the outside edge black then brushing Plasti-dip on the sides to make a reusable gasket. I build metric bikes and I've used this technique for a few different projects and it comes out nice. I got the idea from Cometic and applying it to larger items.

Quick Reply: 1982 - A/C Blower Motor and fan - C4 set up converted to fit a C3