Flat spot on tires??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:35 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Flat spot on tires??

Opinions please .......About 5 years ago I put a new set of T/A Radials on my 74 BB. Unfortunately it has sat in my (dry) basement for as long as TWO years at a time and never moved. I estimate those T/A's have about 800 miles on them. Lately I have time to get it out for an occasional drive and the tires WILL NOT balance. Terrible tire vibration over 60 mph. Discount Tire says they have permanent flat spots and will never ever run smooth.

Agree ....? Thanks!

I am about to get some new tires so I can once again enjoy this car.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:57 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I agree with the tire shop. They will get flat spots if they sit in the same spot for that long . If you know that it is going to sit that long it's a good idea to put the car up on jack stands and take the weight off of the tires.
The following users liked this post:
fotyfobravo (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 09:14 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

I know this sounds crazy, and I haven't done this in a very long time, but when I was a bit younger we would get flat spots on bias ply tires once in awhile. We would fix them by doing a few burnouts........it used to work...

And then just drive on them for awhile. They would round out again. Not sure about the tires you have of there now but what do you have to lose?

Last edited by ed427vette; 06-07-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:18 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Originally Posted by bj1k
I agree with the tire shop. They will get flat spots if they sit in the same spot for that long . If you know that it is going to sit that long it's a good idea to put the car up on jack stands and take the weight off of the tires.

Sounded reasonable ...... just wanted a verification before I replaced tires with so few miles on em'. Serves me right for not driving the old hog!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:25 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Originally Posted by ed427vette
I know this sounds crazy, and I haven't done this in a very long time, but when I was a bit younger we would get flat spots on bias ply tires once in awhile. We would fix them by doing a few burnouts........it used to work...

And then just drive on them for awhile. They would round out again. Not sure about the tires you have of there now but what do you have to lose?
Sounds like some Donuts are necessary ! 👍😝 worth a try!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:03 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Sounds like you have some tires to waste....why not?
Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I've never gotten flat spots from sitting for years unless the tires went flat, but it can happen...either way if they were indoors and not exposed to ozone (like running machines next to them regularly--you did say basement), I would drive them and wear them in a bit. I've put used tires on vehicles, not my expensive vette though, that had bad spots or were take-off's that were very mis-worn from bad shocks and after a thousand miles or so, they wear in and are just fine...

you could probably sell them used and recoup some cash to someone that doesn't mind, just make sure you tell them why you are replacing them...dynabeads may help too, I actually use those in my new c4 tires and my truck since my spin balancer quit working...
Old 06-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

You may want to read up on tire lifespan, some recommend replacing after five years, miles or no miles.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:38 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by gungatim
I've never gotten flat spots from sitting for years unless the tires went flat, but it can happen...either way if they were indoors and not exposed to ozone (like running machines next to them regularly--you did say basement), I would drive them and wear them in a bit. I've put used tires on vehicles, not my expensive vette though, that had bad spots or were take-off's that were very mis-worn from bad shocks and after a thousand miles or so, they wear in and are just fine...

you could probably sell them used and recoup some cash to someone that doesn't mind, just make sure you tell them why you are replacing them...dynabeads may help too, I actually use those in my new c4 tires and my truck since my spin balancer quit working...
Dynabeads work well for balancing on good tires but wouldn't do a thing for flat spots.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:53 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
You may want to read up on tire lifespan, some recommend replacing after five years, miles or no miles.
that's why I mentioned ozone and storing inside. but yes normally 7-10 yrs. is replacement time, miles or no, unless they are stored properly and don't see sun/ozone/UV...
Old 06-09-2016, 07:43 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Flat spots on bias belt are not the same as flat spots of radials.

You can sometimes work the flat spot out of a bias belt; much harder to do with a radial.

Use them for garage roll arounds.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:16 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
Use them for garage roll arounds.
Or as said BURNOUTS!

Actually, as far as 15 in tires are going the way of dinosaurs, save 'em for the museum

Get notified of new replies

To Flat spot on tires??

Quick Reply: Flat spot on tires??