Sponsored by:

Sad sight - Makes me want to cry

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:15 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbafatt
Dang why you making us feel bad haha, that is a good point though.

Forgive me sometimes I can come off like shark skin on 80 grit,
I got cheated out of working on the 69 today some tropical storm but, yet dawned on me when we have a buddy with a down c3 that he is "gonna" restore he knows we know vettes he might be a bit hurt that we never offered to help but only offer to buy something that might be very sentimental to him.

Originally Posted by doorgunner
BATS........let's hope our kids store us in a nice dry garage when the time comes for a complete restoration......until they get around to it....

LOL!
I only have a step daughter and she will likely place me in a glad bag and sit me by the curb....

On a side note a few years ago my wife would hit garage sales and many times due to health my nerves and heat I would stay home sleep in,
She came in and told me of a car and after showing her pictures it was likely a modded/race c2, in a garage warehouse type place, the owner wanted it gone, and just needed someone to "give him a few for it and dig it out" she said it was all piled up...but looked great from what she could see.

I said lets go see it, and get ready, she didn't remember where it was...
Old 06-06-2016, 09:54 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Anyone else notice the knock off's on the car? Considering the vintage paint job I'd be willing to bet they are the real deal. Hopefully he'll either sell it or fix it someday soon.

Willcox
Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Sunset Orng 05
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Any of you asked these buddies if they might want help fixing the car up or just badger them to sell it to you?
I am in the process of a frame off on my 78 Pace Car but yes, I have asked to help. Even drove to his house with a mechanic with the intention of pushing him into starting on it but all he did was take us out for a cup of coffee. His daughters husband just retired from the US Marine Corps where he was an auto mechanic and he too has offered to assist. His daughter was so much looking forward to being a Corvette owner that she finally went out and bought her own C5.

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Anyone else notice the knock off's on the car? Considering the vintage paint job I'd be willing to bet they are the real deal. Hopefully he'll either sell it or fix it someday soon.

Willcox
He is the original owner, not sure of what documentation he has kept over the years though. As I mentioned earlier in this post, he is having his Grand National painted as we speak and then he says he will work on the C2. I just hate to see it sitting there acting as a shelf.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sunset Orng 05
I am in the process of a frame off on my 78 Pace Car but yes, I have asked to help. Even drove to his house with a mechanic with the intention of pushing him into starting on it but all he did was take us out for a cup of coffee. His daughters husband just retired from the US Marine Corps where he was an auto mechanic and he too has offered to assist. His daughter was so much looking forward to being a Corvette owner that she finally went out and bought her own C5.

He is the original owner, not sure of what documentation he has kept over the years though. As I mentioned earlier in this post, he is having his Grand National painted as we speak and then he says he will work on the C2. I just hate to see it sitting there acting as a shelf.
I wish I had a buddy offering to help me with mine, no, my so called buddies just take my time , money and trust and in return damage my car.

we can all be sad its just sitting and at least you did offer to help, but he doesn't want the help,
mech son in law vette loving daughter and the cat is a buddy, let him drag his feet all he wants respect him in that the car is obviously in a good family.
After a while it's just badgering the poor soul.
I would bet you a coke that if he wanted to sell it you would be the fist cat he hit up.

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-07-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:39 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

well it could be worse,it could be a c3.from whence we all came.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:32 PM
wisoutlaw
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
My brother in law has a 67 convertible in the exact same condition - for the last 30 years. Otherwise, he is a rational person.
My '69 convertible sat that way in my brother's garage for 28 years. I got it for A fair price from his estate. It's two years into its restoration now.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:08 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I`m on the fence with this. Wife & I have been building cars ogether for 30 years.
I fully understand having one sit... un-touched... and used as a shelf. But on the other hand, I have a bunch of boys, most of whom are gear-heads, and they`ve done a lot of work on these cars. Some run, some need a little finishing, some just need a tag & insurance & cobwebs blown out of the carb.
I also get the "sentimental" part. Every one of our cars has some serious attachment to one son or the other. They all are looking to inherit... so the idea of selling anything gets quickly shot down.
This 71 Vette will be our retirement toy, and most likely our last project.
Besides, ya gotta have some place to put the other car`s parts! But we`ve cleaned the up garage since this shot was taken....

Old 06-08-2016, 05:20 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldgto
I`m on the fence with this. Wife & I have been building cars ogether for 30 years.
I fully understand having one sit... un-touched... and used as a shelf. But on the other hand, I have a bunch of boys, most of whom are gear-heads, and they`ve done a lot of work on these cars. Some run, some need a little finishing, some just need a tag & insurance & cobwebs blown out of the carb.
I also get the "sentimental" part. Every one of our cars has some serious attachment to one son or the other. They all are looking to inherit... so the idea of selling anything gets quickly shot down.
This 71 Vette will be our retirement toy, and most likely our last project.
Besides, ya gotta have some place to put the other car`s parts! But we`ve cleaned the up garage since this shot was taken....

Jim, stop showing off all your coolness....jk...

I just feel that asking a buddy a time or two to buy their project that isn't getting touched is one thing badgering and hounding isn't cool,
I sort of put in in the same file as getting upset when someone mods a car that some cat doesn't like and they go on long belittling rants about it.

"Hey bats you ruined that corvette"
Old 06-08-2016, 09:14 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
[COLOR="Blue"]
Jim, stop showing off all your coolness....jk...

I see lots of cool stuff in there. My garage aspires to be as cool some day!

As for the thread subject: always painful to see a project just sitting there, unrealized and stagnant, when you are ready, willing, and able to take it on. Sounds like you've done all you can do, trying to provide some motivation. Perhaps the owner will give you first dibs if/when he decides to let it go. Perhaps not. C'est la vie
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:42 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Sentimental value is not something that can be speculated. No one really knows the "why" people hold on to the "dream" someday they will get to "restore" that long hibernating "project" back to it's former glory. It's not all that unusual so there might be something to it.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:17 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Sentimental value is not something that can be speculated. No one really knows the "why" people hold on to the "dream" someday they will get to "restore" that long hibernating "project" back to it's former glory. It's not all that unusual so there might be something to it.

We have many pictures of our kids helping and working on the cars. Each kid is connected to one car or the other. We have pictures of our oldest.... wet sanding in a diaper... on the GTO. It was supposed to be his car. Now that we lost him, his brother will get it one day. So there is way more sentimental value than any price could cover.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:43 AM
Sunset Orng 05
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

[IMG]
Every time I visit him I just cringe at the sight. I always ask to buy it but he says he is going to restore it someday for his daughter. I'll keep trying though, he may change his mind.
I just feel that asking a buddy a time or two to buy their project that isn't getting touched is one thing badgering and hounding isn't cool,
Bats I think I know where your coming from and I agree about badgering. I may have led you to believe that I ask this guy on a daily/weekly basis but the truth is I only see him about twice a year and yes, I usually ask him if he is ready to sell me the car or begin the restoration process. I think that he knows that I know that he isn't going to sell it to me but rather that I 'm just trying to light a fire under his butt to make this sentimental beauty something his daughter will be proud to have. I also don't hesitate to remind him that I will gladly help him with his efforts when he's ready to start.
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 08:14 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Bats I think I know where your coming from and I agree about badgering. I may have led you to believe that I ask this guy on a daily/weekly basis but the truth is I only see him about twice a year and yes, I usually ask him if he is ready to sell me the car or begin the restoration process. I think that he knows that I know that he isn't going to sell it to me but rather that I 'm just trying to light a fire under his butt to make this sentimental beauty something his daughter will be proud to have. I also don't hesitate to remind him that I will gladly help him with his efforts when he's ready to start.
I do get it and agree it is sad, around 78-80 I badgered the hell out of an old cat to sell or swap me his 58-62 corvette old race car flared big ugly scoop no chrome missing door skin no engine, I was like arnie was over Christine over that car, he didn't ever restore it I heard it went cut up to the dump,

Back then was another house we would drive by, run down and in the carport an odd run down Mercedes, old sign over the car on the carport roof edge "not for sale"
It wasn't until a few decades later I learned that was a gull wing.

It is sad I just respect the owners, I guess more so since my slow progress on my 69 and it's sad state has been used as fodder for some cats here who find that a great yet pseudo belittling tool...

Quick Reply: Sad sight - Makes me want to cry