Sponsored by:

Need Some Help Re: steering and brake/clutch assembly on a '69

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:15 AM
ronj024
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Some Help Re: steering and brake/clutch assembly on a '69

I'm new to the c3 world and test drove my first yesterday, a red '69 coupe. Nice car, body, paint and interior all appear to be in great shape. It is a manual steering car and I would want to convert that to power steering and, possibly, rack and pinion. One thing that disturbed me was the proximity of the gas and brake pedals. I literally could not put my foot on the gas without hitting the brake pedal unless I turned my foot sideways (I was wearing athletic shoes). I can't imagine that is how these cars came from the factory. The guy said that it had a Borg-Warner transmission and, since these cars came with Muncies, I'm wondering if this car was originally and automatic and when it was converted to a 4-speed, the brake/clutch pedal assembly was installed too close to the gas pedal. To any of you experts out there, does that sound like a possibility and, if so, would that be difficult to correct? Also, to anyone who has installed power steering and/or a rack & pinion set-up, is that too difficult for a weekend mechanic?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi r,
Here's the typical clutch/brake/accelerator configuration and spacing for a 4-speed car.
How does it compare to what you saw?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-06-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:18 PM
ronj024
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi r,
Here's the typical clutch/brake/accelerator configuration and spacing for a 4-speed car.
How does it compare to what you saw?
Regards,
Alan

Hard for me to compare the two by looking. I just couldn't believe that the spacing was such that I couldn't even put my foot flat on the accelerator without hitting the brake.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Take and post some pics of what you have -that will help. Take pics of your pedal assembly and your transmission. I have just added power steering to my '68 Coupe sbc and I am by no means a professional mechanic. Very doable job. There are photos on my thread of GiddyUp Go Daddy's Vette. Will be putting on last piece tonight. You may want to consider the Borgenson upgrade, it looks very good and simple. Very popular here on the forum and done by guys like yourself. I did the factory change-over simply because that was in my basket of parts. Welcome aboard - lots of good information here and guys with lots of knowledge that are willing to help. But to make good recommendations they will need more info (sbc, bbc, etc) and pics. Don't be afraid to jump in and good luck!
Old 07-06-2016, 05:21 PM
ronj024
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Take and post some pics of what you have -that will help. Take pics of your pedal assembly and your transmission. I have just added power steering to my '68 Coupe sbc and I am by no means a professional mechanic. Very doable job. There are photos on my thread of GiddyUp Go Daddy's Vette. Will be putting on last piece tonight. You may want to consider the Borgenson upgrade, it looks very good and simple. Very popular here on the forum and done by guys like yourself. I did the factory change-over simply because that was in my basket of parts. Welcome aboard - lots of good information here and guys with lots of knowledge that are willing to help. But to make good recommendations they will need more info (sbc, bbc, etc) and pics. Don't be afraid to jump in and good luck!
The car is a two-hour drive away from me and I won't go back to see it again unless I intend to buy it at that time so I really can't post photos. I really appreciate all of the other information. I will check out the Borgenson kit.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:08 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ronj024
I'm wondering if this car was originally and automatic and when it was converted to a 4-speed, the brake/clutch pedal assembly was installed too close to the gas pedal. To any of you experts out there, does that sound like a possibility and, if so, would that be difficult to correct?

original 4 speed cars had a welded in trans crossmember, automatic cars had a bolt in crossmember, clutch & brake pedals only go in one way.
The following users liked this post:
ronj024 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 11:55 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

on my 66 stick and 72 stick I would drive barefoot/sock foot, I have big wide feet size 11 and like big clunky boots and they anyways hits something down there.....even on rare times I would wear old converse tennis shoes they would hit stuff two pedals etc.

But I normally drive barefoot/sock foot I like the "feel" better.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:26 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ronj024
...(I was wearing athletic shoes). ...
^^^ is your answer. Most athletic/tennis/sneaker/running/etc. shoes today are a lot wider on the outside than the shoes anyone wore 50 years ago.

Having had my car for nearly 40 years, and my shoe size not changing, I know that once they didn't hit and today they do, thanks only to the difference in the type of shoe.

And yes, it is that tight.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 07-07-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Some Help Re: steering and brake/clutch assembly on a '69

Quick Reply: Need Some Help Re: steering and brake/clutch assembly on a '69