Sponsored by:

Bonding in inner fenders

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 01:26 PM
E.Murray
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bonding in inner fenders

I think the plan for installing the front clip is coming together. Slowly... Thanks to rvzio and OldGTO, I think I have a plan for the header bar and headlights to get the gaps good. Next problem: inner fenders and hood positioning.
I don't want to bond the fenders in before the front clip because I'm afraid the hood hinges will be "off" and the hood gap will be bad. But I'm not sure how to line up the hood (I assume the clip would need to be installed to get it right), then bond the fenders.
So, here's what I'm thinking. I will drill a few holes and use temporary rivets (from Eastwood for sheet metal work) to hold the inner fenders in about the right spot until the clip is on. Then, I can bolt the hood to the hinges and shim it so it fits right. Then bond the fenders in with the hood in place.
Does that make sense?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:56 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

The inner fenders were already in the front clip I bought, but I think they should fit right in where they belong. With the way the edges are shaped, you could easily tell if it wasn`t in right.
Again, if you can get the clip upside down, you can maybe "test fit" the fender wells to see where they sit before applying glue.
And there are different working times for the glue... you can get a quick one, or one with more time to slide stuff around and adjust a little before it sets up.
There is some adjustment... in a couple different ways... for the hood hinges, to be able to move it side to side and fore & aft once the clip is installed.

The following 2 users liked this post by oldgto:
KYC4 (06-14-2016), The13Bats (06-14-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 07:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You can do as you wish...obviously...but drilling holes and using rivets that will require more work to repair them is NOT needed.

What year are you working on and is the front clip a one piece hand laid part or an original clip??? Reason I am asking is that depending on the year...there may me many thing you need to take care of first before you bond on the clip.

I am willing to help you if you want it...and this may require us talking on the phone versus typing for hours....so the choice is yours. PM me if you are interested.

I do know that I can have the inner skirts bonded in a the front so the hood is set and then bond the clip on and then bond the rear inner skirt portion on. But that is after MUCH setting up of the front clip and getting things marked so when you go to bond it on...you will have no doubt that you have it correct.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
KYC4 (06-14-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 10:14 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

One of the clips that I installed on a 68 needed the drivers side inner fender replaced and as old GTO said you can see if you turn the clip upside down , where the original spot for mounting is . I glued mine on in that area and had no fitting problems when the front clip was installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by bj1k:
KYC4 (06-14-2016), The13Bats (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 11:52 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default What I used, ....

I ordered and studied the DVD's from Glas Ra to bond my 72 hood surround on. Came out great and I spent a lot of time fitting all of the parts beforehand. Also used a minimal number of 1/4 or #12 screws and bolts to locate pieces before bonding. These DVD's are a little pricey but extremely through and educational (actually the DVD's are cheap compared to importance of getting it right).

http://www.glas-ra.com/

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by bj1k
One of the clips that I installed on a 68 needed the drivers side inner fender replaced and as old GTO said you can see if you turn the clip upside down , where the original spot for mounting is . I glued mine on in that area and had no fitting problems when the front clip was installed.
YEP...sometimes you can also be LUCKY beyond your wildest imagination....and WHY did I respond to this....WELL...because I have had Corvettes brought to my shop or had to go over to peoples homes where they are doing their own work and they ask me how I can get the hood to drop down because it is too high at where the hinge is located...and that is due to when they bonded in the inner skirt...they had it too high. Thus...the hood is too high.

DUB
Old 06-15-2016, 12:53 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YEP...sometimes you can also be LUCKY beyond your wildest imagination....and WHY did I respond to this....WELL...because I have had Corvettes brought to my shop or had to go over to peoples homes where they are doing their own work and they ask me how I can get the hood to drop down because it is too high at where the hinge is located...and that is due to when they bonded in the inner skirt...they had it too high. Thus...the hood is too high.

DUB
Maybe it helped that I was in the restoration business for over 25 years and total body shop experience of over 40 years.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by bj1k
Maybe it helped that I was in the restoration business for over 25 years and total body shop experience of over 40 years.
YEAH...but no one knew that until you mentioned it (or at least I missed a post where you did mention it)....and at least I NOW know about you and your experience. It is good to know that.

So ...you then KNOW that what I wrote CAN happen....with your experience in the industry. And with that...you also know that it IS possible that it can be bonded on incorrectly...regardless of OUR experience. Regardless of our decades of doing this type of work...it NEVER allows us to just put something together without some effort or forethought. Unless you have the MIDAS touch and everything falls into place.....for me....it often times is an uphill battle getting things to fit just right....especially dealing with many aftermarket reproduction parts.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Bonding in inner fenders

Quick Reply: Bonding in inner fenders