Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The future of the NCRS

Old 03-22-2016, 05:13 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Revi
I'm an NCRS member. I drive my 1970 around 2k-4k miles per year (on bias ply tires). It has never been "frame off" or on a trailer. Currently has 105k miles on it. Is has scratches, dent's, paint is a "five footer", looks more like a war wagon.

My car has been Judged five times. Four Chapter, one Regional, and next year the National. It has always been driven to the judging events, anywhere from 50 - 600 miles each way. What my car does have going for it is all of the "correct" parts. So most of my deductions are "condition" points. It's not pretty up close, but still Top Flights.

So, some of us do drive.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I couldn't agree with you more. You are spot on. Most of the guys that I know that used to be all into NCRS and factory correct Corvettes are even starting to gravitate to other cars like Chevelles , Camaros, and Chevy II hardtops because they don't have to be so factory correct to still be in high demand. I remember when the only cars that demanded matching numbers were the Corvettes. With the other cars they didn't care about matching numbers. I just think the demand for factory correct cars are dying off unless it is a rare car. Things seem to be changing more to restomod cars and they are something that you can actually use and have fun with.
Possibly part of the Corvette Restoration decline is this: many of the cars that are/were candidates for a Top Flight or Bloomington Gold restoration (Note, they are different) have already been done and there just isn't the inventory left to continue the interest? Plus like I stated earlier, the age of the people that were interested in the "Older Corvettes" is rising and the numbers of them are dwindling.

I say this with a bit of sarcasm, because every year another model year enters the race, But we are now into the C4's. And as much as that body style appeals to some, I think we can all agree it is one of the least appreciated styles in the current history.

It ends up being, people look for a different route to go, that challenges them and that is where they are drawn to, ie: Chevelle, Mopar, etc...

So we continue to add up the issues, Age, Demographics, Persona, Attitude.

The real question is how do you preserve the original intent without turning it into a "social club"?

Without sounding arrogant, it is not about being social, it is about the Preservation and Restoration of the car, while making friends and being sociable.

The other problem is most of us that are interested in the true meaning of the Organization (it is not a Club) are to particular in our goals for our own good! But we are working on that!

In the last number of years, There has been a lean towards the preservation side and sharing the information rather than just restoration. But again, that is most likely due the the cars that are candidates to be restored to Top Flight Standards.

People that feel the Organization/members are wound too tight I feel just don't really understand the intent. Like I said, it is not a social club, it is a Organization that meets socially.

I hope that more people do become interested in the history of the Corvette and do at least once get involved whether it is as an observer, judge or participant because you will quickly learn what a true goal then honor it is to get a Top Flight. Without having any real statistics, my guess 99% of the owners of the cars involved in NCRS will never reach the Top Flight standard, but that doesn't mean they don't have the exact chance to do so.

NCRS is not a show and shine where only one will win the pretty trophy, in NCRS, EVERYONE has the same chance to be judged and get the pretty ribbon. I think it would be fantastic if at every meet every person achieved a Top Flight!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:39 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,389 Likes on 681 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bajaholic
Possibly part of the Corvette Restoration decline is this: many of the cars that are/were candidates for a Top Flight or Bloomington Gold restoration (Note, they are different) have already been done and there just isn't the inventory left to continue the interest? Plus like I stated earlier, the age of the people that were interested in the "Older Corvettes" is rising and the numbers of them are dwindling.

I say this with a bit of sarcasm, because every year another model year enters the race, But we are now into the C4's. And as much as that body style appeals to some, I think we can all agree it is one of the least appreciated styles in the current history.

It ends up being, people look for a different route to go, that challenges them and that is where they are drawn to, ie: Chevelle, Mopar, etc...

So we continue to add up the issues, Age, Demographics, Persona, Attitude.

The real question is how do you preserve the original intent without turning it into a "social club"?

Without sounding arrogant, it is not about being social, it is about the Preservation and Restoration of the car, while making friends and being sociable.

The other problem is most of us that are interested in the true meaning of the Organization (it is not a Club) are to particular in our goals for our own good! But we are working on that!

In the last number of years, There has been a lean towards the preservation side and sharing the information rather than just restoration. But again, that is most likely due the the cars that are candidates to be restored to Top Flight Standards.

People that feel the Organization/members are wound too tight I feel just don't really understand the intent. Like I said, it is not a social club, it is a Organization that meets socially.

I hope that more people do become interested in the history of the Corvette and do at least once get involved whether it is as an observer, judge or participant because you will quickly learn what a true goal then honor it is to get a Top Flight. Without having any real statistics, my guess 99% of the owners of the cars involved in NCRS will never reach the Top Flight standard, but that doesn't mean they don't have the exact chance to do so.

NCRS is not a show and shine where only one will win the pretty trophy, in NCRS, EVERYONE has the same chance to be judged and get the pretty ribbon. I think it would be fantastic if at every meet every person achieved a Top Flight!
I would agree with much of this, except I think the inventory of cars that can be Top Flight is not limited or exhausted. I am continually amazed at the cars that come out of the woodwork at chapter, regional, and nationals. I found a '64 that had earned a Duntov in 1993 hidden away for 20 years, and took it back through, though much had changed in the judging world and much needed to be done to get it back near Duntov. I also found another '64 hidden away in a garage for 30+ years that I can easily bring to Top Flight standards, and even a 5000 mile 1981 that had never been touched, hidden away and easily ready for Bowtie judging. So they are there, what is not there is more people like me who want to put up with it all and go through the process, there is the short supply.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

If you are highly opinionated regarding the NCRS, you should really look at Bloomington Gold and what that organization represents. They are a 'for profit' organization and it shows...
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

I've been a member of the NCRS for only a few years, attended my first national convention last year in Denver. People I met there were friendly, encouraging if I am interested in pursuing restoration to "typical factory" build, though not insisting I must do so. I find their openness, adherence to a standard to be refreshing, not subject to financial concerns or exclusion of certain groups based on pedigree. Any Corvette can do well in judging, even a NOM, so long as the car fits the standard of being as typical factory built.

For some, factory built isn't their cup of tea. The NCRS wouldn't be of interest. Myself, I am not a purist but appreciate the work these people do to restore their cars to original configuration, allowing me to look them over, see where mine differs, what was changed. I then decide if I care to invest in restoring portions of my car to factory standard or just let it go. The NCRS for me is a good resource to consult from time to time.

Someone mentioned a category for being brought back from the dead. The NCRS doesn't require strict originality as the collector crowd does. It's quite possible to bring a car back from the dead, restore to factory original configuration if that's what the owner wants to do. It's not possible for bring a car back from the dead to having all originally installed parts, especially the engine block, as the collector crowd requires. I've never understood how the two groups became synonymous.

We'll see if new blood joins the NCRS or if the organization fades over time. As some have noted, tastes change over time. TBD if a high level of interest in factory original Corvettes is sustained.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:54 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill
If you are highly opinionated regarding the NCRS, you should really look at Bloomington Gold and what that organization represents. They are a 'for profit' organization and it shows...

Great point. Over the years I have gotten into the habit of referring to "NCRS" as a generic term for "stock/correct" and found myself in debates regarding the organization and its workings as opposed to the service they provide. (And make no mistake, NCRS has provided an amazing reference source for us all these years)

I was involved with Bloomington Gold for almost 20 years and I've always been impressed with what Dave & Company have accomplished. A fine organization.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:41 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,389 Likes on 681 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

Great point. Over the years I have gotten into the habit of referring to "NCRS" as a generic term for "stock/correct" and found myself in debates regarding the organization and its workings as opposed to the service they provide. (And make no mistake, NCRS has provided an amazing reference source for us all these years)

I was involved with Bloomington Gold for almost 20 years and I've always been impressed with what Dave & Company have accomplished. A fine organization.
I looked into Bloomington, and have always declined to go. And compared to NCRS, there is no comparison. Bloomington is just a one shot annual judging venue, they provide no support, no chapter/regional organizational structure, no documentation, no manuals/info, etc. for Corvette enthusiasts. And if it weren't for NCRS, they would have no judges who know anything about the cars. It is like the meet in Chicago each year, just an event.

Last edited by mikelj; 03-23-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:38 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

As an outsider, I can say why I'm not interested in NCRS... but it's truly my opinion, and while you're welcome to argue about it, it's mine and you can't have it.

NCRS suffers from 2 things: 1) fanboys, and 2) hatred of teacher's pets. Fanboys are the ones that come onto someone's build blog and complain that they aren't preserving the 81, 305 powered Corvette. Never mind that the poor guy got a shell, 3 tires, and one bucket seat. To hear some tell, they've committed the world's worst crime by building their Corvette to anything but awful factory specs. I swear that NCRS should down-judge C3s that don't have terrible welds on the cross members ... but I digress...
2) hatred of teacher's pets. There was a guy on here who illustrated this perfectly. He wanted a Black, 68-72 C3, 427 in Top Flight shape. What he really wanted was a car that cannot possibly exist. He managed to **** off even the Judges with his attitude. He eventually found a car that had a few flaws, but he overcame that by getting so mad that I think he simply gave up and bought any car....Problem is - he's the one that goes to shows with his flawless car and utterly derides the guy who pulled his 81 back from the brink and had the audacity to not use GM correct vacuum hoses. Poor guy with the 81 now has no idea why this guy has such hatred of him and his car, but gets so school in "proper" restoration that mere mention of the letters NCRS break him out into hives.

At some point people who drove and raced Corvettes let in guys who "preserve" Corvettes... I'm sure they comforted themselves with the idea that they were being sure the entire history was being told. Problem is those who lawn-chair, not race, are the ones telling the history and their attitude, behavior, and coldness put everyone else off their lunch.

my opinion is pretty clear - but here it is again. They're cars, very neat cars, but cars. We built them once, we built them again. Anyone who loves the breed should be encouraged to stay in the fold; anyone who gets anything less than gold should, of course, be taken out and shot. I know, harsh, but what good are the other levels? History is preserved at gold, jackasses are created at the lower, more pedestrian levels.

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 03-23-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

I didn't think I would bother saying a word in this thread but i'm bored,

I walk onto this thin ice slowly and carefully I know some are just aching to get offended with me.

I had a "not correctly restored stingray" parody logo in my sig it's gone, why? it offended and upset NCRS fellows, it wasn't meant as a poke at them but rather a poke at myself because my car isn't correctly restored but will be restored to in many way better than it was in 69, but in an act of friendship and car camaraderie I removed it, of course I still get trashed for ruining a corvette by some.

Like mentioned "NCRS" to many means "stock/correct" it did/does to me, and I use it as such, but NCRS as an organization is not it's members or at least not responsible for what members do, sure some trash those of us who build our cars our way but many people who trash the guy who builds his car his way are not involved in the NCRS they do not always own bone stockers themselves, fact is far more c3's are not bone stock and perfect ncrs bone stock isn't the most popular way to build them...( remember my poll that proved that )
Many purists do not like that, but remember just because you met a snob or jerk who was in the NCRS not all are and most TACOs telling us how to build are cars have zero to do with NCRS.

Telling the NCRS to start allowing mods is like telling me to use GM vacuum lines etc, it's their club/organization let them run it their way, why should they sell out and allow mods, oh, because if they don't change with the times with the trend that modified c3's are the most popular they might die off, then at least they tried to do it their way, they had a long wonderful run and helped the hobby big time.

I have been hearing the ncrs shows are not what they were years ago, and that is also sad for the cool cats the nice fellows who happen to dig bone stock cars but do not preach how I should build mine and do not bray how I ruined a vette.

If the original grand poobahs of the NCRS can not make it work or are just done and burnt out that is okay, they should pass the torch to some cat who can keep it going in the way the members desire it to be.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Telling the NCRS to start allowing mods is like telling me to use GM vacuum lines etc, it's their club/organization let them run it their way, why should they sell out and allow mods, oh, because if they don't change with the times with the trend that modified c3's are the most popular they might die off, then at least they tried to do it their way, they had a long wonderful run and helped the hobby big time.

I have been hearing the ncrs shows are not what they were years ago, and that is also sad for the cool cats the nice fellows who happen to dig bone stock cars but do not preach how I should build mine and do not bray how I ruined a vette.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:25 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
While we're are entitled to our opinions, this thread is about the future of the NCRS. If you have any suggestions to improve things, I'd like to hear them.

Let's keep the thread on track.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

War bonnet,
a thread like this is gonna go the way it is going, too many of us modder have been belittled and ridiculed for our builds and I have been guilty years ago of thinking that if a guy is trying to prove to me how big a horsesass he is by telling me how to build my car that mods are wrong that he MUST be an NCRS member, that is simply NOT true,
run through threads posted on here for no other reason than to bash a car 9 out of 10 times the cat posting it has a modded car and is simply jealous of the car he posted to bash but he isn't involved in the NCRS,
People need to understand that just because someone is a jerk that doesn't mean they are NCRS and do not group them that way and offend members of the NCRS who are cool cats.....doing their build their way and do not care how we do ours.

Sorry of off tracking but you saw what I said about the future of NCRS....pass the torch....
Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 255 Posts

It comes to this......on one side you have a group of guys who build the cars BETTER than GM did, the way I did it, and this includes people who modify the cars to suit them. This group does NOT sit around and judge the NCRS types for their little club, but when it comes to the other way around, we know different. That's the problem and it tends to get under peoples skin.
You need to look in a mirror.

Stan
Old 03-23-2016, 07:43 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Bats, you are right. Not everyone who criticizes people's choices in building their own cars is a NCRS member.
relax...you are stereotyping and slamming the NCRS pretty hard with what they should or shouldnt do isnt that what you dislike being done to you?
Old 03-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,397 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Mirror

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
You need to look in a mirror.

Stan
OK, I just went in and looked in the mirror...!! I feel so ashamed. I deleted all my messages and will spend rest of my day crying.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 03-23-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:59 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

I was involved in ISCA in the mid 80's my '65 placed #2 in points standing both in '86 and '87 under conservative sports.

The car was basically wrong in every way possible to be judged in NCRS, but it won a storage room full of trophy's.

I had joined NCRS in '83 but never intended on restoring the 65 to a Top Flight, it really wasn't my interest at that time, but I appreciated and respected those that did.

Then came the mid 90's, I acquired a '66 Cpe, 427, 425hp w/Muncie Trans. It was "all there" and put me in the running to get the Top Flight. The journey began. This lasted a number of years and It finally achieved the level I wanted. The pretty Ribbon.

And just to clarify: Winning a trophy with a Top Fight car at an ISCA show is just as difficult as achieving a Top flight with a ISCA car.

Along the way, I never lost my yearn for the customized, and worked VERY hard to get the Ribbon. All while working with some of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met. And the interesting thing about them, is in almost every case they too had a garage full of customized vehicles and they too enjoyed the challenge of a Restoration.

I say this so you realize, We are all not that different. Just different goals and working to achieve them in different ways. If you have been cut down by the Know it all, Likely that person has never owned a Corvette anyway....

NCRS is not for everyone, as is ISCA, NCCC, or any of the other organizations out there. That is why they all exist. It is like watching TV, if you are offended by one show, change the channel, just leave those that do like it to themselves, you aren't enjoying it anyway.

The future of NCRS, is keeping people interested in Restoration of older cars and understanding why the strict principals must be kept and achieved to protect the integrity of the history.

Mark my words in 30 years, people will be looking for the Z06, and ZR1 models to restore like we are looking for the Midyears... And because so many have messed with them, driven the **** out of them, it will be like looking in a mirror to the past. Just like today...

So Please customize all you want, drive them to death, we'll be waiting for the good deal with strong bones...
Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The original intent of NCRS was a good objecctive/goal. But, over the years, it seems to have acquired almost a 'cult' status: either you are IN to the point of restoring your car to well beyond a newly purchased C3's actual conditon and to buying into ONLY the part dogma documented by NCRS experts; or you are OUT. Of course you can join NCRS and go to events, etc without getting that deeply involved. Certainly their documentation is a decent "reference" for what is believed to be how the cars were actually produced, and those are very useful. But, their rigidity on what MUST be present...even to the exclusion of real car history or sometimes, basic common sense....is a definite turn-off for me and many others.

If NCRS restructures....and they can find some good and REASONABLE folks {I'm sure there are many within the club--but maybe not in the "inner circle"} to provide needed leadership, that group might actually turn out to be better for the rank and file membership.

I do wish those who are presently NCRS members that things go well in the future. I also encourage them to do their part in doing whatever is needed to get the 'wrinkles' ironed out.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-23-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The future of the NCRS

Old 03-23-2016, 09:29 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

I wonder if this is a Regional/Chapter thing? The Chapter I participated in was quite the opposite they took in everyone and tried to educate rather than preach.

We were involved in Chapter Meets, where the emphasis was on education and also participated in a couple of Regional events. Again, for those involved it was more educational than preaching.

That is not to say, those that paid to get their car judged didn't get the best possible detail we could give them. This is generally a guide to what needs to be done in accordance to the Manuel to reach the "Top Flight"

The manuals are well documented from build sheets, part's avail-abilities, including manufacturers etc and build times. There has been great car to make them as accurate as possible. So if you have proof that something specifically came different that what the Manuel shows, it has always been encouraged to share so it can be included.

I can tell you, that dealer installed changes do not fit the Factory Original bill. But again.... having a window sticker, build sheet or documented proof of a specific thing will help in judging.

Remember, the car does NOT have to be 100% perfect to get a top flight. and parts are more important than condition.

I feel it is just as important to have an open mind on both sides, for us, education was the key, for those checking it out, I can understand how it could look "over the top" but that is what it is about... And learning what it takes to get there is not a cut down, but a step towards achieving that goal should you like to try it.

If you have only been involved in area where education is not the key, travel to a different Chapter or visit a different regional, and I feel you will see a difference.

JUST DON'T expect anything other than total stress in the judging area, because those that are attempting a goal of Top Flight, may be seeing years of hard work being judged and there will be nervous people... Sort of like standing at the show and shine when there is 10+ cars in your class all hoping for that shiny piece of plastic to take home with them... However.... If you want to learn, be a spectator or get involved in helping the judges etc.... It is a learning experience you will quickly learn to appreciate.

Last edited by Bajaholic; 03-23-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

I must say these last few comments mirror our present society's "ignorance" to seeing that, all our blood is red.....

It is also interesting to note, the passion that's displayed by many posts about a four wheeled, man made, object.

There must be a United States of America, the best country in the world, just the same as there must be an authoritative organization for objects that mean so much, to so many.

Without such a thing, the past would or could be lost forever.....
Old 03-23-2016, 10:22 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
I looked into Bloomington, and have always declined to go. And compared to NCRS, there is no comparison. Bloomington is just a one shot annual judging venue, they provide no support, no chapter/regional organizational structure, no documentation, no manuals/info, etc. for Corvette enthusiasts. And if it weren't for NCRS, they would have no judges who know anything about the cars. It is like the meet in Chicago each year, just an event.
No one is comparing the two; they are completely different groups. Gold Certification and Survivor, of course, have been annual events (GC since the 70's) and no one's saying they provide what NCRS does. However, Gold Certification and Survivor judging is not "just an event." I'll politely disagree about the judges not knowing anything without NCRS and leave it at that. I'll also mention BG hasnt been in the Chicago area since 2012.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 03-23-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The future of the NCRS