Tumbler Parts Cleaning and Repurposing

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:41 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Tumbler Parts Cleaning and Repurposing

I have told a few other forum members about this which I learned from another forum member some time back and I wanted to share it openly here.

I purchased a Harbor Freight two container tumbling system (called a rock tumbler) and I have been using it to clean up rust old nuts, bolts, and smaller brackets from the various cars I have had in the past couple of years. I use the green ceramic media that you also can get from harbor freight to knock the rust off. If the parts are really greasy I put some simple green in with the tumbler media and the parts come out clean and degreased. I have also used black beauty sandblasting media when I want to cut through tough rust and I have used glass beads as well to get a polished affect. Play with it and see what you like best for your applications.

After tumbling them to a near new finish I clear the threads with a tap and die tool (bought from harbor freight too) and they are then ready to go back into service. To prevent them from rusting out quickly again I hit them with a clear coat Rustoleum after installation and they last a long, long, long time.

I just sent 20 old lug nuts that went through this process to another forum member and they were delighted to get them. I have used this method on distributor hold down brackets, half shaft mounting hardware, emergency brake frame brackets, steering box bolts, headlight assembly bolts and shafts and springs, and much more.

The key is not to overload the tumbler, rather a smaller load will get you better results and then turn it on and let it run.

I hope you find this helpful. PM or write if you have comments or questions on this, be glad to help if I can. Happy restoring and best regards,

David Howard
AllC34Me
The following 3 users liked this post by AllC34Me:
Andy Tuttle (01-05-2017), bmans vette (11-10-2016), Skybolt (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 11:19 AM
maverickmk
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 186 Posts

I bought one a while back because of one of your posts about cleaning some parts with it. Works like a champ! Thanks for the tips, I appreciate them.

(I'm still waiting for the "free LS motor" thread )
Old 06-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by maverickmk
I bought one a while back because of one of your posts about cleaning some parts with it. Works like a champ! Thanks for the tips, I appreciate them.

(I'm still waiting for the "free LS motor" thread )
You missed that thread, I got mine.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Skybolt
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for your post, great idea with the clear paint!
Old 06-03-2016, 12:53 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Almost all of my valuable free parts are gone now. I have some steering, suspension parts remaining and lots of other smaller items but will deal with them later as they don't take up much room. Space consuming items are first to go. No LS engines planned. Do plan to build a 350/350 or 350/400 motor over the winter.
Freebies almost gone.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Skybolt
Instructor

Originally Posted by AllC34Me
... I purchased a Harbor Freight two container tumbling system (called a rock tumbler) and I have been using it to clean up rust old nuts, bolts, and smaller brackets from the various cars I have had in the past couple of years. ...
Curious why you didn't go with a vibration tumbler? I have never used one, so sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:54 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Skybolt
Curious why you didn't go with a vibration tumbler? I have never used one, so sorry if this is a dumb question.
Not a dumb question at all. I have a forum friend who used the vibration tumbler and it didnt work as well. I think the tumbler style allows more impact between bolts and media which removes rust better. My theory anyway.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Skybolt
Instructor

Not a dumb question at all. I have a forum friend who used the vibration tumbler and it didnt work as well. I think the tumbler style allows more impact between bolts and media which removes rust better. My theory anyway.
Ah, thats a good point, wasn't thinking in that direction. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:13 PM
tyrant
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

I love my tumbler! Saved countless money on nuts, bolts and whatever else I can jam in mine. Thanks David!
Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

I have told a few other forum members about this which I learned from another forum member some time back and I wanted to share it openly here.

I purchased a Harbor Freight two container tumbling system (called a rock tumbler) and I have been using it to clean up rust old nuts, bolts, and smaller brackets from the various cars I have had in the past couple of years. I use the green ceramic media that you also can get from harbor freight to knock the rust off. If the parts are really greasy I put some simple green in with the tumbler media and the parts come out clean and degreased. I have also used black beauty sandblasting media when I want to cut through tough rust and I have used glass beads as well to get a polished affect. Play with it and see what you like best for your applications.

After tumbling them to a near new finish I clear the threads with a tap and die tool (bought from harbor freight too) and they are then ready to go back into service. To prevent them from rusting out quickly again I hit them with a clear coat Rustoleum after installation and they last a long, long, long time.

I just sent 20 old lug nuts that went through this process to another forum member and they were delighted to get them. I have used this method on distributor hold down brackets, half shaft mounting hardware, emergency brake frame brackets, steering box bolts, headlight assembly bolts and shafts and springs, and much more.

The key is not to overload the tumbler, rather a smaller load will get you better results and then turn it on and let it run.

I hope you find this helpful. PM or write if you have comments or questions on this, be glad to help if I can. Happy restoring and best regards,

David Howard
AllC34Me
Sounds interesting. How big is the tumble? I want to do the hood latches on my 74.
Thanks
Old 06-04-2016, 12:30 AM
JCare
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After seeing David's results and set up, we went out and purchased one too. I also got a jug of HB rust removing tumbler media, and one of their polishing media. So far, I am not sure the polishing media is worth it, but it may be user related. I have gotten good results from using just the rust removing media. Thanks for the thoughts on using blasting media David, I may try some of that too.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:05 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by red topless gator
Sounds interesting. How big is the tumble? I want to do the hood latches on my 74.
Thanks
Two points of note based on your question. First, the canisters are only about three inches in diameter and that may be your limiting factor. The second point of note is weight. If you put too much weight in the canisters they will not roll on the tumbler and will sit and squeal.

For small parts, perfect. Medium to large parts, not so much.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:07 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by JCare
After seeing David's results and set up, we went out and purchased one too. I also got a jug of HB rust removing tumbler media, and one of their polishing media. So far, I am not sure the polishing media is worth it, but it may be user related. I have gotten good results from using just the rust removing media. Thanks for the thoughts on using blasting media David, I may try some of that too.
Good point Jonathan. The large triangle polishing media has not proven to be of much help in my parts. I have used the green ceramic media the most, but other forms of media may be affective as well. Black beauty blast media takes a bit longer and you need to wash the parts after tumbling, I use simple green, but again, other solutions may work as well.

Let us know if you find something else that works too please.

Thanks.

David
Old 06-04-2016, 04:28 PM
tyrant
Pro

Originally Posted by red topless gator
Thanks

Here is a hood hinge in the tumbler. As David stated it is great for smaller parts but unfortunately has its limitations. I am running the hinge now and will update when it's done in about 2 days. I've tried rear bumper brackets and some work well others can't get the ends.
<br >

Last edited by tyrant; 06-04-2016 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 07:08 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by tyrant
Here is a hood hinge in the tumbler. As David stated it is great for smaller parts but unfortunately has its limitations. I am running the hinge now and will update when it's done in about 2 days. I've tried rear bumper brackets and some work well others can't get the ends.
<br >
I never tried the hinge, nicely done, thanks for sharing this picture.
David
Old 06-05-2016, 07:26 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Over time I have accumulated quite a few bolts, nuts, etc. This is just the loose stuff here that I go through from time to time when I need a nut or bolt for a build. I have bolts and nuts sorted too and in bags identifying them so when and if I need them I have plenty to choose from and put back into service. This bunch hasn't had their threads cleared yet, just tumbled clean again ready for whatever comes next. I leant out my bolt identification chart which I use to match what bolt goes where but I will get it back soon. Fun time filler project for sure.
Name:  BoltsBoltsBolts1.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  215.4 KB
Old 06-05-2016, 08:59 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

David Howard
AllC34Me
Davis
If you go to Lowes or home depot get two 5 gallon plastic buckets 4 gallons swimming pool acid a large box of baking soda then put 4 gallons of water in one bucket with baking soda and put 4 gallons (be very careful wear rubber gloves) acid in other bucket .take hood hinges and hook piece of wire to them lower slowly into acid overnight lift out into soda water to neutralize acid then air dry or I put them in some lacquer thinner .Side note get lids for buckets when not in use cover buckets and wear a paint breathing mask .This will take the worst rust off and larger parts will look new
Wes

Get notified of new replies

To Tumbler Parts Cleaning and Repurposing

Old 06-05-2016, 11:05 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tyrant
<br >
Thanks, doesn't look like the hood latch would fit. Standing by for the outcome on yours.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:14 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Heading out to HF with my 20% off coupon....

Any updates on size limitations and the results with the hinge?

I like the swimming pool acid idea.
Getting real close to separating and cleaning parts and don't want to sandblast everything.

Txs

Happy 2017 y'all.

Dennis
Old 01-05-2017, 07:27 AM
tyrant
Pro

Dennis it came out really nice. There was a little pitting that comes out black after tumbling. I will dig it up tonight when I get home.

Quick Reply: Tumbler Parts Cleaning and Repurposing