Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheels, what do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 01:28 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Default Steering Wheels, what do you use?

Well, my flaming river column came in, now I need to pick out a wheel / hub combo.

Being that the car is nowhere near stock any longer I am considering upgrading to something. What all have you guys found that looks cool and unique?

Cheers.

I kind of like the flaming river D wheel and the flaming river waterfall. But I am certainly open to going with any other manufacturer.

D - Wheel

Waterfall Wheel

Last edited by ElCid79; 05-21-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:18 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I use a stock wheel. Neither of those wheels demonstrates that you have good taste (which you obviously do, since you have a C3). I'd recommend something more period, like a Momo Prototipo.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I went w/ period correct look- also wanted a wheel that was not quite as big in diameter- and has less of a dish so it's a little less too close....

A little more than $20 I was able to fit it. There are several companies w/ hubs to adapt- but most were well over a $100- and made the wheel look like an add-on.

Here's what I did-

MOMO steering wheels are 6 bolt 70mm PCD(pitch circle diameter) the Corvette is 2 3/4"- which is VERY close to 70mm.

The Nardi is 74mm- so I bought a billet adapter Nardi to MOMO. It worked great!!!

SO- if you don't have tilt/tele (haven't had a chance to research that yet) a MOMO 70mm PCD 6 bolt - will bolt right on- but might have to do a little mod on the horn. Making a simple spacer you keep you from having to mod the hub.

I did mill down my hub- as it has the notch in it-about 1/8" for a third of the wheel.

Countersunk the steering wheel-

The horn took some work...I milled into the billet adapter to flush the horn insert. I thought it would be a great idea to just move it where it would have been easier-BUT realized the the button is located by the mount.

When you bolt down the wheel is presses it in place-

Here's the finished product- the button almost covers the screws..still going to work on finding a tele button- as it's just a bit bigger. I will also have to shave some off the bottom of the horn button- as the new steering wheel is thicker.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Long about '88 I was with my redneck buddies in hipys junkyard and a wrecked dodge custom van was there, it had sweet 10" aluminum slots and the weirdness down right tacky coolest steering wheel I ever seen,

Hipy said 5.00 if I pulled it without damage to the column, easy-o,
When I got my 66 a wild custom it had the stock wheel, way skinny way big and I hated the feel, I sold it to a fellow who was restoring a 66 and wanted it really badly I though I saw a tear run down his check when I gave it to him for picking up the check at our pizza dinner,

So I slapped on a generic racing wheel I had laying around and ran that for several weeks but One of the gang, joker says why don't you run that stop sign wheel, since I already had that old 3 bolt grant adaptor in place I slapped in on in less than 15 minutes...it was so out of place almost a turd in a punchbowl, but I loved the feel it had,

To seal the deal this is the wheel that upset a purist so badly at oldtown he was almost thrown out...when I swapped the 66 I kept the wheel it hung on the wall for years, then packed away, my wife came across it and I told her the story I just shared, she said it's weird it's wild you gotta put it in the 69 at the very least for sentimental sake,

So I will be doing just that...anyone want an original 69 steering wheel...

Oh, I guess you are wondering what in the world this aftermarket wheel looks like,
Here is it, this picture is the very same one I have...

Warned ya didn't I.....
Old 05-22-2016, 03:58 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Originally Posted by rcread
I use a stock wheel. Neither of those wheels demonstrates that you have good taste (which you obviously do, since you have a C3). I'd recommend something more period, like a Momo Prototipo.
HAHA
Old 05-22-2016, 04:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by ElCid79
HAHA
If you want bad taste get one like mine....
Old 05-22-2016, 04:21 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

i have a billet, wheel all alu on the back and leather in front, think it looks great
Old 05-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Original thin and slippery 1974 wheel is now padded and covered in leather. My thanks to Chuck Pelton.

Last edited by Paul L; 05-22-2016 at 04:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CraigH (05-27-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 07:49 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Originally Posted by stingraymaniac

i have a billet, wheel all alu on the back and leather in front, think it looks great
Who made that?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:49 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Originally Posted by paul 74
Original thin and slippery 1974 wheel is now padded and covered in leather. My thanks to Chuck Pelton.

This looks way nicer than the 79 design. It was pretty bad. plus mine was all moldy.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:34 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Who made that?
Don't remember, I bought it of eBay a couple of years ago.
Do a search on billet steering wheel
Old 05-23-2016, 07:48 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Well, my flaming river column came in, now I need to pick out a wheel / hub combo.

Being that the car is nowhere near stock any longer I am considering upgrading to something. What all have you guys found that looks cool and unique?

Cheers.

I kind of like the flaming river D wheel and the flaming river waterfall. But I am certainly open to going with any other manufacturer.

D - Wheel

Waterfall Wheel
Simple and cheap
Old 05-23-2016, 07:31 PM
PHLGUZZ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Got it on line. Smaller diameter and no dish !

Old 05-24-2016, 08:51 AM
vette_20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks way nicer than the 79 design. It was pretty bad. plus mine was all moldy.
exactly what I did to my wheel here in Aust as I have oxblood interior,looks cool
Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

What about either of these? Except Black leather with the Chevrolet logo in the hub.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:10 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

My '72 ditched the old bus driver wheel, along with the fixed column about '95 or so, stock late shark TT column and wheel, wheel wrapped with one of them lace over cheep kits, larger diameter makes it easy on my hands....the shorter column was backed off the firewall about 3/4 inch...reversing the aluminum mount tabs on the dash flange....I have the illegal (Nader said so) chrome horn/Tele ring from a '77...snicker...

ditched the old toe dimmer sw. for the one on the column....

later on here in Florida, winter 01-02 I put in rack steering, and so moved the firewall forward about 3" worth and glassed it in....dropping my knees off the wheel, lowered the seat a couple inches also....6'5" here, need the room at age 72.....

I still think my setup looks better than any aftermarket wheel...and it's comfy with GRIP on the wheel, no slippy/slidy crap, I drive in the James Dean slouch position, left hand on wheel at 11-12 o'clock....

BTW I have a old OEM late shark wheel in decent shape, some dryness on the leather up top for sale......

Last edited by mrvette; 05-26-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:37 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrvette
My '72 ditched the old bus driver wheel, along with the fixed column about '95 or so, stock late shark TT column and wheel, wheel wrapped with one of them lace over cheep kits, larger diameter makes it easy on my hands....the shorter column was backed off the firewall about 3/4 inch...reversing the aluminum mount tabs on the dash flange....I have the illegal (Nader said so) chrome horn/Tele ring from a '77...snicker...

ditched the old toe dimmer sw. for the one on the column....

later on here in Florida, winter 01-02 I put in rack steering, and so moved the firewall forward about 3" worth and glassed it in....dropping my knees off the wheel, lowered the seat a couple inches also....6'5" here, need the room at age 72.....

I still think my setup looks better than any aftermarket wheel...and it's comfy with GRIP on the wheel, no slippy/slidy crap, I drive in the James Dean slouch position, left hand on wheel at 11-12 o'clock....

BTW I have a old OEM late shark wheel in decent shape, some dryness on the leather up top for sale......
I think I have that not chrome but a semi polished aluminum look came on a 77 column I parted out or something still got that wheel some where,
so how hard do I have to beg to get you to post interior pictures...

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheels, what do you use?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:51 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I think I have that not chrome but a semi polished aluminum look came on a 77 column I parted out or something still got that wheel some where,
I carry a flip phone, wifey poo takes the pix, the batteries to my SLR died some years ago....so hang on man....not an issue....

mrvette-72@att.net send me an email so I don't forget to remember.....

GENE
Old 05-26-2016, 11:02 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I had looked at doing a later C4 column- especially since I was looking for a way/place to mount my delay/wiper set-up... but decided just to put the wiper/delay where the key is on the C3 column- since I'm going w/ push-button start...

Here's a thread I had saved on it-

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-into-c3.html

And here's a PDF on the C4 column

http://dankai.shawwebspace.ca/asset/...ing_column.pdf

Last edited by Richard454; 05-26-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:13 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Long about '88 I was with my redneck buddies in hipys junkyard and a wrecked dodge custom van was there, it had sweet 10" aluminum slots and the weirdness down right tacky coolest steering wheel I ever seen,

Hipy said 5.00 if I pulled it without damage to the column, easy-o,
When I got my 66 a wild custom it had the stock wheel, way skinny way big and I hated the feel, I sold it to a fellow who was restoring a 66 and wanted it really badly I though I saw a tear run down his check when I gave it to him for picking up the check at our pizza dinner,

So I slapped on a generic racing wheel I had laying around and ran that for several weeks but One of the gang, joker says why don't you run that stop sign wheel, since I already had that old 3 bolt grant adaptor in place I slapped in on in less than 15 minutes...it was so out of place almost a turd in a punchbowl, but I loved the feel it had,

To seal the deal this is the wheel that upset a purist so badly at oldtown he was almost thrown out...when I swapped the 66 I kept the wheel it hung on the wall for years, then packed away, my wife came across it and I told her the story I just shared, she said it's weird it's wild you gotta put it in the 69 at the very least for sentimental sake,

So I will be doing just that...anyone want an original 69 steering wheel...

Oh, I guess you are wondering what in the world this aftermarket wheel looks like,
Here is it, this picture is the very same one I have...

Warned ya didn't I.....
Just needs a big spinner **** to top it off........

Last edited by bmans vette; 05-27-2016 at 01:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheels, what do you use?