C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bumpers and Used T-Tops Questions!

Old 06-09-2016, 07:43 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default New Bumpers and Used T-Tops Questions!

So my 78's bumpers are yellow and powdery from sitting in the sun so i'm gonna get some new bumpers, the problem is I dont know whether to get fiberglass or the flex fit? What is better? Also I found a set of used glass T-Tops for $100 and I was wondering if its a good deal to get them even though they are cracked (Not sure if they leak) but is it possible to make them look normal again and just use them when I want glass instead of the solid ones I have? Thanks for the help! <br > <br > <br >
Old 06-09-2016, 09:50 PM
ATIS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used the flex fit fiberglass ones on my 75 when I had to replace them. They fit decent and I havent had any issues 3 years later but she is garage kept so she doesnt sun bake all the time.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:22 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

There are 3 types of bumpers, the flexible urethane that originally camme on the car, rigid fiberglass and flexible fiberglass. I personally prefer ACI's Tru-Flex brand of flexible fiberglass bumpers.

The urethane ones have the most give to them, and are factory correct, if that's your goal. The rigid verse flexible fiberglass, is really just a matter of personal preference. I like the flexible ones, because they at least give the illusion of being urethane, though they are no where near as flexible.

Fit wise, they can all present problems. After 30-40 years, the bodies on a lot of these cars, ahve changed from when they left the factory. With the either of the fiberglass bumpers, fit issues can be addressed by sanding, grinding or filling the bumper. With urethane bumpers, the only way to correct fit issues, is to do body work on the car.

The rigid fiberglass are the cheapest, with the flexible glass ones slightly more expensive, and the real urethane ones quit a bit more.

There is no way to make cracked glass tops look "normal" again, other than having them restored with new glass. $100 is a pretty good deal for a pair of broken tops. The rebuilders will give you about $100 each for them. You can turn them in as cores, for a pair of restored glass tops, and save about $400 over the cost of a pair of glass ones bought outright.
The following users liked this post:
Snoopysvet (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
There are 3 types of bumpers, the flexible urethane that originally camme on the car, rigid fiberglass and flexible fiberglass. I personally prefer ACI's Tru-Flex brand of flexible fiberglass bumpers.

The urethane ones have the most give to them, and are factory correct, if that's your goal. The rigid verse flexible fiberglass, is really just a matter of personal preference. I like the flexible ones, because they at least give the illusion of being urethane, though they are no where near as flexible.

Fit wise, they can all present problems. After 30-40 years, the bodies on a lot of these cars, ahve changed from when they left the factory. With the either of the fiberglass bumpers, fit issues can be addressed by sanding, grinding or filling the bumper. With urethane bumpers, the only way to correct fit issues, is to do body work on the car.

The rigid fiberglass are the cheapest, with the flexible glass ones slightly more expensive, and the real urethane ones quit a bit more.

There is no way to make cracked glass tops look "normal" again, other than having them restored with new glass. $100 is a pretty good deal for a pair of broken tops. The rebuilders will give you about $100 each for them. You can turn them in as cores, for a pair of restored glass tops, and save about $400 over the cost of a pair of glass ones bought outright.
Is there a supporting vendor that repairs cracked glass, I have a cracked one too.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:04 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoopysvet
Is there a supporting vendor that repairs cracked glass, I have a cracked one too.
There is only one company that restores the tops, using glass like the originals, Melrose T-Tops. Most of the Corvette vendors are dealers for Melrose, so pick your favorite, and give them a call.

Thompson Astrotops restores factory tops too, but they use acrylic panels, not glass. Their tops are a little cheaper, weigh a little less, and come in 3 or 4 colors, but because they're plastic, they don't look quite like original tops. Thompson doesn't offer much of a discount to wholesale customers, so not many of the Corvette vendors sell their tops. Most people end up having to deal direct with Thompson, who I don't think is a Supporting Vendor?

Get notified of new replies

To New Bumpers and Used T-Tops Questions!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Bumpers and Used T-Tops Questions!