Sponsored by:

US West Road Trip in a 69 from Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:06 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Please have this thread locked.....and delete this post.........

Your last pic ended the adventure perfectly!!!!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:24 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Please have this thread locked.....and delete this post.........

Your last pic ended the adventure perfectly!!!!
This was an AMAZING adventure! & thanks for sharing
Old 06-27-2016, 08:24 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Yes, thank you!
Old 08-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Wait up guys, before you have it closed, may I post one last thing? Even though we focused on taking pictures, a few minutes of video got taken as well. Enjoy and I can't say it often enough: Thank you all for the support, encouragement and comments we got. You are the best.

Martin and Kate

The following users liked this post:
C5 4me (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 02:36 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

It was great meeting you both,1 of the highlight's of this summer!
Yankeededandy (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 04:58 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Martin and Kate, Great Video! Your car sounds fantastic, glad you had a good time.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Great video too!
Old 09-04-2023, 08:21 AM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just logged in. My last login was 4/2015. Wow, interesting to see this thread progressed in my absence.

Well, life indeed got in the way. I sold the vet as a basket case; my daughter completely changed my life and I lost interest in it. I ended up getting into motorcycles, and have mostly been able to keep one of those around since she came along. But here I am a lot older and looking to buy another C3. I miss the 69, but this time I am planning on treating myself to a convertible. I showed some pictures to my daughter and she has already given me approval to buy one, so I am on the hunt (near Charlotte NC). Great to see everyone again.
Rescue Rogers (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 01:08 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 431 Likes on 258 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by corvettecris
I just logged in. My last login was 4/2015. Wow, interesting to see this thread progressed in my absence.

Well, life indeed got in the way. I sold the vet as a basket case; my daughter completely changed my life and I lost interest in it. I ended up getting into motorcycles, and have mostly been able to keep one of those around since she came along. But here I am a lot older and looking to buy another C3. I miss the 69, but this time I am planning on treating myself to a convertible. I showed some pictures to my daughter and she has already given me approval to buy one, so I am on the hunt (near Charlotte NC). Great to see everyone again.
First time i'm seeing it as well. Unbelievable, amazing, and a lot bigger ***** then me for sure. I would worry about parking spots, breaking down, poor roads, terrible weather, and running out of gas in the middle of the desert. What a great accomplishment, i'm JEALOUS. Out of curiosity, what did that all cost excluding the shipping ? Gas, tolls, hotels etc, i'm blown away by this adventure & photo time line. KUDOS to you both, what a great experience. You rock !!!
Old 09-05-2023, 02:51 AM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Hi guys,
Can't believe it's been 7 years now. The Corvette is no longer; it got too cramped in there after we got a dog and stuffing luggage was always a challenge for these long trips - it's a 70 Buick Electra 225 convertible now and that's why you haven't seen any more posts by me on this forum.
It's nice to see that even after all this time, folks seem to enjoy the story.
I don't really remember the detailed cost of the trip. It obviously wasn't cheap even back then before Corona and Ukraine. Hotels and AirBnBs were between 100 and 150 an night, sometimes more. It's one of those things were I tend to spend a little more than average. To put it simple: It keeps my wife happy, especially after a day standing on the side of the road, while I'm trying to fix the ignition, exhaust and other small nuisances . The same goes for food. We always got a decent breakfast, skipped lunch most of the time and had a nice dinner, while reviewing the day and the pictures.
We had two big breakdowns: twice because of a throw out bearing of the clutch plus the clutch itself. That alone was in the 2000 dollars ball park, plus rental car cost while waiting etc. For the rest, you can do the math. We were 5 weeks on the road, 4500 miles, roughly 15 mpg premium fuel, you'll figure it out.
It was worth every single cent!! Still hoping I can do it again in another part of the US after I retire in 2025.
Cheers, greetings from Switzerland, Martin

The following 3 users liked this post by Yankeededandy:
Rescue Rogers (09-05-2023), sw69vette (09-05-2023), Tom69 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 01:27 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 431 Likes on 258 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Yankeededandy
Hi guys,
Can't believe it's been 7 years now. The Corvette is no longer; it got too cramped in there after we got a dog and stuffing luggage was always a challenge for these long trips - it's a 70 Buick Electra 225 convertible now and that's why you haven't seen any more posts by me on this forum.
It's nice to see that even after all this time, folks seem to enjoy the story.
I don't really remember the detailed cost of the trip. It obviously wasn't cheap even back then before Corona and Ukraine. Hotels and AirBnBs were between 100 and 150 an night, sometimes more. It's one of those things were I tend to spend a little more than average. To put it simple: It keeps my wife happy, especially after a day standing on the side of the road, while I'm trying to fix the ignition, exhaust and other small nuisances . The same goes for food. We always got a decent breakfast, skipped lunch most of the time and had a nice dinner, while reviewing the day and the pictures.
We had two big breakdowns: twice because of a throw out bearing of the clutch plus the clutch itself. That alone was in the 2000 dollars ball park, plus rental car cost while waiting etc. For the rest, you can do the math. We were 5 weeks on the road, 4500 miles, roughly 15 mpg premium fuel, you'll figure it out.
It was worth every single cent!! Still hoping I can do it again in another part of the US after I retire in 2025.
Cheers, greetings from Switzerland, Martin
Well, thanks for the update. Thanks for visiting. Sorry to see you go. I enjoyed your VETTE TRAVEL DIARY !!!
Old 09-05-2023, 01:41 PM
Boswell
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Martin,
Beautiful Buick! When this thread was resurrected I too could not believe its been 7 years. My wife and I were privileged to have you stop by our Oregon Coast home for a quick rest and lunch. We all got to live vicariously through your generosity in taking time to share the adventure.
Thanks again for sharing your story!
All the best,
Norm
Yankeededandy (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 04:59 AM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Hi Norm
It's so great to hear from you again. Kate and I think back very fondly on our our meeting that afternoon. I feel kind of bad having been out of touch since then. I'll shoot you a message and maybe we can reconnect at least through the virtues of the www until we have an opportunity to make it back to the westcoast.

Cheers, Martin

Quick Reply: US West Road Trip in a 69 from Switzerland