Sponsored by:

1979 L-82, no power to locks, radio, a/c controls or fan blower

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 05:06 PM
79moneypit
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 L-82, no power to locks, radio, a/c controls or fan blower

I have a 1979 L-82 with an electrical problem. Some things work, some things don't. Headlights, hazards, turn signals, rear defrost, windows and wipers all work. Radio, a/c control, fan/blower and power locks do not work. I have verified all the fuses are fine, the battery cables have both been replaced and the battery is new. I'm struggling to figure this out. Any suggestions that someone could provide would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 04-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Psychovette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar problem except when I turn on the headlights, my gauges quit working on my '79. I've been told that it's a problem with lack of proper electrical grounding causing this. Worked long hours cleaning and checking ground straps and cables but no luck so far.
See my post "Headlights Work Gauges Don't." I'm still hoping for another idea to stop this weirdness. Good luck. Hope you find the problem. Maybe your '79 has a bad ground.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:01 PM
79moneypit
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested the plug at the radio, using the yellow wire and the black ground wire, I get 12V on the volt meter. I have two good radios and neither one of them will turn on or do anything when plugged into the car. Thanks for the advice though, I'll keep testing grounds.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:56 PM
standswithabeer
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

looks like about 100 views and no help as yet, i'll jump in even tho it may/may not help. i have a 79 also, in which i had to trouble-shoot/replace the dead radio when i first got her and did some trouble-shooting on my doorlocks last winter. i believe i have a dead actuator one side and bad pigtail on the other. on the plus side, the power windows now zoom up and down, the outside door handles open using just a finger (not both hands) and door keyed locks work easily. i can lock my car now, even though in VT i never do. anyhow ............

have any of these functions ever worked and now don't, or is this a new-to-you car?

at the radio connector, can you confirm that the black wire has continuity to ground?

for the fan/blower, can you confirm power at the fusebox? also, on my car the fuse connector is wonky. if i wiggle the fan/blower fuse just a bit wth the igniton on i can hear the blower turn on/shut off. it's fine for now and as such hasn't risen to the top of the "to-do" list. i've sanded the connection without improvement so i'm gonna leave it - the access is terrible. anyhow, maybe you have the same thing?

on the power locks, both locks are grounded on the right door panel. maybe you could check/sand that. the thread below helped a lot in trouble-shooting. especially the pic on how/where to check for power, near the end of the post.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-wiring.html

that's prob all i can offer, good luck!
bobp

Last edited by standswithabeer; 04-18-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 PM
rastafford3164
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Somebody more knowledgable than me can chime in, but iirc, if 1 power door lock doesn't work, neither on will. Pull the door panels and check the power to the switches, and after that to the actuators. I had 1 switch and both actuators bad. For the blower, have you checked the connector under the hood on top of the air box? Mine has a bad habit of not staying tight, then, no blower. I have an 81, so some of this may not be exactly the same. Goof luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 L-82, no power to locks, radio, a/c controls or fan blower

Quick Reply: 1979 L-82, no power to locks, radio, a/c controls or fan blower